Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Literary fiction

Author Topic: Literary fiction
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread Annepin says of the fiction in the New Yorker "...weird weird weird." I would like to add that it is, in general, also boring. I've about had my fill of angst riddled survivors of relationships that imploded.

Every year I buy a copy of "The Best American Short Stories." This year it was edited by Stephen King and I thought I was in for a real treat. Nothing of the kind. You read these stories, the best of the best, and can feel the careful choice over each word. This is intrusive, I should be drawn into the story - unaware of word choice. The mecanics are all there - executed with perfection. The point/theme seems often to be microscopic if it is there at all. Sad to say it seems most of these tales are short on story - short on imagination.

King says in his introduction says the short story while stable, is apt to deteriorate in the coming years. Some say the short story is dying - I don't think it is dying - I think it is being murdered, ironically by the same academics who teach, write and promote the craft.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen two different articles of late that rake King over the coals for his editing job on this anthology. Apparently his ego was on display for the entire world to see---a regretful trend that's crept into a lot of his nonfiction of late---and this, I guess, irritated the reviewers. (I can't vouch for King's recent books 'cause I haven't read them.)

The real reason the short story is dying is the market for short stories is dying. There aren't enough places to publish them. My current list for SF short story submission markets is down to two. (Previous posts, if you wanna poke around, should tell you I have rather rigorous standards.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Just an aside: I can't help but notice how much of King's work involves characters who are writers. His latest books is about a world-famous horror writer and his supportive wife.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm burnt out on Stephen King.

There's always an interesting story and then one bizarre "SK element".

Like that show about the hospital where the dead patients had their own world. It was interesting, but then there was this talking sloth and it just seemed to be forced into the script.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurim21
Member # 5695

- posted      Profile for Kurim21   Email Kurim21         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Kingdom Hospital The talking animal was an anteater projected by the thoughts of a young girl so it had rows of teeth. Alas, it only made it one season and ended with a cliffhanger.

[This message has been edited by Kurim21 (edited November 05, 2007).]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking anteater???? In KINGDOM HOSPITAL?
i bought the original in Danish with English subtitles. It was so incredibly boring we never finished it!!!

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked his books better than any movie rendition. Granted, I've only read like two books, but I've seen several of his movies. With the books, all of the weirdness works, somehow. I think it's all in the art of story telling which doesn't come across very well in the movies. The books rely on imagination, I think.

About short stories... yeah, there was another thread on this not too long ago. I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't really get short stories, which is why I seldom read them. They seem to either have some sort of agenda, or they are a "slice of life" sort of deal. I suppose with that short a form, it's difficult not to feel and hear the author, more than the story. At the end of it, I'm left thinking, Oh, wasn't that clever, or, That's kind of neat, (alternately, it's more like, Huh??). With a good book, I am floored. It's a life changing experience, and the characters stay with me, as if they are old friends. I'm more interested in investing the time for that sort of reward, than to spend 20 mins reading a decent story.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited November 06, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I've read some decent short stories, ones that managed to say it all in under 7K words and be memorable.

The problem -- as I see it -- is what the editors keep choosing. Surely with all the people sending in mss there are a few good ones in the mix. Or (dark thought) are the present crop of editors incapable of discerning good stories with good writing???? Maybe I just have strange (unique) views of what comprises a "good" story.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem -- as I see it -- is what the editors keep choosing.

I absolutely agree! I do not think that the short story is dying because people wouldn't read short stories.

It is dying because people will not read the stories that the EDITORS choose. There was a thread on this subject not long ago regarding comments in a blog by one of the readers of a major SF/F pub that commented that they were "educating" the public to read literary fantasy.

Well, just thanks. But NO thanks. I took lit in college because I have a couple of degrees in it, thank you. I want GOOD stories from an editor not an attempt to change the genre.

SF&F and Asimov and all of the spec pubs are losing readers in droves not because no one would read them if they had GOOD stories in them. They are losing readers because the stories the editors choose SUCK. (Edit: Well, ok, I've seen a few good stories but most of them do anyway.)

