Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WARNING: old topic revived: POD: The future? Or just another fad? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WARNING: old topic revived: POD: The future? Or just another fad?
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've been wanting to bring this up for a while but hadn't gotten around to it until now. I've heard a lot about print on demand (POD), and though the concept isn't new, I was curious about people's thoughts on it. Any experience? Any feedback from others?

Specifically, though, I'm not really talking about so-called vanity presses, what I'm really thinking about is how it could shape the future of the publishing industry. Think about it: for any author, a publisher will print a certain amount of books in a first run. When those run out, they print another and another and so on. Eventually they'll have to many and will either have to sell for a loss or just throw them away. This is especially important to new writers because an initial print run of 6,000 has every chance of only selling ten copies. Then the publisher has to buy back the books from the stores (such as Barnes and Nobles and Borders) and just eat the loss. I can understand from that point of view why publishers are hesitant to publish new writers.

Now, the way internet like Amazon can work is for someone to buy a book, they print it then send it out. The buyer wouldn't notice the difference because they have to wait on shipping anyway. This way the publisher doesn't print any extra books. They save money by not having to print books that might not sell. In the end, they may be able to publish more authors and more new authors because the risk is lower.

The hindrance to this are the brick and mortar sellers (Barnes and Nobles, Borders, even Wal-Mart). They still need a book to put on the shelf. A book that may or may not sell. Even if they had the capability to print the book in house in a few hours, people still wouldn't wait. But are brick and mortar booksellers on the way out? Are websites like Amazon the future, or will people still want to go to the store to choose their books?

Any ideas?

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
It's undoubtedly useful for something like a monograph on some obscure series of ancient coins, many of which have been self-published with runs of under 100, and may well end up changing hands for many times the original price. At the moment, though, I think it's rather unpredictable where it's going to go with more commercial books.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
me? I prefer the brick and mortar stores where I can pull a book off the shelf, find a comfy chair, and read enough to decide whether I want it enough to pay money or. Otherwise, I'll wait and check it out of the library, or even skip the doubtful pleasure entirely.

I only buy online if it's a book I already know I want and that the brick and mortar stores are lagging behind on getting in. Even ordering books, I tend to go to the real stores rather than use the internet.

Call me a modern day Luddite, I guess.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a topic I've given some thought.

I think people tend to think it's an either/or situation. Either you print on-demand with a waiting period, or you print some up and have them sitting. Both ideas use old publishing methods. However, the technology exists so that the following scenario is completely possible:

You approach a kiosk in the bookstore and use the touch screen. You select the book you'd like to purchase, swipe your credit card, and it says "please wait while we print and bind your book..."

A couple minutes later, plop! Out drops your very own copy of said book.

Now, do readers want this? Probably, if it brought book costs down (which in theory it should because of the lack of waste). It should highly appeal to those concerned with the effect of the current wastes (say on the environment or the industry, etc). It appeals to the bookstores because they don't have to keep bookshelves and back rooms full of the extra books. They just print one copy of each and shelve it (for pre-purchase browsing).

Who wouldn't want this wonderful advancement?

Publishers. That's my hunch, actually. Why -- I don't know. But we've seen the movie studios drag their heels about movies on-demand, the music industry drag its feet about downloadable music tracks. I think these industries must be saturated with old dogs who just don't want to learn the new tricks.

Have you noticed what the band Barenaked Ladies has done? (For those who don't know them, they are not actually naked, nor are they ladies for that matter.) They didn't re-sign when their contract came due, and started marketing themselves directly to the fans. They rethought the music model. They started doing fan cruises -- where they and 1,000 of their biggest fans take a week-long cruise together. How cool is that? What music industry publicist would have come up with that? It's not in the handbook. But BNL now makes more money than they did under the industry's thumb.

My guess is, only the authors will be able to revolutionize publishing. I'm tempted, very tempted to be one that does. Too bad I can't give myself an advance to fund the first attempt.

-amiya

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think this is going to be the wave of the future. The technology isn't quite there yet, from I understand--POD books are decidedly not as nice.

