Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You write? 11-05-07

Author Topic: Did You write? 11-05-07
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You write? 11-05-07

This is an attempt to humiliate myself into writing by giving me a goal to meet. I am supposed to feel ashamed that I did not write anything within a week. I am a person who has no shame, so it does not work, but at least I try.
This is also an opportunity for others to use this regular note as an excuse try to write during the week or feel the shame of not meeting a goal. Whether this works for you, is up to you.
My definition of writing is within the past week. It can be new writing, editing your own, editing someone else's, world building, as long as you get something on paper, or writing poems or articles.

As to the question at hand, I can definitely say that NO, I did not write. Sunday, I wrote an extra story idea, then realized I never opened my actual story. Darn.

Other than writing, I have a good start on my wooden Christmas ornaments I make each year. I am making candy canes, santa's boots, doves, and wreaths. My main concern this weekend was to get a bunch of blanks made so I can finish them up at leisure at other locations than my normal work shop this month. I should have been working on these all year, but really did not have any ideas until the beginning of last month.
For a story, one could have someone, santa? who does things every year, but never gets started until the last minute and then has to go crazy trying to meet the demands.
One concept might be where a ship builder knows he needs ships so the entire population can evacuate. Instead of making ships from the time he hears about the need, he waits until the last minute then basically uses the entire economy to get the job done in time.

I am in the process of taming a feral cat that adopted my mom's house. I only see him on weekends, but I give him food about six to ten times a day, petting him every time. Just little bits of food. His attitude changed drastically. Saturday, he was almost handleable, but Sunday he became snippy. Using this in a story, one might be trying to tame a T-Rex or some other dangerous beast that allows you to get close and touch it while it is eating.

As to the question of the day, No I did not write.
Did you?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did write. Nothing like Nanowrimo to kick yourself into gear. So far, 12,000 words in 5 days, most of it over the weekend. I can tell I'm going to reach the doldrums soon, though, since my plot is running out of steam.

I also rewrote Chapter 1 of my WIP, and posted it up for the folks over at Notebored. We'll see what happens with that.

For this coming week, I intend to keep up with Nanowrimo, and with the rewriting of my WIP. I've pretty much given up on the short story. I just come up dry with ideas, or decide all my ideas would be better served as books, rather than short stories. Still, I have a few under my belt I should at some point try to polish and sent out. Maybe in the next week or so. I also have two other drafts I need to finish.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Not much actual word-wise, but I've been grinding away plot ideas for the collaboration and my personal WIP. Also have given some time to reworking my next WOTF entry.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing NaNo, and with the sixth day almost over I am comfortably ahead on my goal of 2500 words a day So I will say "Yes I wrote" and have changed the outlook on my WIP during this time, once more started it and am actually having quite a bit of fun with it, for a change, lol.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
yes I wrote, but not happily. I'm in the doldrums of my Nano intro - still too much exposition, not enough action, no peril or conflict, no reason to worry or care about my characters.

I have got to blast part of the space station off or something.

But yeah, 7800 some words, I'm a little behind where I need to be but I don't get much writing done on the weekend and have been sick the last 2 days (just my luck!)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Still stopped...I'm still hopeful.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.