Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » *sigh*

Author Topic: *sigh*
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm going to offend somene, I'm sure, because this just makes me gag. From today's Publisher's Weekly.

And then there were four. Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Trilogy, the first two volumes of which have sold 12.5 million copies worldwide, has officially become a "cycle," with Knopf's announcement this morning that there will be a fourth novel. The third book, which is still untitled, will pub on September 23, 2008 in a national laydown. A pub date and title for the fourth book have not been named.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
I die a bit inside every time I hear news about the Inheritance Trilogy. Or, rather, the Inheritance Cycle.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, why are you guys so anti-Paolini? Or is it an envy thing? I've only read the first, and admit, it's not the greatest bit of prose, nor even an original story, either. But it makes me happy just to know fantasy is still popular with the young crowd, and that something besides Harry Potter can thrive.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Calling his "work" (can you actually call something that is the next thing to plagerism work?) derivative would be a complement. It wasn't bad for a 15 year old, actually. But for an international best seller? It makes me weep.

I don't envy writers who don't write well and sell in spite of it. Elizabeth Moon I envy. Jacqueline Carey I envy. I pray to some day write as well as either of them.

I actually, as a writer, rather pity Mr. Paolini. What motivation does he have to do the hard work needed to improve his writing? The money would be nice though.

Edit: I am always bemused by the accusation of "envy" of someone whose writing I think is poorly done at best. What the heck would you envy about that? I WANT to not write well?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 30, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Well you know, it probably would take two more books to wrap up all the loose **plagiarism** ends from the second book.

I envy Paolini's success. I am impressed that a 16-year-old wrote a book as good as the first one. As good as it was for a 16-year-old, it isn't a great book. And the second is worse. It's like the kid took all the stories he liked and put it into one book and called it his own. At the end of the second book I was like "yeah, you gotta go save Han Solo (his cousin's wife in this version), but you better go ask Yoda (the other 'last rider') why he was holding out on you. Why didn't Yoda want you to face your father (yep, his secret, unknown father/bad guy)?"

I'm anti-Paolini because I see him on the bestseller list and he's not any good. The kid could probably be good with some work, but why work when success is given you? I mean, the kid makes the commitment to write two long novels. That's great. But now he needs to work on his own ideas. The problem is his audience doesn't know that what he's written is a rip off of everything else.

But I better get back to work. The last anti-Paolini thread ended up getting locked anyway.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hm, well, I guess I jumped to a conclusion there. I just couldn't, and still can't, figure out the point in getting upset over another person's success. My philosophy is just to keep my head down and keep on writing what I'm writing.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I saved myself the upset and only wasted an hour and a half of my life by watching the movie. It could be labeled a comedy. The moment he walks into the creepy village I said "where's the fortune teller?" Sure enough...not a few minutes later and there she was.

Ah, wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of money without actually having to learn how to write well, or learn to create stories that make people want to read them?

Envy? Not me. The day my book hits a store shelf it will because I did something right...not because I was an oddity.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I only watched the movie, and I did so while playing a video game with my wife. What little I caught of it made me marvel at how weak it was.

I don't think it's "another person's success" so much as it is a "undeserved success", from what I'm reading here. I've never seen anyone here get worked up over, for example, OSCs success.

Good and bad writing is often a matter of perception, but if that movie was any indication, I suspect his writing is so poor that it just stands out as the worst of the worst, perhaps.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Paolini? That's the "Eragon" book, right? Personally, I thought he "made it" by his connections---as I recall, his parents were editors or somesuch---though, given its obvious success as a publishing phenomenon, Knopf really should pony up the cash if they want more than the original three. (If you look around here, you'll probably find the threads where we debated this last time around.)

(Way back when, some of the early promo material for Asimov's Foundation's Edge called it "the fourth book of the Foundation Trilogy.")

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Yes, his parents owned a small publishing company, but it never did well despite numerous signings and conventions.

Success, as I understand it, came after a larger publisher came across it on his own and liked it, offering to buy it or re-publish it or somesuch.

So I don't think connections had anything to do with it, if I understand the story right.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I was definitely a sympathizer, thinking every critic was simply the product of jealousy... and then I read the books.

They are enjoyable enough to read, give or take, and I'm obliged to respect a success story like his (for a young author) glad to see it is possible -- credit where credit is due and all that jazz.

