Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » every day objects for dummies

Author Topic: every day objects for dummies
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a post-apocalyptic tale in which the young MC comes across a room full of what we know as everyday objects. He doesn't know what they are, or what they are called. I describe them: Radio, Kettle, Toaster, a couple of other things.

Question is, how deep into detail should I go, as not to annoy the reader by describing things they know rather well, but to give enough detail so the reader knows what I'm talking about. Does that make sense?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think you would need to describe striking characteristics, one or two per object, in order to get the point across. Having your MC relate these characteristics to something different entirely isn't a terribly bad idea - it would both illuminate his ignorance and give a fresh view of objects we take for granted.

Radio - "There was a small box up on a shelf, half hidden in the shadows. The light from my candle glinted off of a metal grill on the front of the box, obscuring whatever was trapped behind it."

Toaster - "A rusty silver box hung from the ceiling, dangling from a long black cord. Sarah bent low to avoid bumping into it. Two long parallel openings glared at her as she passed beneath, dark eyes evaluating her like an ancient pagan god whose statue judged the hearts of warriors."

I'd say take only the most brief look at the vast collection of objects and not go overboard on detail. Point out a few obvious ones that would grab your MC's attention, and maybe focus on the specific item that is important in this room (unless the room is important in itself).

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited August 21, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Radio I get...kettle I don't. Are they so primitive they don't have an analog of a kettle?

As to a radio, small box made of strange slcik wood with lots of small symbols and scratching on the front, nobs like a toy that spin and spin.

Toaster, metal box with a small lever that causes the springs inside to go up and down.

Keep in mind just because they are primitive doesn't mean ignorant and vice versa. Even though they might not be able to divine the use of the items they may very well understand the principles of how they mechanically function.

Battlefield Earth did a pretty entertaining job with the genius/clever savage in Jonny Goodboy Tyler.

Good luck I love post apocalypse fiction.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Try describing them in as few words as possible, maybe? Just enough to give a hint as to what it might be, maybe leave it at single sentences?

Radio - "appears to be a small civilian communications device"

Toaster - "poking at the slot(s) revealed slim, mumified bread crumbs"

Kettle - kettles themselves aren't exactly a modern invention - they've been around in one form or another for about as long as we've been labeling years with "A.D." and are pretty basic to culinary needs (they're useful for heating up potable portable water, which in turn is necessary for distillation, and sanitation). Likely your MC will be able to immediately identify even an electric kettle right away, although he or she would likely wonder what all the transparent plastic-y doo-dads are for.

Also, in regards to plastic - it's likely your MC will recognize plastic as well, and it's also likely that at least some forms of plastic would still be used in a post-apocalyptic society, whether they be salvaged and improvised from existing forms (stripped plastic molding and other parts from an abandoned car reshaped into weapons and picks, for example) or even still manufactured (they might still be able to make some forms of primitive plastics like cellulite, bakelite, and of course, rubber). Either way, just because there will likely be so much plastic litter around, and they would likely reshape that litter into useful forms, I wouldn't be surprised if they readily recognize even specific forms of plastic.

[This message has been edited by The G-Bus Man (edited August 21, 2007).]

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
what stage is your post-apocalyptic society in? Have they reverted back to a non-technological stone-age type society? Do they still have technology? (electricity, in particular, even if it's now generated by water and wind rather than nuclear...) - that would advise a lot of decisions about which artifacts to focus on, and how different they might seem from the things your MC would know. I would suggest that you might want to "spend more time with your characters" to figure out what things are most different/alien, and describe THOSE (though perhaps you've done that and have come up with radio, toaster, and kettle, though as others have pointed out - kettle is a bit problematic becuase it's such a standard...)

Forgive me if I'm telling you something you know already, I'm reading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, and she talks a LOT about getting to know your characters. It's making me wonder if I should set up a house for them all. A little Character Halfway House where I can leave them when I'm not writing.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah even in the "bombed back to the stone age" notion of post-apocalyptic reality you still have to know at least two things to survive ie fire and food.

Kettles as they were known to our forefathers while generally requiring metal Casting technology to use are actually pretty rare, in today's world of electric stoves and microwaves.

Additionally, who is your MC and who is his teacher?