I demand short stories with little things like a plot, a beginning, a middle and an end, a POINT, and characters I can manage to care about. Many, many of the editors think this is WAY too pedestrian.

End of rant...

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 06, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
On the irritation of literary fiction, I just finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. This was my review on it and why it was difficult to read:

quote:
a couple months of reading, I finally finished this book. At almost 800 pages, it was a book that attracted my eye, I usually prefer longer books. But this one was an especial challenge. The novel takes place in the early 1800's and is written in that style, with lengthy descriptions and frequently misspelled words (like using chuse for choose).

The storyline is compelling, though. I just think that if the book was a third the size, the pacing would have been much better.

To me, it seemed Ms Clarke was trying more to create a history of England, weaving in a rich and lengthy magical history with the realistic events of the period, including the wars against Napoleon. And if Clarke wanted to write a history book with an alternate history of England, she did a great job (she even included lengthy footnotes, the only thing missing was a bibliography). But if she wanted to create a compelling narrative, a lot could have been cut.

For one, almost every character is described meticulously. This is good in that you feel like you really know the main characters. Its bad because she did this to minor characters who were only in one scene or that we may have only met in passing. This description extends to most of the setting as well. Every home, castle, library, forest, and moor is described in painstaking detail that is almost painful to read.

As I was getting to the end of the book, I started to think that maybe there'd be a great payoff at the end, something to make everything else worth it. Well, while the ending was decent and interesting, it wasn't the result I was hoping for. Like the rest of the book, it was slow and slightly disappointing.

But all of that is okay, because Clarke has reportedly signed a six, maybe even seven-figure movie deal. I'll be looking forward to the movie. I bet this book will translate well to the big screen.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Strange and Norell a lot, and am a fan of short stories -- I read four to six short stories between each novel.

But...(pause to grab two science fiction magazines)...

Two magazines picked at random:

Amazing, April 1958: One of Our Cities is Missing, The Space Breed, The Last Citizen, The Stars Fought Back, Venusian, Get Out!

Asimov's, December 2007: Galaxy Blues, All Seated on the Ground, The Lonesome Planet Traveler's Advisory, Strangers on a Bus, The Rules, Do (This).

Now, I don't doubt that the stories in Asimov's are infinitely better written than the stories in Amazing. But it is clear that the stories in Amazing were designed to entertain, while the stories in Asimov's were designed to be "lit'rery".

So, while I'm not as down on modern short stories as some of the posters here, I do think the editors tend to buy stories in which nothing much happens, just as poetry editors tend to buy poems that don't rhyme, and art galleries tend to display paintings that aren't pictures.

When I think of my favorite short stories: The Ugly Little Boy, Ender's Game, The Year of the Jackpot, Press Enter, The Star...it's not the style I remember. Style can carry a story -- Rudyard Kipling's The Cat Who Walked by Himself, for example, but usually it's story that carries a story.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"JS & Mr. N" is another one of those books I bought but never got around to reading.

I do think some of the SF magazines have been kinda seduced by the literary models in the mainstream. An over-reliance on mainstream literary techniques tends to ruin whatever charm the SF content might have had. And, when you get right down to it, why emulate the writers of a field who hold the best work of this field in contempt?

(Rick Norwood names five favorite SF stories---one of which I absolutely can't stand and one of which I never cared for much. There's a lot of room for argument about what's the best.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite -- which story can't you stand? My guess -- The Star.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 4638

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
In the New Yorker, I can never get past the unfailingly bizarre photograph that always precedes the fiction pieces...
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Not "The Star," but "Press Enter." I have a dislike for stories that set up their premises on something being "unknowable" or "too dangerous to know."