But the Inheritance "cycle" 's success is disproportionate with its ingenuity. Rather it is wildly successful and doesn't have much of an engine under its polished hood.
Which--incidentally--it's not that polished. It's like watching a Datsun 210 win a drag race. Or the Astros win a world series...hehe...

These books certainly don't deserve to add another one, less two. Adding a fourth is likely the result of bad planning on the part of the author who probably didn't know how to wrap things up. (Also known as the George-Lucas Syndrome.) Or else a greedy publisher who realizes his market is predominantly a rich ocean of prepubescents who are more interested in dragons than stories.

I am happy to hear about Paolini's success, and I mean that sincerely good job mate! (Provided there isn't some sort of strange karma that makes it so there isn't enough success to go around, and better deserving work goes unappreciated.)

However, I think there is a plethora of Hatrackers who have demonstrated at least as much (probably more) creativity as Paolini.

You simply lack his opportunities, or else the iron balls it would take to march around in a homemade suit of armor trying to promote a book you just printed out on a lazerjet and illustrated in crayon.

More power to him though.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 30, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally enjoy the Anti-Shur'tugal take on this topic - why people dislike Paolini with such intensity. For the record, the people who run that site have a tremendous amount of disrespect for the whole Inheretence series, and Mr. Paolini himself. I must say, as someone who suffered through Eragon and refuses to touch Eldest, I sympathize with them.

As for an Inheretence cycle? Urk. Please pass that bucket. *pukes into bucket*

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Quasi-plagiaristic, repackaged quest stories sell, even if they aren't particularly clever or well-written. See also: Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind. Individuals of questionable vision and unimpressive talent also dominate other artistic fields like music and film. Fact of life. Nothing worth get bent out of shape over.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stewie72
Member # 6774

- posted      Profile for Stewie72   Email Stewie72         Edit/Delete Post 
I think alot of people are hypercritical of Paolini. In all honesty He has accomplished more than I ever have. Just being able to come up with a story and put it all down on paper is admirable.

But it does bring up an interesting discussion topic. What recently published works aren't derivative in one way or another? Some to lesser degrees than others sure, But wouldn't you say that what we see, read, and hear is the true basis of the stories we invent? Or more to the point... Our creative works are all derivative of our lifes in some way or another. Unique is a rare quality of todays SF/F, at least in the basic plot line. The most uniques things I've seen have been in characterization.

Give the kid credit where credit is do I say.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
And, yes, we should give him his due: his marketing is viral, his self-promotion is great, and he had the discipline to sit down and put some words down.

One can accept that without also pretending that there are no flaws in his writing. They were excusable as a fifteen-year-old; he's twenty-two now, and the fact that he hasn't honed his craft in that time is disheartening and opens him up to criticism.

If his writing could stand on its own merits, the criticism levied against it would fall flat. His writing isn't strong -- no, I take that back. His writing is often actively malodorous. There is no excusing that (and there is no excusing his editors, who aren't doing the job they're paid to do).

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skribent
Member # 5143

- posted      Profile for Skribent   Email Skribent         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't enjoy Paolini's stories. BUT...

I read them because I wanted to figure out what made him a success. Was it the writing? No. It was his determination to put his work out there. I don't recall the exact number, but he set up somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 readings. He was persistent.

So, I work hard to improve the quality of my writing. But I also make sure to put it out there. There have been plenty of better writers who gave up simply because of the amount of effort and persistence it takes to become a published writer/success. So kudos to Paolini for being persistent.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
What I "sigh" over is the big sf magazines which continue to publish stories I do not find all that interesting or even well-written sometimes. If I didn't feel I needed to "support" the field and keep an eye sort of on what they're buying, I'd never buy any of the magazines.
It's the truth, and I really hate that I feel that way.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
Yes, his parents owned a small publishing company, but it never did well despite numerous signings and conventions.
Success, as I understand it, came after a larger publisher came across it on his own and liked it, offering to buy it or re-publish it or somesuch.

So I don't think connections had anything to do with it, if I understand the story right.

Actually he had managed by constant travelling (financed by his parents) to rack up sales of over 10,000 copies, which is more than quite decent.

THAT was the reason Knopf picked it up. Connections had everything to do with it, and it is one of the reasons he is so soundly dispised. Do YOU have parents (or other relatives) able and willing to pay for that kind of print run and pay for the enormous traveling it took to do that? He didn't have to "put it out there." His connections got it for him. Well that wouldn't bother me that much if it were even passably good.