One of the main advantages of a publishing house is their ability to distribute to the largest book sellers. Sites such as Amazon (and even the on line versions of B&N) are making distribution a moot point. A site like Amazon, I think, would much rather have a POD system because they no longer have to have warehouses to store inventory.

What's becoming increasingly important is marketing. Few people I know actually browse on Amazon, and in fact, nothing beats a bookstore for browsing. Rather, they're searching for an existing book. How do they find out about these books? Through friends, best seller lists, book reviews, etc, or because the reader already has experience with a particular author.

Frankly, I'm pretty excited about this. It means less overhead, less risk, fewer dead trees, and possibly a more accessible process. It might spell the end of the traditional bookstore, but maybe not. What if a bookstore held only display copies, and you could browse, then order the book if you liked it?

On the other hand, POD could mean a flood of fiction, bad and good, in which case marketing, and getting the right reviews, is going to be that much more important.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone was asking somewhere here earlier, HOW do you choose books to buy?

Browsing in the bookstore is one of my favorites. Buying something I checked out of the library and decided that I had to own is another.

But reviews from sources you trust? Friends' recommendations?

Other than authors I know and still trust (that hinges on their last few novels being good in my opinion) how would people find out about books they want and are willing to risk money buying?

I don't find Amazon or B&N online or Borders online to be very browsing friendly.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a non-fiction book and sold it as POD through a company that does that. It wasn't SF or Fantasy or anything related to this.

Overall it has been a decent experience. The quality, as annepin said, is not as nice, but it's by no means ugly. The paper is almost like regular copy paper. The book cover is bland (because I didn't design anything more).

But it sells slowly. I do some of my own marketing and others stumble across it. It's about learning a certain language in a new way.

I agree it will be far more dominant in the future, even if only for the fact that there aren't a spare 50,000 sitting in some warehouse.

I paid $1,000 for the deluxe package (4 years ago) and that included them taking care of everything including distribution to all the major online stores and possibly to some physical stores if it sells a certain amount.

One bad side is no one checked me on it. I could write a fiction story that is simply garbage, get tired of it being rejected by editors who likely know more than me, and publish it myself. So yes it could cause a "flood of fiction".

I would like to see some mix of editorial review and then POD in a store. Perhaps it would be like a video store where there is one copy as a sample and then when you want it they print it on the spot for you. I personally don't need books to look perfect as long as I can read them.

I think the bookselling model is going to break, or we need to intentionally break it.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Blogs and social networking are making for a different experience in marketing and recommendations. On social networking sites, people can carry lists of books they're reading, including handy little links to amazon to purchase them. Trend-setters are identified by marketing companies (I doubt book publishers are into this as heavily as designer clothing and high-end electronics makers are, but it's an option out there) and are lobbied heavily for their positive review of items. (sometimes with free stuff.)

But furthermore, everyone can keep a list of books they're reading, music they're listening to, on their facebook or myspace page. There are also social networking sites specifically dedicated to the readers - one I know of is called Shelfari but there are others. I have found several cases in the last year or two of a friend liking many of the same books I like. I hadn't previously compared reading preferences with some of these friends, or with newer friends. So upon seeing the overlap between favorite books of ours, I then search within the friend's other favorites or wishlist items and find new books I might be interested in. This has happened to me numerous times when shopping for people via Amazon wishlists. I end up adding half their contents to my own wishlist, which would explain why it's 4 pages long by now. LOL

Anyway - that's what's happening with one corner of the online marketing world. The buzz factor is changing. It used to be that only blockbusters could make their way to the front, but look at what's happening with online music.

