Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Just write the damn thing

Author Topic: Just write the damn thing
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to an interview with Neil Gaiman today that kind of set me back on track. I wasn't really off any track, other than I was starting to obsess with publishing again. This happens every once in a while. I start to worry that no one will want my book and what will I do then? Will I self-publish? Will I use a Print on Demand service. Will I sit at home and cry? So I obsess and my focus wavers. But the interview helped. Gaiman says that when people ask him for writing advice he says: Write. Real writers get that. The true secret to writing is to write. You aren't a writer if you don't. Other people, who like the idea of being a writer but don't want to do the hard work want to know the secret. And sure, there are many pathways to being published, but none apply if you don't write.

So, I got out of that temporary funk. The secret to writing is to write. You can't publish a book that isn't written. You can't market a book that isn't written. You can't tell your friends and family to buy a book that isn't written.

So, I wrote. Or, I edited, which is also writing in my opinion. You have to be able to edit to be successful. Once my book is edited I will start to query publishers (which is not really writing, not creative, anyway). As I do that, I will start writing something else. Or I'll edit something else. It's a process. Write, rewrite if necessary, query/submit, repeat until successful/dead. Rinse. Lather. Something.

And I've figured out how to edit in a way that takes less time and isn't as annoying as before. I use MS Word's Review and Track Changes functions. It let's me go through my manuscript, cross things out (it keeps the text so I can still see what was there) make comments that stick on the side, and it does it all in red so when I make the revisions I can easily see what I want to change.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you write, you are a writer. If you are not talented, you will not get published as often, or at all." -Orson Scott Card

If you read a whole lot of books, you are going to find the kinds of books you really like. When you write, you then write something you like to read. Since books you like are already published, you have immediate target publishers to offer your book to.
At least that is how it works in theory...

I am planning on being published postumously....

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on being published, possibly humorously .
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
And I simply plan on being published and selling as many books as humanly possible, while working hard on the next book!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pep talk Matt (or R?)

I too tend to get sidetracked with my worries about how marketable my book is, or how I am going to learn all I need to know about the publishing industry.

Truth is, that is all that is useless untill I actually have a finished manuscript.

*sigh* Enough wasting time on Hatrack, back to work.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I start to worry that no one will want my book and what will I do then? Will I self-publish? Will I use a Print on Demand service. Will I sit at home and cry?

I sit home and cry. Then I start to write again. I love to write. It's the only thing that takes away the sting of rejection--the reminder of why I write. It also helps to know that many of my critique readers are eagerly waiting for my next novel to be finished. If only agents and publishers were as excited, but I do believe I will be published within the next ten years by one of the major publishers. If not this novel, then the next...or the next...or the next. It probably also helps that my non-fiction work sells decently and has a fan base. But I still cry...

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
"I start to worry that no one will want my book and what will I do then?"

I once talked to a friend of mine who is a clinical psychologist about attitude and goals. He believed (and I agreed) you must have total belief in achieving your goal. If you have any doubts about the book you are writing, it may well show up in the writing itself and confirm your fears. I've read some well known authors who believe this also. Worry over the book is wasted energy better spent directed toward writing and publishing the book.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Very few people sell their first book. It's usually several down the road. Some people come back and sell their original work (Jim Butcher became wildly successful with his urban fantasy detective novels before he could sell his Tolkienish fantasy novels). Others don't ever sell their first work because they realize it sucks.

Jim Butcher said most of success comes down to keep going while others give up.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Just writing to say you are right that writing is the only right way to be a writer, whether you write with your right or left hand, or both it matters not, just write right and the right writings will be written.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pretty much have to ditto everyone here. I did not publish my first novel or my second.

Keep writing. Try and make it the best you can possibly make it each and every time, and you'll get better and better.

I also suggest that all aspiring novelists read WRITING THE BREAKOUT NOVEL by Donald Maas.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.