And the book is more than just "derivative." As has been pointed out by a huge number of people, it is so close to plagarism, it's scary. Not quite--but darn close. Good lord, the mage blows smoke rings up the chimney? *rolls eyes*

I don't know anyone on this forum who doesn't show more originality in their work.

I find the work he did in Eregon forgiveable in a 15 year old. But the fact is that he hasn't grown in his work and has no reason to do so. And people are being fed this pap as decent fantasy! That's what ticks me off.

Well, the magazines do too so I sympathize there.

Edit: I know a lot of 15 year olds who sit down and write books. Most are rather derivative. But getting that first book on paper is an accomplishment. I give any 15 year old who will do it that much credit. Paolini has that much coming and frankly, until he does something as an adult with at least a modicum of originality, no more than that.

And annepin, when I was reading my PW this morning it just hit me wrong so I posted what I was thinking about. It's not something I'm going to spend a lot of time on. But extending a rather poor trilogy to a CYCLE? I mean, give me a break.

But I did read them (from the library... I wasn't about to buy them) to try to decide if they were popular just from the "written by a 15 year old" hype (long since no longer true) or if there was something there that attracted readers. Seriously, they are close to the most poorly written fantasy I have ever read and very much the most derivative (I am tempted to call them plagaristic even though technically they aren't plagarism). They make Goodkind look like a fount of originality.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 31, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 31, 2007).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Truth in Advertising: I've gotta add that I've never read it---probably would've twenty years ago, but my tastes have shifted some---and my commentary is based on assorted press reports.

That and the notion that somebody successful is the "son of..." somebody else tends to cheese me off. Besides Paolini, there are two guys I know of operating in the horror field and one in the SF field right now along those lines. Is "literary success" a closed shop? Did I even have a chance against these ones? Was my own failure decided before I rolled the first sheet of paper into my typewriter?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
The books seem to have vanished from the local Tesco's, and almost vanished from Waterstone's (I did find a copy in one of the two shops they have in town). 'Eragon' never struck me as any worse than any other shallow, badly-written 'so what?' novel till recently. If there ever was any danger of my having read it, that's now past! But i've spent some time reading through Anti-Shur'tugal, and found some very useful writing tips in there.

Which brings me to my point. If it's acceptable to crit published works here, why don't we do more of it? It's not just how to improve our own writing, important as that is. It's also a question of how the established writers, even the bad ones, managed to get there, and what can be learnt from it.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hm, well, I guess I jumped to a conclusion there. I just couldn't, and still can't, figure out the point in getting upset over another person's success. My philosophy is just to keep my head down and keep on writing what I'm writing.-annepin

Probably a good philosophy. You might just get more work done than some of us

quote:
saved myself the upset and only wasted an hour and a half of my life by watching the movie. It could be labeled a comedy. The moment he walks into the creepy village I said "where's the fortune teller?" Sure enough...not a few minutes later and there she was.

One of the movies I've watched in the theater where I had a hard time staying awake.

[quote]I think alot of people are hypercritical of Paolini. In all honesty He has accomplished more than I ever have. Just being able to come up with a story and put it all down on paper is admirable.

But it does bring up an interesting discussion topic. What recently published works aren't derivative in one way or another? Some to lesser degrees than others sure, But wouldn't you say that what we see, read, and hear is the true basis of the stories we invent? Or more to the point... Our creative works are all derivative of our lifes in some way or another. Unique is a rare quality of todays SF/F, at least in the basic plot line. The most uniques things I've seen have been in characterization.

Give the kid credit where credit is do I say. [quote]

Yep, I give the kid credit. He had the attention span to sit down and write two 500+ page novels. That takes a lot. He had the dedication to tour through school libraries and conventions pushing his book. That takes a lot too.

As has been said, nothing is new. All the ideas out there have been used, its the spin we put on them that make them new. But little that Paolini does is new. In fact, just about every element comes from something else, with very little new 'glue' to hold it together. His work is just a mediocre copy of better men's (and possibly women's) work.

I give Paolini credit, but not much.

I also get tired of the excuse that goes: "He's pretty good for a fifteen-year-old." Maybe, but that doesn't excuse anything. Who prints a fifteen-year-old? I didn't know the publishing industry had a sliding scale for age. If you're young you have an excuse to be crap? Well, maybe I should invent the pen-name Dristopher Caolini, put on some dorky glasses, get a bad haircut, and tell everyone I'm 15. Maybe I'll make it then!

There are many formulas to becoming a published writer. The best one I've come up with is this: Write the best stuff you can + a whole lot of luck x a butt load of persistence = a published novel.