With online music, it's not the big groups that are making all the money, in fact, the pot is getting divided into many many smaller slices, and small bands who may not have previously had a chance because they can't tour as far and wide as a bigger band or get the radio airplay are getting fans because of word of mouth marketing and the ability to buy single songs off itunes - plus itunes' own feature system of song of the day, promotional stuff, "if you liked that you might like this" kinds of recommendation engines in the background, etc. All of these also apply to books and are used to varying degrees of success by Amazon and others.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hariolor
Member # 7048

- posted      Profile for Hariolor           Edit/Delete Post 
I would be all for buying books, POD, and I am certain I speak for most of my friends when I say they would too. We're all twenty-somethings, computer literate, and accustomed to having choice in our purchases. Why not extend that to books as well.

Heck, if anyone recalls Beck's last album release, he let you choose your own jacket design, etc. It shouldn't be a stretch to expect that soon we'll be able to not only choose our book and have it printed on-demand, but we'll also be able to test out different page sizes, font faces, cover illustrations, etc, and make the book really our own with no more cost or effort.

I'm not published (yet) so I don't have any real insight into the industry, but my gut tells me that publishers would be most concerned about finding and retaining quality authors. Any old Joe would be able to convincingly argue that his unpolished WIP should be published tomorrow for little up-front cost (just server space, basically) and that he is willing to accept payment on a per-copy-sold basis.

Also, if you're buying from a kiosk in B&N et al, I would think the publisher would lose alot of clout on the retail end. No longer would a few publishers known for stuff that sells have a competitive advantage over individuals or less mainstream names when it comes to getting books onto a shelf. For literally chump change, anyone could buy server space on the kiosks and hope to make up the costs by selling their stuff. Sure, the publishing houses could probably pay to get your book ranked more highly, listed sooner, etc, just like with alot of websites, but the market would flood, no question.

It's a great, great idea, and I hope someone makes a lot of money innovating the technology to do it. Maybe I will, heck. But the publishers must hate losing their monopoly.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Neil Stephenson showed a very realistic portrayal of media in the not to distant future, in Snow Crash.

There are no longer brick and mortar music shops, they are merged into big box retail or ancillary products in other media outlets. The few specialty shops are slowly dying as well.

I feel strongly that within the next 10 years you will see a similar shift in DVD and Video Gaming, and within the next 15 years booksellers will probably follow.

I do think there will still be some niche markets for these products in "physical" form, like the kiosk POD type setup, but retailing information is a dying brick and mortar industry.

As technology infiltrates into the masses and the ability to harness digital formats becomes easier and easier you will see these business die or evolve in interesting ways.

I work for Blockbuster and though I think the brick and mortar aspect in doomed in my lifetime I can see interesting areas they can pursue to be market dominant in the near future and they have the capitol to adopt new technologies and exploit them as they are revealed.

In closing...brick and mortar bookstores days are numbered and because of there rooting in physical items and not showing much innovation, to me anyway, of exploiting new technologies, I suspect they will be gone in the next 20 years.

Wow that was one substantial run on sentence :-(

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hariolor
Member # 7048

- posted      Profile for Hariolor           Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that, to me, makes books different from music or video games is the different between reading a printed page and reading a computer screen.

I can certainly envision a time when screens have such fine fidelity, so little glare, and such marvelous portability/accessibility that people will prefer them to clunky, flimsy, or otherwise inconvenient stacks of paper bound together at the ends.

I can imagine my younger siblings, raised on sleek modern computers rather than the clunky, ugly things of the past, will easily transition to reading digital books. I think the iPhone-type screen interface (touch and drag) is going to be the first step towards making digital books readable. Up until that innovation, the thing I thought I'd miss most about a real book was the ease of curling up in a cozy spot and flipping back and forth through pages at will. We're getting there, but for the forseeable future, I think print books will be the preferred medium.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
One bad thing about POD publishing, at least in the sense of publishing your fiction book, is that once you publish it yourself, many publishers won't even consider looking at it.

I thought it might be possible to publish something and then when sales were going strong, have a publisher buy it. But most that I have read/talked to said once you publish it on your own that's it. They won't have anything to do with it. Unless, of course, it starts selling millions.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You approach a kiosk in the bookstore and use the touch screen. You select the book you'd like to purchase, swipe your credit card, and it says "please wait while we print and bind your book..."

