Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Queries?

Author Topic: Queries?
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have someplace to post them for help?

I am really struggling with a query for the novel I am currently polishing. I just can't seem to get a hook in it. Boooring. *cries*

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Most people post queries or fragments of them in the novel section, since most queries are for novels.

Lesson I learned from several agents and editors at a recent Literary Festival - make sure the first line specifies GENRE, COMPELTED WORK, and # WORDS. "Blanket Bazooka is a completed fantasy novel of 80,000 words. It features..."

Oh, and they said the kiss of death was calling your work a "fiction novel" since that's redundant (redundant.) Two different literary agencies said they automatically reject queries that refer to their fiction novels! I guess we're lucky because we write in a specific genre that we can mention. That advice was geared more toward mainstream fiction writers (the festival was mainstream in tone and content, very little speculative fiction present.)

Good luck

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
Post it on the novel forum on this site.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Ah it won't fit on the 13 or is it 11 lines... And posting a fragment of a query just wouldn't be much help.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 19, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
The 13 lines is for protecting a writer's electronic rights. Unless you are planning to publish your query letter I think you're in the clear.

There are already a couple examples of people posting query letters on the forum. Just look around and you'll find them.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was some kind of absolute rule rather than for the writer's protection. I've seen people thoroughly yelled at for breaking it.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 19, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.