The social realities at play here are really important, Nancy Kress calls this Imaginary toads/Real toads.

Is your MC basically what we would call a country boy? or is this MC more a townie?

I'm going to assume that you're MC is white which in itself indicates certain realities of the type of community that would have developed post-apocalyptic.

What part of the world is this taking place? Here too we'd find different realities presenting themselves.

The fact is that if an economic melt down occurred tomorrow and the US government lost solvency, the resulting communities would be vastly different about every 150 miles or so and small changes would take place immediately while major changes would begin to take hold in about 35 years or so (approximately 1/2 generation by "modern" standards which of course would be a worthless standard when the modern world no longer exists)

Unless you know the basics of what kind of social reality your character exists in you will never be able to convincingly portray your character.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited August 21, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post 
Piers Anthony has a series of, iguess you could call them novellas, called Battle Circle, which deals with a post apocolyptic world which has reverted back to primitive technology. Though how true this is becomes debateable as you continue to discover more about the society. Look it up for some ideas.

The MC describes shapes and possible uses, sometimes completely wrong other times unknowingly accurate.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
A Canticle for Liebowitz is good at this one too.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks guys, some good ideas and thoughts here.

Good point about the kettle - he would know the non electric type. There is electricity but he doesn't know about it for part of the story and not many people have it.

G-man - yeh, you're exactly right about the plastic, there's a lot of it around.

I'm growing up with this character, with him when he learns new things. He's seven when the story starts, eighteen when it ends. He learns much.

Who is his teacher? A mad old man, but mostly, himself.

I'm battling at the moment with a slight plausibility problem with this story. I set it around the year 2050, about thirty years after the events that destroyed the world as it is today. I'm now wondering if things could revert back as much as they have that quickly. I could easily set it another fifty years in the future, but that would mean the old man, a chracter that influences the MC, who says he was born in 1988, and has lived through both times, obviously couldn't have done that. I could make the old man, lets say, the son of the man born in 1988, pretending to be him, to influence the MC (its an important part of the story so couldn't change that). Most of what the old man tells the MC is lies anyway, so one more wouldn't make any difference.

All it would change is a few paragraphs at the end, but I'm unsure whether to do this. I've been with the idea a while, and am resistant to changing it, but would to give it credibility. Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited August 22, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with the thoughts about "kettle"...it and "toaster" would be fine if the room in question were the kitchen...but a "radio" probably wouldn't be that large a box mounted in too prominent a position. In this day and age---presumably the starting point for the post-apocalypse---it'd be either a small thing or a function combined with other functions on something else, like a boombox or CD player or MP3 (and with that we're back to tiny thing).
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Well, first of all you do need to be careful to avoid what Gardner Dozois calls the "1950's Syndrome"

The three things you've listed are distinctly outdated things especially if you're planning for the apocalypse to take place in 2020.

As to credibility its really hard to build credibility of a world wide event in 5000-7000 words.

You could try to brush off the cause of the apocalypse with statements about survival and what not.

ultimately, the question is what kind of story is this? A Character or an Idea story, as the choice will dictate how you construct the characters.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

quote:
As to credibility its really hard to build credibility of a world wide event in 5000-7000 words.

Matt, its a novel, going to end at around 120,000-130,000 words.

It's definately a character story. It follows the life of Zechariah, through ten years. His chioces and actions dictate the story.

I'm not sure about toasters, kettles, radios, etc being outdated. I'm sure we'll all be using them in twenty years time. 2020 is only twelve years off.

Edit to add: These items are found in a room where someone keeps a collection of 'old fashioned' items. It's got a bit of everything on it including pens, cups, dishes, soap, detergent, clothes, a lot of electirc stuff, you get the idea.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

They're are outdated for the VAST majority of Americans, even the toaster if the toaster you want is the kind they had on leave it to beaver.

However, your profile says you're from the UK and I'm assuming you're setting the story in the UK. Thus, make sure your story has a distinct flavor because it becomes important to your credibility as an author.

If your were in America, I'd say go to Wal-mart and look for your items, or visit a typical "city" kitchen to see what will be easily found and uses this for your "ancient" items.