Is the couple minute turn around time feasible? If it is, then that's very cool. Last I heard, though, the best time would be a two hour wait, though technology is always changing.

quote:
if it brought book costs down (which in theory it should because of the lack of waste).

The price won't come down. Look at DVDs. Most new ones are about $20 (cheaper if you go to Wal-Mart) but really no cheaper than VHS was. Once they know that a customer is willing to pay a certain amount for a movie, it doesn't matter if the cost goes down, the price will stay as long as the demand is there and they'll just have more profit (one of the reasons for the Writer's Strike, they want a cut of the extra profit).

quote:
Even ordering books, I tend to go to the real stores rather than use the internet.

Amazon.com has a feature where you can read a sample of the book, sometimes as much as the first chapter. If you could read the first chapter online, would you consider changing your opinion.

quote:
On the other hand, POD could mean a flood of fiction, bad and good, in which case marketing, and getting the right reviews, is going to be that much more important.

Even if POD became the standard, the big publishers would be in it. They'd probably have to buy out a small POD business to do it, but they'd be the force. They have the capital and the marketing machine. The benefit of POD would make it easier for new authors to get into the business (again, less risk/cost involved in starting out). They'd still have to invest a good chunk of funds into marketing. Something that would make this better was if authors had to learn how to market themselves. POD might be a good idea now if you could market yourself.

quote:
As someone was asking somewhere here earlier, HOW do you choose books to buy?

Amazon has a feature where if you buy a book it will automatically recommend books you may like. Also, if you rate or add a book to your wishlist it does the same. Admittedly, most of the books I buy are from a store, but I do the research on Amazon. I look at the recommendations, I read reviews, sometimes I even go to author websites. But then I'm a shameless bibliophile. I have a hard time choosing a book from an author I don't know at a store, though. I don't know anything about them or their style. I kind of just browse covers and hope something attracts my attention.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

quote:
One bad thing about POD publishing, at least in the sense of publishing your fiction book, is that once you publish it yourself, many publishers won't even consider looking at it.

I thought it might be possible to publish something and then when sales were going strong, have a publisher buy it. But most that I have read/talked to said once you publish it on your own that's it. They won't have anything to do with it. Unless, of course, it starts selling millions.

This is a drawback of do-it-yourself POD. You're completely on your own. You have to make sure you take care of editing and marketing and if its a bust, you're out of luck. There are POD services that cost $0 to start. They only take a cut from a sold book. And that follows a rule of publishing: money flows to the author.

Christoper Paolini, as much as I dislike his writing, is a marketing wiz. He took a crappy book, self-published, marketed it to the point that it sold enough copies to be picked up by a major publisher.

Now, there's a difference between POD as it now stands (as in, you are basically self-publishing) and what POD can evolve into. The evolution would be major houses adopting it and using that as their primary means. The big obstacle is the customer. Will they go for it?

JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is a drawback of do-it-yourself POD. You're completely on your own. You have to make sure you take care of editing and marketing and if its a bust, you're out of luck. There are POD services that cost $0 to start. They only take a cut from a sold book. And that follows a rule of publishing: money flows to the author.

Whoa. Let's stop here. PoD is NOT the same thing as self-publishing or vanity publishing.

Many "traditional" publishers--that is royalty paying publishers--are PoD. And on top of it not all vanity or self-publishing is done PoD although some is.

So do not make the mistake of thinking that is the case. I believe Samhain does PoD as does Ellora's Cave or at least they started that way.

PoD is a TECHNOLOGY not a type of publisher.

Now there are several issues with royalty-paying publishers who do PoD. Many brick and mortar stores will not stock PoD books simply because there is a history of PoD publishers not giving as large a discount and not accepting returns. While that is no longer true with all PoD publishers, it has left a problem with marketing. And you HAVE to have books in brick and mortar stores to market as successfully as the traditional model.

Another problem is that PoD books cost more per book than traditional offset printing. So if you are going to have a large print run, you'd be rather dumb to do it with PoD. The assumption has to be that if you are printing PoD, you don't expect large sales.

