Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » smoothing subjects

Author Topic: smoothing subjects
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
Im writing a playwright about the struggle in the jeffersonian era of the juciciary branch. the problem is, the first scene is two teenagers tslking about music. system of a down, to be exact. how do i move from music to history without changing scenes?
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Find where the topics converge. History of Music?

Or have a character say, "Well, whatever, so I was thinking about the struggle in the jeffersonian era of the juciciary branch the other day--"

"You were what?"

"It happens. Anyway...."

Other than that, I think its a hard leap to make. Are you sure you're starting in the right place?

By the way, you're writing a playwright? So, it's a story about a person who wrightes plays?

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited October 16, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
How do the two teenagers relate to Jeffersonian judiciary (I assume you meant this) branch's struggles? I assume that the story needs these kids, right?

You know, of course, about the 1985 Senate hearings (Al Gore and company) that pitted Tipper Gore (and the PMRC) against the Filthy Fifteen--which were represented by Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), Frank Zappa, and John Denver. Though it was about censorship, maybe that--or something of that sort--would make a better place to begin.

Too bad it wasn't about the Jacksonian era. That could easily be related to him disregarding the Supreme Court and forcing the Cherokee on the Trail of Tears.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 16, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had many conversations where I made radical leaps between apparently unconnected topics. Often I would preface the change by explaining the twisted logic that lead me astray.

There is a great series called Connections by James Burke, as well as two sequel series, Connections 2 and 3, that explore these kinds of disparate connections.

For example, I'm talking to my buddy about why I like oreo's and then launch into a conversation about the collaps of western civ into the dark ages.

When my friend gives me the quizzical look of where the hell did that come from? I'd look at him understandingly and explain that oreo's reminds me of racist slang for couples of mixed races, which made me think of intolerance, which lead to etc. etc.

Depending on the tone of the piece this can be a comedic exchange. Kevin Smith does dijointed seques well and has nice banter, might want to look to it for some inspiration.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude you should see Re-Connections, it was made two or three years ago. I can't wait until his Knowledge web (http://www.k-web.org/) comes to fruition, but I don't think they can ever find a stopping point. Sorry for that tangent, I'm just a fan of Burke's work.

As to your problem Dreadlord, perhaps you can lead the conversation that way by creating a lawsuit involving that band and then say "I wonder what John Marshall would think of that?"

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, guys!
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.