I think its great that a 15-year-old wants to write. That's about the time a great English teacher got me to start writing. But I didn't feel like anything I wrote was worthy of publishing in a paid market. My advice to those that age: write a lot, and write fan fiction if you'd like. At least there no one cares if its plagerism. You just might hone your skills.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Provided there isn't some sort of strange karma that makes it so there isn't enough success to go around, and better deserving work goes unappreciated.)

This is somewhat random, but humor me for a moment. There is only so much success to go round. I have limited free time during the year, therefore I'm only going to buy a limited number of books during the year, therefore the bookstores are only going to order a limited number of books a year, therefore publishers are only going to print a limited number of books during the year, therefore publishers are only going to buy the rights to a limited number of books during the year, therefore there is a limited amount of "success" to go round.

I'm not saying that a single bad writer getting published affects too much, just throwing it out there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Sure, there are only so many books that will get sold during one year. But think of this. There are a lot of new writers that get their chance. A lot of published writers only publish one book because that one book didn't sell much. Some only publish one because they only have the creativity for one book. So, sure, bad books will be published. Other authors will get their chances. A lot of publishing is luck and a lot is persistence. The only part of that equation you can control is persistence. If you stay in the game long enough to get published, make sure you make the most of it.
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
...therefore there is a limited amount of "success" to go round.

TheOnceandFutureMe,

Ah, I see you have the makings of a natural-born economist.

Your point is true, only a finite amount of books will be published, and it is likely that any given book that is published is a representation of whatever other book would have been published instead, in other words opportunity cost.

But--let's take it a step further. Harry Potter, for example, might have displaced some other would-have-been published book(s), but it also inspired countless people to read and read more often. Leaving them hungry to find something to read. This induces demand, which signals the market to increase production, which yields a greater quantity supplied. In other words through Harry Potter's success, it can be argued that other writers were given a chance at success that otherwise would not have. I can't prove it, but the math is sound.

On the other hand, which there is always another hand, a particularly terrible book might reduce demand for more reading if it gave the reader a bad experience and he swore never to read again. But such a book's effect on the aggregate level is probably immeasurably small.

So, I'm making the assumption that the number of people who find a good book and are left hungry to read more is a greater population than the group of people who read a bad book and quit reading altogether. In addition I think good books are disproportionately read than bad ones. (Though Eragon is counter-evidence to this.)

So, my ultimate conclusion is that if you are submitting a book to knopf publishing and they really liked it and would have published it, except now they're giving Paolini a fourth book contract instead then yes you bear the cost of his success.

But if you are simply interested in being published anywhere then the net cost of his contract is not necessarily greater than the net benefit. Which means that you can query agents as happily as ever without worrying that there are too many books out there. There will always be a shortage of great books.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

These things will disappear without trace soon enough. It's already happening locally. Eragon was all over the place till Eldest came out, now it's almost vanished.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe after kids read the first one, they went looking for more fantasy and found it? I'm sure most bought book 2, then realized how it wasn't as good as fantasy by good authors.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
Maybe after kids read the first one, they went looking for more fantasy and found it? I'm sure most bought book 2, then realized how it wasn't as good as fantasy by good authors.
There may well be some truth to that. I hope so. As hard as it is to see this guy handed something that so many people work so hard for (and I have worked less than many I know for the very limited success that I've had), if it brought readers to fantasy and encouraged publishers to publish fantasy, then in the end it's a good thing. (although it is still irritating. LOL)

RobertB
Member # 6722

I think any successful genre novel is bound to encourage publishers to follow suit. Hopefully Eragon's original raders, if not turned off by the thing, will have matured a bit and discovered a few more authors by this time.
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Zero-

Hmm. That seems true. However, even if an immensely popular book generates more business, all that does is create more "success" to go round. There is still a limited amount. I agree that a single book makes very little difference. I'd think about this more, but I should get to work on my nanowrimo novel.

And I'm no economist. I was more or less parroting something David Robbins said - whom I'm taking a class from, which is awesome, because it means I have a professional author helping me through my first novel. Hows that for connections?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

That's good. Just short of being friends with a major publisher.
Zero
Member # 3619

Robert has it right
quote:
Which brings me to my point. If it's acceptable to crit published works here, why don't we do more of it? It's not just how to improve our own writing, important as that is. It's also a question of how the established writers, even the bad ones, managed to get there, and what can be learnt from it.