What has happened with the small/micro presses, is that many of them start with epublishing and add PoD as they grow. If they continue to grow, of course, they switch to traditional printing.

Some of these publishers do a very good job. Ellora's Cave, for instance, has done extremely well. The same with Samhain. Some of these, because they have a business model that is based on epublishing, will accept work that the large publishing houses won't touch. They will consider a short novel/novella or erotica when the traditional ones won't, for instance. And they tend to be more open to working with new writers, because the cost of putting the work out is lower, so the risks are smaller.

Edit:

quote:
Christoper Paolini, as much as I dislike his writing, is a marketing wiz. He took a crappy book, self-published, marketed it to the point that it sold enough copies to be picked up by a major publisher.
To clarify, Paolini did not print PoD. They had a large print run which is much more cost effective and when his novel was purchased by Knopf he had already sold something like 10,000 copies.

Whether it is Paolini is the marketing whiz or his parents are is open to question though. It was his parents who bankrolled the venture.

Unless PoD becomes more cost effecient than traditional printing, it will not be adopted by the large houses. However, I repeat PoD is a technology. It has nothing to do with whether one is self-publishing or not.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

quote:
Whether it is Paolini is the marketing whiz or his parents are is open to question though. It was his parents who bankrolled the venture.

Well, yeah, having parents front the cash is always great

By the way, can you recommend any good POD companies out there? I wouldn't mind researching this topic a bit more as perhaps an alternative if I can't go mainstream.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

It depends to some extent on the genre. Samhain http://www.samhainpublishing.com/ has a very good reputation, and I know a couple of authors who are happy with them. I submitted a novella that I knew I wouldn't be able to sell to a big house to Swimming Kangaroo Books http://www.swimmingkangaroo.com/ because I talked to several of their authors who are happy with them. Ellora's Cave http://www.ellorascave.com/ (which has been very successful in the erotica market) has a new imprint for non-erotica. Ah, it took a while--the mainstream imprint from Ellora's Cave (and they have a very good reputation) is Cerridwen Press http://www.cerridwenpress.com/index.asp .

Double Dragon Press. http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/ I almost forgot about them. I know two authors who say they are quite happy with them.

Oops, I forgot about Mundania Press. http://www.mundania.com/ I am pretty sure that is the one that Piers Anthony has published with.

Those are all the ones I know anything about although there may well be others out there worth looking at. By the way, Piers Anthony has a list of epubs on his website that you might want to take a look at if you decide to go that route with some of your work.

And, of course, deciding to submit to an epub/pod does not mean you have to go the same way with other novels.

Edit: Let me say this, I spend a lot of time talking with and trading emails with various other authors. I have tried hard to educate myself on the publishing business. I never mean to come across as some kind of know-it-all. I don't know anywhere near all there is to know about publishing. But I'm learning, and I do enjoy sharing what I learn.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not inclined to do a mass run of my novels in this way. I've always, for some sick reason or other, craved acceptance by the magazines or the book publishers, and have stuck with that goal through most of my life. Should, say, magazines and book publishers move wholly online and cease to produce physical books and magazines, I'll probably abandon them---I've already posted some stuff as directly online as that would be (giving some Internet Fan Fiction to some sites and letting them put it up), and could go even further (starting my own site for my own work).

I have seen a few self-published items, over the years...none of them really "caught my interest" the way professionally published stuff does...on the other hand, I'm older, and less easily "caught" by fiction. (Non-fiction seems to have a better shot with me lately.)

A while back, somebody once mentioned the notion of taking one's electronic MS, and arranging to have one copy of it printed up in book form. I may try that next time---I think it might help me spot the errors that seem to riddle my work when I look at it with a fresh perspective, but never seem to catch all of.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Online publishers are magazine and book publishers.

You are apparently saying that Strange Horizons or Oscar Scott Card's Intergalatic Medicine Show aren't legitimate because they are online. Pardon me, but they both publish some of the best of the speculative short fiction, including award winning shorts.