As someone else noted a "radio" has given way to a boombox. Yes its still possible to find "just" a radio but when you say "radio" I think 1960's era transistor radio. Which in turn why would say a 1960's era transistor radio be the thing this crazy old person who was supposedly born in 1988 and thus 32 at the time of the apocalypse have 1)had access to things two decades older than himself or 2)kept things that were two decades older than himself.

But since this is a novel, well then in my opinion, most of the rules change. For novels you can build more quirks into your characters and a more depth to your world.

Just make sure what ever you do is plausible for your world and your characters and its should be fine.

darklight
Member # 5213

Matt, I'm guessing there's a vast difference between the UK and the US is regards to possessing items that are old. For example, I have a set of butter knives that I used daily, they were my grandma's from the fifties. Equally, I have a set of chairs that were my grandma's too, from the forties. It wouldn't be unknown to have a radio from the sixties, even odler than that in many houses in the UK.

However, the story is set in the US, which I'm guessing makes a difference. The toaster is only a sentance in the story, something that can easily be changed to something more suitible. I'm pretty sure I have him seeing an i-pod or mp3 too.

Edit: Leave it to Beaver?

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Wow, talk about Cultural differences.

If you don't know the TV show Leave it to Beaver, you're not missing anything on an artistic level but you are missing important cultural referents for many "liberal" (ie marxist/feminist) academic talking points. (And no such labels are not swear words or derision, I'm a sociologist and some of my colleagues are rather radical)

Okay well in America, there are some people who have generations old things but generally, these things are the exception rather than the rule. Some communities which highly value their families have a higher rate of family heirlooms, but by and large most of America's current middle class can only trace their "middle classness" to the Post-World War II economic boom where mass production of consumer goods made "quality" products widely available.

As such things that most things that are truly family heirlooms are either truly old, are things of sentimental value (ie quilts) or were bought at an antique show/store with the express purpose of being heirlooms.

Most gadgets like TVs, Computers, Radios/Boomboxs/MP3 players are not manufactured to last for years and are in fact purposefully priced to be "disposable" in a consumers mind. (Apple's Ipod comes to mind, it's expensive but not so expensive most people can't afford to upgrade every time a new version comes out)

In fact, the progression of technology is such that pre-1990 TVs are obsolete in 2009 (barring use of an adapter) when in the US all broadcast stations must use High-Definition digital signals as opposed to the current analog signals.

If this wasn't a writing forum where we're supposed to respect copyrights, I'd send you a scanned copy of Gardner Dozois's essay "Living the Future: You are What You Eat" He provides a lot of pointers I think you'd find helpful. Its found in Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy edited by Schmidt and Dozois.

Of course this book is nearly 20 years old so much of the references are out of date but the general themes are still true.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited August 22, 2007).]

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh you've missed a cultural classic here.

Leave it to Beaver - the standard for stereotypic family life in America. It was a fairly long running series in the late 50's and early 60's. See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leave_It_to_Beaver

The old - Mom and apple pie idea of American Families. Definately a cultural icon.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, not novel but Disney's Beauty and the Beast has the same issue. Ariel, the mermaid, is relying on a seagull to tell her what the things she finds on shipwrecks are for. Of course, he's wrong. Which makes some interesting bits later in the show.

Description wise, I'd stay short on details. Just give the reader enough to figure it out.

I'd say most people use toaster ovens and not the slot type toaster in the U.S. these days.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

We have a similar thing going on with our TVs. And yes, products are made these days to last only a few years - but our produts aren't as cheap as the US. I don't know if we're (the people of the UK) hoarders or we just don't like to throw stuff away.

Thanks for pointing me towards that essay, I'll have to see if I can find it.

Thanks for the info kings_falcon. I'm definately going to have use the internet for this one.

darklight
Member # 5213

I've written that section now, just want to thank everyone for pointing me in the right direction and thanks for setting me straight on US toaters. I did an internet search and got a picture to work from.

I got a little confused by boombox, until I searched and realised they're what us Brits call Stereo CD players. There you go, I've learned something today.

HuntGod, hope you don't mind, I used a variation on one of your examples.

Thanks again everyone.

Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, not novel but Disney's Beauty and the Beast has the same issue. Ariel, the mermaid, is relying on a seagull to tell her what the things she finds on shipwrecks are for. Of course, he's wrong.