I agree completely.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, technically, we do have a separate forum for just that purpose...or at least some similar purpose...
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Trilogy, the first two volumes of which have sold 12.5 million copies worldwide, has officially become a "cycle," with Knopf's announcement this morning that there will be a fourth novel.

What a sad state of affairs we are in. I would hope that a publisher would at least be close to an authority role on this, and at the very least be vaguely aware of the what words mean.

I doubt there is anything cyclical about Paolini's books. Not unless the fourth book leads back into the first. And the overall time line is a loop... hey maybe that's the kind of ingenuity he needs to save his series from future obscurity!

Cycle is not a chic or stylish replacement for "Series" because they're hardly synonymous...

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
so why did they make it a movie if it was so bad a book?
Does his mum and dad have contacts in hollywood too?

Genuine ignorance here. Don't know enough about the eragon stuff.

PS: If I had a 'hand-up' in the industry would I grab it?
With both hands! (and teeth... and eyelids)

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 06, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, the thinking that I read (and I emphasize this is what I read and I know nothing about the industry) was that they wanted something to ride the coattails of the LotR success and figured that since Eragon had good book sales it would do that. What they forgot, of course, was that 1. LotR (the book) is a classic and 2. LotR (the movie) was extremely well made. Neither can be said in the case of Eragon. It's a cheap knock-off.

Zero
Member # 3619

It really was a low-budget movie that got rushed out the door. It was obviously meant to leech off of LOTR, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia, but was made with no time, money, or substance. And you need at least two of those things to make a solid movie.

Also I watched the announcement video on paolini's site. It was pretty comical. he tells us his motivation was that he made his book too long and didn't want to cut anything out. (Bad planning) and admits to bad outlining and excuses as a product of his youthfulness with a wry smile. At the end he tries to hook us into buying his next book by telling us (paraphrasing) "I started off book 2 by having a main character die, and so I thought it'd be really great if I had a main character die at the end of book 3. That that'd be the perfect ending. But I won't tell you who, you'll have to read it yourself..."

This feels like a rookie mistake to me, but I suppose I can't talk because he's published and I'm not. But dammit I'm going to talk anyway . I think this is a cheap and shallow way to hook readers. And when the devoted readers get to that part of the book, when someone's life is in the balance, the suspense just won't be there. It's hollow. And it's bad marketing, I think. If your characters and plot can't hook me after two books, a contrived and well-advertised character death isn't going to do it. Maybe he thinks it worked for deathly hallows, but even if it did it isn't likely tow ork for him. Or, at least, it shouldn't. This sort of tactic shouldn't ever work.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 06, 2007).]

lehollis
Member # 2883

quote:
"So why did they make it a movie if it was so bad a book?"

For the same reason Hollywood makes all of its movies. Its the money, honey. While Hollywood may be full of "artists" like screenwriters, actors, directors, special effects artists and so forth, it's business people who make the decisions.

So, after the success of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, Hollywood has realized it can make money off of fantasy. The executives don't know a thing about plot, story, characters and so forth. All they see is "big budget fantasy flicks make money."

By that time, the author had an agent who pitched the idea to movie executives. All they saw was "big budget fantasy flick" and thought, "Make money!" And they did. They didn't look at whether the book was good, they looked at the sales. (And that's a reasonable guideline from their perspectives.)

According to RottenTomatoes.com, only 18 of 114 critics liked it.

It grossed around $75,000,000 US. (The estimated budget, according to IMDB, was about $100,000,000. So it doesn't appear to have made any money.)

Of course, that's a somewhat lighthearted take on the process. For me, seeing the trailer with the dragon-riding kid shouting, "Let's finish this!" was enough to convince me I wouldn't like it. When I finally got around to watching it, I was right. I did chuckle at what were likely meant to be important plot points.

By comparison, the most recent Harry Potter movie had an estimated budget of $150,000,000 and has so far grossed almost $300,000,000 (and I don't think its out on DVD yet.)

I think the big budget overhead keep them from making too many of such movies, but they do see them as lucrative. Basing movies on popular books gives them a built-in fan-base, which they see as a guaranteed ticket-sale minimum. (That applies to any movie. It's surprising how many are based on novels but don't push that point.)

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited November 06, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie version of Eragon and the book are two different monsters. The movie hacked the book apart so bad that my nine- and six-year olds were pointing it out in the theater. (Ah, what we do for our kids.) Anyway, since the subject has been discussed from people who've seen the movie and not read the book, I figured someone should concede to the fact that the book was a work of art compared to the movie.

