Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Only four thousand and TWO words today...

Author Topic: Only four thousand and TWO words today...
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
The last two stopped me...

THE END

So that's 95,500 words in 21 days and boy are my arms tired. Fingers, too. I don't think I'll write over the weekend.

As far as the manuscript goes--it's a beautiful slag heap of a thing, but I love it.

It needs lots of revision, but for now--it's DONE

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited September 21, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! Breathe.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty damned awesome.

I once went on a writing binge and (believe it or not) wrote a 120,000 novel in three weeks, 22 days actually. And that really took it out of me. But fortunately it was a sequel with two years of development, an intensely detailed outline, and about 30 pages of notes. So, if you did this with any less, I have the deepest respect for you.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME! Now get to work editing. *evil grin*
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... I wonder if I can match that? I can only try, lol, but I don't have enough free time from the grudges of everyday life to be able to do that, let alone 1000 words! I'll try though
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Leigh, I recommend everyone try it just once.

But I'll never do it again :P

I'm confident that 1,000 to 2,500 daily is a good range for me.

But think-- 1,000 words per day, even with weekends off, is 2.5 books per year. 2,500 per day, weekends off, is just over 6 books per year.

A good, solid habit of writing a couple pages every day can make a big difference. That's the biggest thing I've learned from this. Just do it.

I learned to disconnect my internet before I write. I learned to set a time that I start, and to just open the document and start writing. Once I start, I'm fine. Starting is the hard part.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been there, done that, twice. Congrats. Now for the hard part...

...editing.

I just can't seem to get my head around it. Hope you can!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"I learned to disconnect my internet before I write. I learned to set a time that I start, and to just open the document and start writing. Once I start, I'm fine. Starting is the hard part. "

Wow. Disconnect your internet? How do you do tha

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oof.

Oh, yeah, and don't forget to save it, multiple times, and printout if you're so inclined.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
*on knees bowing, slavishly*
"I'm not worthy."

Seriously though, good job. I am not only impressed, I'm inspired. Let's see if I can approach 4000 words today.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
congrats it feels awesome huh? Now give yourself a pat on the back and a few days break... atleast is what i did...
~Destiny

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Why should two silly words like THE END stop you? I've written thousands of words past them. Of course it was a joke ending.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marilyn Peake
Member # 6157

- posted      Profile for Marilyn Peake           Edit/Delete Post 
I found the same thing as you've described:

>>>> A good, solid habit of writing a couple pages every day can make a big difference. That's the biggest thing I've learned from this. Just do it.

>>>> I learned to disconnect my internet before I write. I learned to set a time that I start, and to just open the document and start writing. Once I start, I'm fine. Starting is the hard part.

Every time I start writing a new novel, I find the prospect daunting, I surf the Internet, chat, clean my office, do piles of laundry. But then, if I just sit down at my computer and write for at least a solid 1-1/2 to 2 hours at least 4 or 5 days each week, I soon have a new novel. I'm writing a science fiction novel now that I'm finally really into; but I had to go through that stage of just making myself avoid distractions and sit down and write. I'm hoping to complete the novel by Spring.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.