Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Self published info in query letter??

Author Topic: Self published info in query letter??
Dmfitzgerald
Member # 2570

- posted      Profile for Dmfitzgerald   Email Dmfitzgerald         Edit/Delete Post 
My novel is ready to go and I've done the synopsis. Now I need to write the query letter. Years ago I self published 2 gaming books (fantasy role-playing.) Should I mention them and the small gaming magazine I edited in my bio?

Your Thoughts ?

David

Posts: 23 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the advice I've heard is to only reference related material. Personally, I think fantasy gaming books would likely be considered non-fiction and irrelevant. Unless the novel itself is somehow about fantasy gaming, perhaps.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Mentioning that you edited a small gaming magazine couldn't hurt. I'd shy away from the self-publishing, though (unless it was absurdly successful), those aren't publishing credentials/credits.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 18, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm inclined to say "don't mention the self-published stuff," unless you have reason to believe it might be something they might know about. The gaming magazine sounds okay, unless you were self-publishing that, too.

(They say "every writer" edited his high school newspaper---but I didn't, though I contributed some stuff.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, no.

I've seen a lot of agents' blogs say the "self-pubishing" credit is a kiss of death to a query. Why? Because: (1) most self -published don't get a lot of sales; and (2) there is a decent amount of prejudice against self-publishing. So self-pubishing isn't necessarily a reflection on your marketability.

Exceptions, IMHO, would exist if you had great - not good but great - sales or the self-published work was in a small niche AND that niche is relevant to what the current work is. Some self-published have pretty decent sales because the publisher has deals with bookstores and Amazon to get them out into the market.

Ask yourself:

1)What were the sales;
2)Is the role playing game relevant to the novel;
3)Does listing it help you?

The editing experience I would definately list.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I addition to the other considerations, I have seen an agent say in a blog that they consider self-publishing to be an indication of not having the patience to deal with the slow-pace and frustration of "real" publishing. So it's just all around safer not to mention it.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I agree, it wouldn't look too good, even though from what I understand self-publishing is pretty normal in the gaming industry. (It's how Tracy Hickman got his start) But Novels are a whole different world (even if it is the same world as the games).
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Miss Snark:

http://callmyagent.blogspot.com/2007/07/ahhh-query-letters-favourite-topic.html

Some handy tips on writing query letters can be found here: http://misssnark.blogspot.com/search/label/query%20letters
And here:
http://www.sfwa.org/writing/query.htm
Also here:
http://www.jennybent.com/letter/index.html – good sample query letter

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.