There. I've done it. Now I need to go and take a shower.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I once read that a movie, any movie, has to take in two-and-a-half times what it costs to make before it breaks even. Arcane Hollywood accounting practices can make a mockery of this, but it seems a good rule-of-thumb for the layman to follow.

Along these lines...I would've thought the next "Chronicles of Narnia" movie would've been out by now, but, far as I know, it isn't even in production. I may be wrong about this, though...

annepin
Member # 5952

According to imdb, it is in production, with a tentative release date of 2008.
lehollis
Member # 2883

Where would we be without IMDB?

/Yahoo! movies?

Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the movie for one reason: Saphira looked like a bird in the trailer. Bird-like Dragons=Bad movie.

In all fairness though, it was the fact that he got published that kicked me into writing. (I thought all authors had to be either old or dead...like in Inkheart.)

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, first who wouldn't be envious of someone who had received incredible success by basically congealing a handful of successful and compelling stories into a "new" story and then utilizing his benefactor's to catapult that story into acclaim.

I am envious! I toil and struggle to masque the inspirations in my art, so they do not receive the dreaded "derivative" badge. This yokel watches Star Wars and reads Lord of the Rings and does what MOST of us did, and writes a THINLY veiled and painfully inspired novel, BUT!!!

But! His parents, savvy publishers and possibly deranged, decide to polish it a bit, and shop it around, with no success, I might add!

Then they publish it from their own house with a little additional polishing, note this story by a 15 year old has now undergone 3-4 years of polishing, and is NOWHERE near as impressive from a college freshman as a HIGH SCHOOL freshman.

Anyway, they publish this HIGHLY polished work, scary to think they "polished" this soooo long, and it receives so-so acceptance. It takes off when a larger publisher is looking for something to capitalize on a trend and the rest is history.

I will say that the first book seems LESS plagiarized than the second, which says alot...

So in closing, yes I am envious and jealous that someone that brings nothing to this genre/industry/art, has received such success.

I'd also like to add, that I wish you were all critisizing me for my lack of talent and out of proportion success instead of Paolini :-)

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A sidebar story: I read recently that S. E. Hinton's The Outsiders was also a teenager's work...and a lot of the reviews at the time and since thought it showed it...but the work sold well and Hinton stuck with writing and turned out more mature and better works as time wore on. (I've never read it---not my cup of tea. I hope I've got the title right, too. I think that was Hinton's first, but am not entirely sure.)

Paolini may take this early encouragement and write better stuff later on. There were no online forums in Hinton's day so the abuse couldn't go as public as that on Paolini.

I wish somebody had taken my teenage-written novels, polished them up, and published them, and thus encouraged me. But my parents aren't in publishing and didn't have those kind of connections. Besides, it's the notion of getting published by one's "connections" that really irritates me.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Both of you have a point. Getting published by "connections" is what ticked off a lot of writers. But I can kind of see HuntGod's point too. I think I would be more likely to be envious if I thought it were in any way a "compelling" story. I don't find it so. Instead it seems to me to be more a mish mash of lifted material. I do agree that the second book is even worse than the first, which does say a lot. The buzz about the third is not encouraging for the idea that he may have improved as a writer.

So I can't bring myself to envy him. If I envy a writer, I'll make it one who is both successful AND good.

Zero
Member # 3619

Yes, I envy his opportunties, not his writing. I know what I'm capable of. Which is why I am hopefully agents and publishers will take me seriously, when I'm ready.

But again, I can't stop laughing that his series is called a "cycle." Didn't it occur to anyone other than me that that doesn't make any sense whatsoever?

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, his books don't make a lot of sense so why should that? lol

I have no idea why they decided cycle was a good name for it.

annepin
Member # 5952

sorry... nothing to see here!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited November 07, 2007).]

J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of cycles, I saw that Terry Goodkind was coming out with another Sword of Truth book soon. My first thought was, "He's still writing those?" I looked it up, and apparently he's written ELEVEN! I stopped at no. 4 thinking he had stretched it out way too long, but guessing that he might try to stretch it out to 6 or even 7, if he was greedy . . .. but ELEVEN!

I then got on wikipedia and looked up plot summaries for books 5-10. I'm really, really glad I spent my reading time on more valuable texts.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Ha! I read the protag STILL can't control his magic after TEN books. I read the first. There were parts that weren't bad but his whole S&M sex thing just turned me way off on his writing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.