In the case of book publishers, PoD is printed (Print on Demand pretty much implies that) although many book publishers do both PoD and electronic.

On the otherhand, if you don't want to submit to them, that's your individual choice. No one is arguing with you to get you to do so.

And if you somehow think that putting fiction up on your own site is more prestigious than having it in an ezine run by Mr. Card (if it were accepted there), while my opinion would be quite the opposite, again that is your choice. And publishing fan fiction is more desirable? I beg your pardon?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they're not what I want out of a magazine or book publisher. And that's what matters to me. Like any person, I am free to accept or reject any advance in technology that I choose to. I've weighed my options, and have decided that online fiction publishing as currently constituted is not what I want at all.

Actually, I had more fun, and got more reader response, from four years of hanging out online with Internet Fan Fiction than in all the years before or since. If I'm not going to make any money at writing, why not go for the fun?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is the couple minute turn around time feasible? If it is, then that's very cool. Last I heard, though, the best time would be a two hour wait, though technology is always changing.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/fsb_archive/2006/12/01/8395114/index.htm

Seven minutes, it says. That was last year I don't know if it worked out.

I think it's quite cool, just imagine books never going out of print. That way if you find some 60 year old Book 2 at a library discard sale (which is where I get a large amount of books) and love it then you can just go to the store and get Book 1 et al. I like the "Display Only" idea though, I rarely buy a book that I haven't cracked, and no, reading the first chapter online doesn't do it for me. I have to open randomly and read a few pages to decide if it has some worth to me. (If I happen on the one slow part of the book, my loss.)
I don't think this will stop the big presses though, there will probably still be large first print runs. And big release events.

My question is from a collecting point of view, if PoD "vending machine style" really does take over what will that do to the value of those books. With an infinite print run they would be worth the paper they're printed on.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Believe me, Robert, if you don't submit to those venues I won't complain. It lessens the competition for the rest of us. The last I knew Strange Horizons and IGMS both accept substantially under 1% of their submissions.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Of course those who prefer the Internet are also cluttering up the slushpiles of the regular magazines...
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I don't prefer the internet. I prefer good publications and some of the best happen to be on the internet, which is rather a different thing.

You are the one who is saying that only one type of media can have good publications, not me. And how the internet can "clutter" the desk of a print publisher (what I assume you mean by a "regular magazine") escapes me.

Edit: This is a different subject however from PoD book publishing which has nothing to do with the internet at all.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 16, 2007).]

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

quote:
With an infinite print run they would be worth the paper they're printed on.

The value of a book isn't based on the number of them on the market. Unless you're buying first editions. The value is in what is on the printed page. If you're worried about bad books getting published, well, they're already out there.

I did a little research on the article Pyre Dynasty linked and found the company responsible. They're at OnDemandBooks.com and they've deployed two of these book "vending machines". One at the World Bank Info Shop in DC, the other at the Library of Alexandria in Egypt.

From the website it seems it would take 3-4 minutes to print one book. The cost of these machines is $50,000, so I don't really see them working at the mall, but maybe a Barnes and Nobles. The site says the machine can take multiple orders at one time and can print as many as 1 book per minute.

So, while I'm not holding my breath of this technology happening soon, it does look like a good option for the future.

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're interested, you can pick up a first edition of Eragon for $100--any takers?

edit: Sorry I couldn't make the link work!

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 16, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 16, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I'll give you my copy of Eragon for free (you have to pay shipping). I'll toss in Eldest too.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Sorry I can't offer either. Mine went into my compost pile.
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Several companies are experimenting with e-ink, e-paper, or similarly named papers that can be printed electronically. In theory, an electronic-ink book could have a traditional feel, but the content could be changed as often as needed/desired. While people have been cool towards LCD-based electronic books, a traditional, leaf-based e-book might be accepted. This obviously could have interested effects on publishing.

(At least one company will offer an LCD-looking, low-cost computer monitor that is actually based on color e-paper.)

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the look of E-ink, it's much more pleasant to look at then lcd.