(The one I never much cared for, oddly enough, considering..."Ender's Game.")

baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, what you say about Asimov's (Dec '07) is really interesting, because I reviewed that issue for Tangent. And I thought every single story in it was dull and derivative. The 'Lonesome Planet' story was trying to do The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which is an invocation you should not summon unless you're a master, and it failed. 'Do (This)' was a love story between two computers, where one uses computer code to tell the other one it loves it (it really is as dreadful as it sounds). And 'Strangers on a Bus' tried to make horoscopes an acceptable alternative to characterisation.

After I submitted the review, I felt mean. Were the stories really that bad? Well, having re-read them, I can confirm that they were. And now, with this thread, I don't feel so bad for panning an entire issue of Asimov's.

Cheers

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a long time since I've seen many stories I enjoyed in ANY publication. And this is sad. While I am not good at writing them, I used to enjoy reading them. And I wouldn't necessarily object to "lit'rery" shorts IF they were worth reading. Few are more literary in the true sense that James Joyce's shorts. If his aren't literary than whose are? But he actually wrote stories that were a joy to read.

The shorts that you see now I lable "MFA" stories (editing out the tripe or harsher words I tend to stick in WITH the MFA). I think that someone should stomp on the people who teach this...

Ok, when I get to the point only obscenities come to mind, it's time to stop. You get the idea of my opinion of this stuff and I DO blame it on colleges which I can safely do coming from that background of writing myself. How I escaped that contagion is something I can only put down to the purest good luck.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
About literary fiction, more specifically along the line that the market for short stories is dying out, I'd like to point out some truth to that.

I have, not once, been able to find a science fiction short story magazine anywhere in my area, no matter where or when I was living there. Not in Massachusetts, not in New Mexico, not in Pennsylvania or New Jersey or Ohio or Connecticut. I can never find a single copy of Asimov's, Analog, or SF&F on a shelf. The only way I can get at them seems to be to go online and subscribe.

Perhaps the problem isn't a vanishing market, but rather limited accessibility? Granted I wasn't around for the hey-day of science fiction magazines and can only imagine what it was like, based on what I've read and heard, but I think the number one problem is that the big-name rags just aren't falling into the general public's hands.

Consider the New Yorker: you can pick that up at any magazine rack in almost any bookstore, or even from the kiosk down the street. But Asimov's? My dad seems able to get them, but he has yet to share the secret with me.

Of course, the argument could be made that these magazines don't generate the appropriate amount of interest to warrant being laid out on the shelves, but to me the reason they don't is because they're not out there. Weren't these things hot items in the 1950s? SF rags were a dime a dozen back then (or so I'm told). Nowadays we're just experiencing a breakdown in marketing as the image of the sci-fi/fantasy writer hermit gets thrown around.

Maybe the best way to get the market alive for sci-fi short stories again is to breathe new life into the old rags, even if it's just putting them on shelves instead of the back room of some storage closet waiting for an online order? The content of the magazines might not be what the biggest problem is; it could simply be the issue (ha, pun!) of getting people to see that they exist again.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I once read an issue of Asimov's which had three stories with the exact same plot. ("I know a big secret, but I'll never tell"---which we the reader already know 'cause they just did in the story.)

That might've been the end for me. I don't think I've read another issue all the way through since then, and that was some years ago now. I read what seems interesting in each issue, which, often enough, too often maybe, is nothing.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Separate comment ('cause I just noticed it) on SaucyJim's comment about the magazines and their absence from newsstands:

The bookstore I do most of my regular book shopping at just rearranged their magazine racks a couple of months ago. The fiction magazines---the SF and the mystery magazines---disappeared somewhere along the way. Maybe they're still there and I just haven't spotted them yet...but I've been over the whole thing, looking for other stuff, and haven't yet.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
As a lover of SF's Golden Age I've been feeling almost entirely out of touch with Asimov's for a long while. In fact I started to wonder whether Asimov would be able to get published today in the mag that bears his name.

Then, in the Oct/Nov issue, they republished "Nightfall", presumably as part of their 30th anniversary celebrations.

I guess he won't make it again for another decade.
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.