Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Inducing unconsciousness

Author Topic: Inducing unconsciousness
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
If you wanted to keep a patient unconscious, not deeply sedated, but out enough to keep them from resisting a noisy MRI scan, for example, would a drug like Methohexital be way too strong, and how many cubic centimeters, or milliliters I guess, would be a believable dosage for a male patient, age 22, 75 kilograms, and 1.86 meters tall.

Can anyone with medical expertise help me?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You should have entitled this post--as well as its sister-post--"Paging Dr. Genge".
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest 1400 g of ballpeen inhibitor applied in generous doses upside the head in the occipital lobe region. (May cause hammerous aphasia.)

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited October 11, 2007).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hand him a copy of the Iliad.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what you mean by "unconscious" Vs. "Heavily sedated"

There are several stages of sedation (Ramsey scale) which can be achieved with several drugs. The easiest and most common drugs used to sedate a patient are the Benzodiazepines family. Diazepam, Lorazepam, and Midozolam are very commonly used to sedate a patient.

Midozolam is the one more commonly used for short invasive procedures. But every hospital is different.

Loading dose is 0.1-0.3 mg/kg and maintenance dose is 0.03-0.25 mg/kg/hr (the wide margin is because every patient metabolizes the drug differently)

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

hteadx,

That sounds good. I'm going with about 22 milligrams of Midozolam, but I don't know how to convert that into a liquid with a volume in milliliters or cubic centimers. I don't know what the ratio is of that substance of 1 gram to n cc's.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

quote:
hteadx,

That sounds good. I'm going with about 22 milligrams of Midozolam, but I don't know how to convert that into a liquid with a volume in milliliters or cubic centimers. I don't know what the ratio is of that substance of 1 gram to n cc's.

This all depends on the brand/formula/mixture the hospital uses. At this point it's dealer's choice on how much cc's you want to give because the ratio is all up to the person giving the drug. They can always mix it with saline to get the cc ratio you want.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

So what is a believable range of dosages? 3 milliliters?
hteadx
Member # 6563

Yes, that's fine.
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no medical expert, but never underestimate the sedative power of whiskey.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.