I think you mean the little mermaid. Good example. It does not have to be loss of information due to a backward step in technology. I often wonder if the same thing is happening when arcaeologists are hard at work explaining what the newly dug up aftrifact, sometimes barely recognizable through the corrosion, was used for. I am sure the spirits hanging around the site are slapping their fore heads and groaning, saying "They got itw rong AGAIN"

quote:
posted August 22, 2007 10:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ohh you've missed a cultural classic here.
Leave it to Beaver - the standard for stereotypic family life in America. It was a fairly long running series in the late 50's and early 60's.

The Brit's weren't the only ones to miss out on this 'classic'? (is this due to age or quality? In another 50 years time will it become vintage?)Down here in New Zealand it is also something Ihave missed seeing, though we seem to have had a whole raft of other 'classic' shows from the states. We still have "Get Smart" and "Hogan's Heroes" playing.

Back to the subject at hand. If there has been a backward step in technology, (maybe all the electricity generation sites were destroyed and it will take 50 years just to get anything built again because of wide spread destruction of roads and infrastructure), you could have people who know what the objects should be used for but have adapted to other uses because of the inability to use them in the way the were originally intended. Anything electrical could fall into this category.

It needn't even be a post apocolyptic thing which puts us into this state. If extremist Greenies, environmentalists, were listened to and followed we would all have a wind turbine on our house, be washing clothes by hand and growing our own food. What would happen to all the existing infrastructure and paraphenalia to do with activities that were deemed environmentally unfriendly?

[This message has been edited by Howjos (edited August 22, 2007).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

You've kind of hit it there, howjos. While there are those that do know what things are, how they should be used, what they are used for now - for example though there is no national grid, some have generators or other methods of producing electricity, there are some people that have working computers - these are the things that the MC has to learn on his own. Hence, at the beginning of the novel, it would seem that everything is pretty primitive, seen through the eyes of a small boy, but by the end, it becomes aparent that the world isn't that backward, as he discovers what it has to offer.
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Darklight,

If anything I said was usefull by all means use it, I am tickled to have proved helpfull.

On a last note Stephen Baxter's series (which I didn't particular enjoy) MAnifold and it's sequels, had a sequence in which primitives were basically operating a primitive nuclear pile. Though the books were somewhat thick to slog through and they are definately "idea" driven sci-fi and not character, they might prove insightful for you in how it handles some of the technology that crops up.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"You must remember this...as time goes by..."

I guess if the apocalyptic event doesn't blow up here and now, but some point in the future of the here and now, that some changes from the standard room / kitchen would be in order.

But not everybody keeps up with the latest technology. I switched from vinyl records to CDs, but have not yet made the jump to iPods or MP3s. (I tried the latter but it broke about three months after.) I've moved from VCRs to recordable DVDs, too. But my parents never moved into CDs and don't even have a player; the DVD players they have are gifts. (My dad has a computer; my mom has never used it.)

So what you find in a kitchen will depend on the owner as much as the technology available. Somebody older might not have a microwave oven...somebody younger might have a fridge with a built-in TV. (Not to forget "money to burn"---those TV / fridge combos cost over three thousand dollars at the loacl Best Buy.)

The telephone might be in a kitchen---in a stuck-in-the-fifties house it might be the only phone, and it'd be attached to its base by a cord. Multiple phones might lie around a stuck-in-the-early-2000s house, though if the occupants embraced cellphones they might not be around at all.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's odd the similarities between describing a radio from an ignorant PoV and doing the same with a T.V. show. I wonder, if you look back through the posts about Leave it to Beaver, if you can determine the answer to your own question.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As someone else noted a "radio" has given way to a boombox.

Well, actually, even the "boombox" has given away (as they may say, "that is, like, so 1991" ) to small radios with earplugs and, since 2005, these funny little things they call "iPods" (although generically you would call them "MP3 players").

However "iPod," "MP3 Player" and even "boombox" are jargon and colloquial, while "radio" is nearly universally recognized. I would stick to familiar terms since it's better to feel slightly antiquated rather than to lose your audience. For example, we still call long-range personal weapons that emit energy or some other exotic projectile a "rifle" even though, strictly speaking, on a slug-throwing, grooved-barrel weapon relying on some form of chemical powder charge can accurately be called a "rifle."

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.