Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Jesus was an alien? NO FLAME WARS! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jesus was an alien? NO FLAME WARS!
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Im sorry but you lost me there. Did I miss the point of your original question?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think what your story really is about is a man who was actually an ordinary man with access to advanced tech that he didn’t invent or even necessarily understand.

That is not really what my story is about, hence 'Nice try, but no prize..."

Regarding your last statement:

>One thing I cant understand is how some of the most vivid imaginations actually believe in nothing at all beyond the pen in their hand and the wallet in their pocket. A bazaar conflict of logic indeed.

Perhaps that is what you believe about them. It may well not be true. Perhaps their message is that not everything is cut and dry and looking at things in a different way can allow you to find new 'truths'. You may begin to question facts and belief systems. In my mind that is a good thing since it is fairly obvious that generally we do not all act in an enlightened way and therefore must hold false beliefs, etc.

No, you answered my question. You decided, it would appear, that it would be wrong to write the story, or perhaps I spotted a kind of sarcasm in your post where there was none. Perhaps I am wrong.

BTW, re your Hitler comment, I have suggested a story regarding Hitler further up the page.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I understand.

This is of course an open forum for you to get others opinions about writing matters. Hatrack in particular is going to lean in the direction of those that populate it. OSC and KDW are both spiritually minded and faith driven people whilst (at least from what I’ve seen) both very objective regarding other points of view. I would guess the board is at least 40% LDS with probably another 30% being other faiths, myself being the latter. The rest are just Philistines, I kid, I kid, no really their Philistines and proud of it. LOL.

So yeah, you may get a spirited response here on the subject of religion and respecting what is sacred to some. There are a lot of other Sci-Fi boards where you’d get nothing but high fives on the idea. But they’re not as good as Hatrack. hehe

Personally I have never believed that this world and this short life is all there is. If I tried to convince myself that all you get is a 30 year run at eating and drinking and having a good time. That outside that, you’re either struggling with the angst of youth or being ravaged by decay. Well, I couldn’t. And thank goodness I don’t even have to wonder because it is absurdly obvious that there is intelligent design in everything around you. Still, stack someone like me against someone who never gave it much thought but knows they don’t want to bother with religion and all the bastions of higher learning that have made them feel smart about their indifference. What a radically different basis for existence each of us has. What radically different responses you’re going get.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said my peace on the subject and don't really have anything else to add, but the Hitler was a woman line made me remember a story I wrote a while ago about a time traveler who screwed everything up on purpose to see how strong the timeline was, he was giving a speech about it at a university and one student asked, "so who was the first woman president?" His answer was "Abraham Lincoln."
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
KStar, I know that's not what it's "about" but it IS your religion's "creation myth". If you can't stand on everything your faith claims to say, then you can't stand on any of it. I have a bit of an advantage there, I admit, as you belong to an actual church, and I only belong to an idea (not saying that all Christians are like this- just saying that this particular one is).

And if you don't think it's "fair" to discuss religion, then you either don't have much faith in the defensibility of your religion, or you don't have faith in your own ability to defend it. It's not a question of fair.

I'd love to discuss it over IM if you'd like. The subject is of great interest and I've never actually talked to a Scientologist before, (aside from some passing out fliers outside a Rockies game, and even then we were trying to get to our car so I couldn't talk then) and I'd enjoy it.

See, we both are followers of actively converting faiths. Scientologists want more followers, and so do Christians. Civilized debate between the two (and any other such religion) is what should be EXPECTED. And may the stronger faith win (I'm very capitalistic about theology).

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
ArCHeR, I believe KStar indicated an unwillingness to discuss religion.

Please respect that.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, stack someone like me against someone who never gave it much thought but knows they don’t want to bother with religion and all the bastions of higher learning that have made them feel smart about their indifference.

Well, I hate to tell you but few atheists are "philistines" through indifference. It takes a lot of thought to decide what you do or don't believe instead of just going along with what you've always been spoonfed.

Edit: What is it with the religious kick the forum has been on lately?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 08, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Kathleen, I wasn't discussing religion, I was discussing the discussing of religion. If my argument happened to win him over I invited him to discuss it outside this forum so as not to clutter the thread with OT'ness (no pun intended).

If he declines, I'll respect that...

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited December 08, 2007).]

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I know Jeanne T. I was just illustrating a point of view. A lot of Christians actually do believe that the majority of people who don’t bother with religion are just too lazy and self-centered but still want to sound thoughtful on the subject. And conversely a lot of non-religious people believe that Christians are weak minded and use faith as a crutch for their own fears. However I know some atheists and agnostics that put a great deal of effort into not believing in God. Just two camps that aren’t going to ever be truly objective about the others POV. God or evolution. Republican or Democrats. Labor or Conservative. Ford or Chevy. Stihl or Husky. Paper or plastic.

So anyway I am being tongue in cheek here.

BTW the Philistines were in reality, very religious people being quite fond of Dagon the half fish god of corn dogs or something like that. You know who they didn’t like though?? Sampson… they didn’t much care for him you know, since he spent most of the working day cutting their foreskins off. I’m guessing that most of them didn’t survive that particular encounter. Very odd though. Come home at the end of the day. “Honey I’m back. Guess what? I collected four hundred foreskins today. Umm, where do you want em?” Seriously what did he collect them for? What was he going to do with them? I guess he could have sown them into a purse. And then if you rub the purse it turns into a handbag. I’m just guessing here.

skadder
Member # 6757

Kstar is a she.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Kathleen I appreciate you, and thanks skadder.

Archer, I will make my email address available on my profile, you can email me any questions if you'd like, but I have no interest in arguing. I'm quite content with the fact that you'll have yours and I'll have mine and I don't think that in any way insinuates that I'm unable to defend my religion for any reason (I'm actually quite good at defending it-it's quite defendable), merely that I don't see why I should have to... but if you'll be civil, I'm willing to offer any answers or explanations that I can.

[This message has been edited by KStar (edited December 08, 2007).]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, tnwilz. It's pretty easy to miss sarcasm at times in posts which I did in yours. The foreskin purse--I don't think I want to think about it. I'm not unduly squeemish but YUCK.

I started to make an additional comment on possible Philistine reaction to the whole thing, but it would just start an arugment with someone.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

You got some high-grade gasoline running through those veins, JeanneT, and I got a zippo with Jesus on it..
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

KStar, I'm not talking about arguing, I'm talking about civilized debate. I'll e-mail ya with some questions. You might view them as attacks, but they're not I assure you, and I'll welcome any similar questions you may wish to use to answer and I won't look at them as attacks just the same...
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i dont have patence or time to read all of the posted but, i think jesus is a asended ancient from stargate.

or maybe it is the past drug use.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.