Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Tea in the time of Evil Robot Monkeys

Author Topic: Tea in the time of Evil Robot Monkeys
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, I believe I've just plagiarized a book title and a character milieu...

Well, in either case, it seems that we were talking about the fascinating topic of boiling things. I believe Talespinner mentioned the British predilection to that preparation style. So, in an attempt to creatively merge the two (since it seems we have some gourmands out there), let me ask this.

What is your favorite story, book, film, or cave painting that has food as a main course.

I can think of the two following as a few films that come to mind, and which has inspired me both creatively and culinarily.

"Big Night" and "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman."

For example, I was absolutely fascinated at the structure of Big Night. It was almost a culinary version of "Waiting for Godot." I also was taken by the amazing dishes that they prepared, and have never looked at a baked pasta dish quite the same.

The same with Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. The exploration of the relationship between a Father and his three daughters, all the while circling around the life and changing times of a chef who is losing his sense of taste. I'm certain I will never de-seed a chile the same way again.

Anyway, here's to the palate, specifically as it relates to art.

Cheers.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

Spyder Robinson's stories set in Callaghan's Bar. (Not much food but a lot of alcohol which I hope counts.)

Douglas Adams "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" - priceless.

There are several SF stories where the aliens arrive and the haman race becomes a prized delicacy. Can't remember any of 'em.

And there was a short story whose writer and title escape me which was set in a future where all food was synthetic and real meat was illegal. An inspector took someone in a cafe to a back room where they served illicit, real food ...

Oh, and Soylent Green. Blech.

Pat

Edited to add: That should be "human race becomes a prized delicacy", sorry, musta bin thinkin' of haman eggs.

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited November 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What is your favorite story, book, film, or cave painting that has food as a main course.

I'm unclear as to your meaning of "main course", so I will refer to ones that food is a memorable part of the "body of work" or title.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (the book, not the movie)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (What I remember most about it is the exotic dinner scene)
Stephen King's Thinner
The Breakfast Club
Christmas Story
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Silence of the Lambs
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
H. G. Wells' The Time Machine
The Odyssey

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 24, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
lg, those two films have inspired me to make MANY trips to the kitchen while the movie is paused on DVD. We went to a dinner at an Itallian restaurant one New Year's Eve that featured the meal from Big Night. YUM!

I don't have much to add, other than to say that I find it rather amusing the lack of description of what people eat in a lot of Science Fiction. I am fascinated by this sort of mundane thing, what do people eat when living in spaceships and the like? So I write it all in. Hydroponics. Fresh produce as an oddity. Soy as an all-purpose food. I find it fascinating.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find it rather amusing the lack of description of what people eat in a lot of Science Fiction

I like the Babylon 5 take where anything fresh has to be grown. Orange Juice is expensive, fresh coffee is illegal to grow on station, and the security chief had to smuggle on the ingredients to his favorite meal.

And every culture has a version of swedish meatballs.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that kind of stuck in my head was the idea of using gravy to glue meat to a plate in zero G...

It was brilliant, and made sense...so I remembered it.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Food group movie: "Blazing Saddles," and if you've seen it, you know which scene I'm talking about.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. Yes, one of the scenes everyone remembers from Blazing Saddles. I rarely notice the food in books. Fried Green Tomatoes was an exception.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.