Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Accomplishments in writing

Author Topic: Accomplishments in writing
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm feeling pretty good about myself this evening. I've written over 20,000 this weekend (at around 80,000 total) and am just approaching the major conflict of my story. If I really crank I can finish before tomorrow morning.

Whether it's good or not is another matter entirely, for tonight, I'm just feeling good. This will be my first completed novel.

Have you ever completed one?

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
An important step in writing anything is to write it. You can edit later.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. And yes, there is no milestone like finishing the first novel. Of course, you're never really finished but being able to read from page one to page last ... that proves--to yourself--that you can do it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's great! Congratulations!
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! That's a big milestone!
Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
As Zero said, they're never finished. You can pick at them and tweak them until you're an old, old person - or if, like me, you're old to start with (nearly 58 now, *sigh*) you can decide to "declare a victory" and send it out into the world! I've finished six novels, some of them fanfiction (two of them were monstrously huge - no publisher would ever touch them, but my readers loved them!). Even if it's fanfiction, it's writing, and it's exercising your fiction muscles (which is why I wrote the fanfics in the first place, to loosen up to write something of my own). I'm polishing my second original novel now and thinking about the third, as well as TRYING to write a short story for an anthology. Keep putting those words on paper (or in the computer)! It's all about the writing, y'know! And congrats for getting so far!
Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I also started with fan fiction (Star Wars), albeit when I was nine, but I agree that it can be a useful enterprise. I don't write it anymore, and I haven't in years and years. But it helped me find my voice.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually I don't write a huge amount unless I'm about to finish something...it's like seeing the finish line ahead of me and realizing I can actually finish this massive thing I've started...

I tried out fan fiction, but at a more advanced age, and from 2000 to 2004, yet. In fact, if, the month before I started my first fanfic piece, somebody had told me I'd be writing it at all, I'd've thought they were crazy.

Probably it's something I should have tried and gotten out of my system earlier. But the convergence of factors was just right to write: (1) finishing a major project and casting around for something new, (2) some serious time on my hands (I was off my job for "daring to be sick,") (3) the ability to explore the Internet for fun and information, and (4) an intense interest in one particular TV show.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have written a complete novel, and it's an awesome feeling when you sit back and realize, "Holy Gods, I've done it!" I envy that you get to feel that for the first time. :P

However, my first novel was a fanfic (decently received, too), so that prevents its publication.

Still, congratulations!

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
The ending has definitely been quicker writing than the beginning, maybe I'm just so excited about the end?

Thanks for being supportive everyone!

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are few things in life quite like the feeling of finishing that FIRST novel and the light that goes on. I CAN do it!
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Robert and Saucy Jim,

You avoided telling us the world/series you borrowed your universe from. What fanfiction have you written? It's like a guilty childhood pleasure like eating a whole box of brownies by yourself, or throwing a slushball at an obnoxious rival.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a guilty pleasure, though I was probably in my second childhood by the time I did it.

Here and elsewhere, I enforce a "don't ask, don't tell" policy---the series in question is copyrighted material, after all, and if there is some legal limbo about them, I don't want to make anybody accessories after the fact. But if you feel the need...go to a search engine, put my name in, and somewhere in the first page of hits, you should be able to find a link or three. Like I do here, I put it all under my own name.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Wow. So did you continue the lives of those particular characters, or make up new characters who interacted with the main very-animated cast?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You'll have to read them to figure that out...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.