Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » JeanneT and Eragon

Author Topic: JeanneT and Eragon
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I usually agree with and like almost everything our own JeanneT has to say. I tend to find her opinions useful, helpful, and more than reasonable.

But I ran into something funny today. Someone had left this computer (a public one) up on youtube, the video they had watched was some eragon fan video. But what caught my attention was the following comment.

JeanineT (1 year ago) Show Hide Marked as spam
0 Poor comment Good comment
(Reply) (Spam)
i hope the movie doesn't let down the book too much i love the books and can't wait for the 3rd.

And I thought it would be hysterical if secretly JeanneT was Paolini's biggest fan, and her apparent distaste for him is all some kind of giant conspiracy.

Oh the story possibilities are endless.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear.

I assure you that I am not a secret Paolini fanboi. Blech! *spits like a kitty with a hairball*

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
If JeanneT liked Eragon, I think the universe would just cease to exist. I mean, the universe puts up with a lot, but that would be too much.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess in the multiverse there exists a reality where not only does she like Eragon but she met and married Paolini.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 01, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

hahahaha!
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

But technically then -- so did you.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we all!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Including Paolini. In some strange other-reality where he pulled a Dennis Rodman and married himself.

He should write a story about that. It'd be mor eoriginal than Eragon.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

This is the ultimate Paolini/Eragon thread which no doubt makes it the perfect thread, topping any and all other threads. But the fact that I'm connected scares me.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter.

Now it's perfect.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Wait. Wait. We left out IB does bold.

I refuse to have a thread where I'm mentioned and he isn't.

Zero
Member # 3619

So then in how many of these realities did a threesome emerge between you, he, and Paolini? I would guess most of them.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

EEEWWWW! Ok, I need a shower now.

(Ok, I asked for that one I guess. LOL )

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what all of this has to do with writing.

Hmm?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Zero, were you trying to show us how to brainstorm ideas on writing?
JeanneT
Member # 5709

It has to do with the fact that I'm procrastinating writing. Does that count?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has to do with the fact that I'm procrastinating writing. Does that count?

Oh, okay then. We are ALWAYS happy to encourage people to put off writing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

LOL I'm afraid we've irritated Kathleen. We'd better stop, but I'm quite amused at it going to 16 posts. Maybe I'm not the only one procrastinating?
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I'm at work. But I do listen to my I Should Be Writing podcast to and from work.
Kakichi
Member # 5814

- posted      Profile for Kakichi   Email Kakichi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's been a while since I've been here last due to a very busy semester of school, but thought it too hard to resist commenting on an Eragon thread.

I had heard from a friend that the two books so far were actually pretty good so I was intrigued to read it. When it was on the list of books to read for my Children's Lit class, I figured, "Hey, I get to kill two birds with one stone!" by reading a good book and getting a book out of the way for class.

Well, I never did get time to actually read it so I listening to it instead during work on my iPod. Turns out, some parts were pretty good, and I think it helped having some voices for the characters. When I got to the end, I realized that the beginning and middle of the book were decent, but the ending was full of holes and just kind of stupid in general.

I was once excited to read both books, but am hesitant to even purchase Eldest as I know that these aren't exactly the best books ever and my time could be better spent reading something better.

thoughts? comments? hello! good to see you all again, even the new people!

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Kaichiki, if your critique of Eragon was that it had a good beginning and middle, poorly executed end, I would predict that you would dislike Eldest. It has an OK beginning, a slow and just plain weird middle (the bit about the guy making himself more elfin was just so strange to me) and the end...oh, the plot holes, inconsistencies, and ... yeah. Disappointing is how I would sum up. It's just a book, it's not a waste of time to read, particularly not a waste of time to read something that sells a lot of books to figure out what it is that the author is doing right. I am not entirely sure what that is in this case, but something (all snide remarks about the author aside, they've sold by the caseload. There's something that readers, maybe particularly the young ones, get from these stories.)

Anyway - point is, though, the second book seemed to rather quickly fall apart for me. There were some standard plot elements in there, a love left unfulfilled, a journey, an apprenticeship with an apprentice (or in this case, 2) who isn't always on the same page, a war between cultures, bad timing, family relationships, a weird savant kid, a few tragic deaths, etc.

I find it helpful for me from time to time to read stuff I don't particularly like, because it helps me see what it is that I do like all the more clearly. Which then, hopefully, I replicate in my writing. The stuff I like, that is, not the stuff I don't like.

Good luck.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
The part in the middle was like Hemingway's run-on dream/drunk ramblings...you finish and have no idea what just happened.

I think what Paolini does right is he writes in easy to understand language...it's got all the good stuff from LOTR/ other great fantasies without complex vocabulary. I think it's partially why HP is so popular too.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Interesting thought, Vanderbleek. I think you may have a point. I never thought of it that way.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 05, 2007).]

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

If you want to know what Eldest is, I'll tell you. Eragon goes off to learn the force from a crippled old Jedi. Before he finishes his training he goes off to save his friends (his mentor telling him not to go). He has a battle where he almost gets killed and someone's love interest gets kidnapped by bounty hunters. Sound familiar?

Oh, forgot the fact that Eragon finds out that Darth Vader is his father (seriously).

All in all, Eragon was much better than Eldest.

[This message has been edited by RMatthewWare (edited December 05, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.