My comment about the value of the book was from the first edition and such point of view. Not that that is the most important thing in the world. I'm just a collector.

(And can we have just one thread that doesn't bring up Eragon? You really give him more attention then he deserves.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

The book everyone loves to hate.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Compared to the traditional books and magazines, Internet publishing is like spending your time training to kick field goals from the forty yard line, getting closer and closer, and then finding they've moved the goal posts fifty yards to the left and twenty yards back.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

If you think IGMS is easy to get into and is like kicking from the 10 yard line or something, I am sorry to say you have only proven your ignorance on the subject. It IS a SFWA pro publication and according to Duotrope accepts an infinitesimal portion of its submission.

No one has said you have to submit to it. But your constant put-downs of the people who submit to such publications are getting on my nerves.

I tell you what. Submit some pieces of dreck to Strange Horizons, Oscar Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show, Clarkesworld Magazine, and Coyote Wild and show us how low their goal post is. HAH!

You might start a new thread though since PoD (which is the topic of this thread) has NOTHING to do with on-line publications.

PoD means print on demand and is a PRINT technology. By definition it cannot be used by solely electronic publications.

Edit: And when it comes to epubbing of books, publishers like Samhain and Ellora's Cave are swamped with submissions. They can afford to be picky. Nobody minds if you hate them, Robert, but you are doing yourself and no one else a favor by posting mis-information.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 17, 2007).]

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

quote:
Sorry I can't offer either. Mine went into my compost pile.

What has your compost pile ever done to you?

quote:
And can we have just one thread that doesn't bring up Eragon? You really give him more attention then he deserves.

A thread that doesn't bring up Eragon or Harry Potter isn't doing it's job.

My problem with e-books is I don't like reading too much from a computer screen. It's the same reason I have a hard time watching TV online. I don't want to be stuck at my desk doing that.

E-readers seem kind of cool (basically a Palm with a book on it), but no matter how easy it is on the eyes, I like having a paper book. I like putting it on my shelf. And I like that a paper back is about $8. I don't want to buy a reader. That's why POD appeals to me, because even if the quality of the book is a little less (which it isn't, according to what I've read), I'd prefer that over the best reader. If I'm traveling, I'll take a real book or listen to PODcasts.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Internet publishing is also like running up a bunch of fanzine credits on your publication record. You might have a lot of fun, but will it impress the professionals?

Print-on-demand is also like vanity publishing---paying somebody so your immortal words are in print---something a professional shouldn't do.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link to OnDemandBooks.com, RMatthewWare and Pyre Dynasty.

Here's another which includes a piece on the "Expresso Book Machine":

http://www.redferret.net/?p=7594

If there were one of these in every branch of Borders or Waterstones it'd be like the supermarkets with their in-store bakeries, decent fresh food for the mind on demand.

I see no losers in such a scenario.

Publishers would be able to keep backlists in print for longer -- forever -- and make more money for themselves and authors.

Booksellers could stock more books (entire catalogues) with minimal shelfspace and stockroom costs.

Libraries and academic institutions could print short-runs more economically.

Less diesel would be burned transporting books, and there'd be zero recycling (pulping) costs for books that don't sell.

And for the consumer, a real paper book -- that has not been thumbed by others.

As RMatthewWare says, there only seem to be a couple of machines out there at the moment, one at the World Bank Info Shop in DC, the other at the Library of Alexandria in Egypt. I thought the latter had gotten itself destroyed several centuries ago, but apparently they've built another one -- now that's class!

I imagine there are some challenges to overcome:

1. Persuading booksellers to invest in the machines.

2. Persuading publishers to allow their books to be printed.

3. Arranging sales transactions so that both booksellers, publishers and authors get revenues proportional to book sales (Not difficult technically but everyone will want to negotiate their share of the new pie: look at the mess the film industry has gotten into with scriptwriters and DVD sales.)

4. Making the system secure such that publishers are confident their intellectual property won't find its way onto the internet. This won't be easy, methinks.

I imagine it will happen sooner or later. I think it will be delightful to be able to walk into a bookshop, browse, and buy any book in publishing history.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Let me first answer your question seriously before I laugh at you, Robert. Will having a publication in OSC's IMS or Strange Horizons (which had at least one short nominated for a Nebula last year) impress the professionals? You bet it will!

PoD is a technology that is used as often by royalty-paying companies as vanity. And vanity presses often use offset. They existed far before PoD technology did.

LOL Now I won't argue with you further. I wouldn't want to disturb you with facts.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 18, 2007).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, JeanneT, if my having an opinion that differs from yours upsets you so much, it's best that we not debate this further.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I am not upset, Robert. You are the one who is consistently insulting on the subject.

And if having a story on-line is so horrible and UNPROFESSIONAL, I suggest you tell this to Theodora Goss. It was her "Pip and the Fairies" that was published by Strange Horizons and was nominated for the 2007 Nebula Award. Tsk. How unprofessional of her and I'm sure everyone out there considers it the equivalent of cheap fanfic.

My last comment on this subject.

Edit: Now you are welcome to continue believing what you please. I honestly am not concerned about your personal beliefs or where you decide to never submit your writing. I am concerned about your telling other people things which are simply not correct. There comes a time, however, when it degenerates to pointless arguing. I think that time has come.

SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And for the consumer, a real paper book -- that has not been thumbed by others.

Not to mention resale possibilities.

Personally, though the concept of POD is still relatively shaky (but aren't they all when they first start out?), there's a great possibility for a new and exciting field for writers. Plus this could easily excite any one of us just based on the fact that it's a machine that makes a book for you in eight minutes or less; that's sci-fi coming to life!

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former college student and the mother of current college students, I dearly wish that POD were available for college textbooks if for no other type of publishing.

I can't imagine how those books can cost so much.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
As a current college student, I agree with Corky.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Most PoD has nothing to do with the vending machines, so you should keep that in mind. That is a very small sub-set of the entire PoD issue and PoD printing is MORE expensive than offset, not less.
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Jeanne's right about cost. I checked into Lulu, and a perfect bound paperback, 300 pages long, costs 10.74. Then the author can decide how much they want to charge. Figuring most fiction paperbacks of that length go for $6-7, that is a big difference.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

That's not an entirely accurate reflection of the cost of PoD since lulu is a self-publishing company so profits for them is figured into that. But it does give you a general idea.

Obviously a royalty-paying publishing company such as Samhain or Swimming Kangaroo doesn't use a self-publisher. They do their own printing. But it simply costs more per unit to print PoD than it does offset.

There are other issues involved as well. You will find a number of them discussed on Piers Anthony's website. He has long been involved in PoD and electronic publishing.

I honestly don't think we'll see PoD/epub making big changes in the book publishing industry any time in the near future. While some of the royalty-paying companies are doing well, even more have gone bankrupt. It is a difficult and bumpy road.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

So, to sum up: For now, traditional publishing is the answer. But don't discount future technologies. While they may be shaky now, you never know what the future holds.

I mean, we write sci-fi, people.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Sadly they do use PoD (At least the printing tech.) on some textbooks, I have some, and they still cost me $70+.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, school texts are jacked up 'cause their publishers see it as a captive market---the students have to have these books, so the students have to buy them, or the school has to buy them for the students.

JeanneT---I said it was best we not debate this further. I am sticking to that.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

With text books, a lot of things jack up the cost. Of course there's the issue of 'you have to have them, so pay what we want'. But there are other factors. They're usually hardback, the paper is often glossy, most pages are in full color, and they can go anywhere from 300-800 pages or more. And they have to have a good binding that stands up to frequent use. So yeah, that's five reasons why they're expensive.

Of course, in a capitalist society, often the reason for why something has a high cost is because it can.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"With text books, a lot of things jack up the cost."

To your five factors, add: they don't sell in large numbers.

Oh to be a student again,
Pat

P.S. When I was at college we bought books secondhand from previous students. Don't they do that any more?

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.