Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Novel Markets

Author Topic: Novel Markets
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone direct me to a site that lists the novel markets and their requirements?

Thank you.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Duotrope does have novel-length markets in it's database.

You're looking for a magazine to publish your novel?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Duotrope has a novel section. Just click on the appropriate tab.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using WritersMarket.com to compile my wishlist. Does anyone have any opinions on that site? Is duotrope better?
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not a big fan of magazines in general. What I'm looking for is a free version of writer's market, if such a thing exists. I want my novel published as a novel.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Duotrope is not just magazines. If includes book publishers. You just go to the novel section to find them.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I just searched duotrope's novel section for fantasies and found very few results, and zero professional markets.
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
WritersMarket is only 3 dollars a month, and you can cancel whenever you want. I've found it helpful.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want my novel published as a novel.

Find an agent, or just google a few publishers - WOTC, Tor, heck, take one of my little secrets and try [url=http://www.edgewebsite.com/authors.html[/url]EDGE.

I think that most public libraries have resources like this.

And, on Duotrope, I found several dozen novel-length markets of fantasy. At the top of the grey box, hit "Novels & Collections", then under length select "Novel", and under genre, "Fantasy".

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited December 06, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I'm not sure what you consider pro but Duotrope includes Tor Books which is about as pro a market as you can get in my opinion. It also includes Baen and DAW.

But if you want another source you can always check ralan which has a novel section as well.

I think your problem is that novel publishers aren't subdivided by pro, etc. but by whether they pay an advance and pay royalties. The search for book publishers doesn't work very smoothly in Duotrope it seems to me. Possibly it's that there are so many variables and so many unknowns. In fact the best way to get a good list of novel publishers on duotrop is to put unknown in the variables. LOL

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 06, 2007).]

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

quote:
WritersMarket is only 3 dollars a month, and you can cancel whenever you want. I've found it helpful.

I can probably stomach $3 for that.

quote:
Find an agent

I'd like that, but after querying 40-60 agents (can't remember the exact number anymore) and getting rejected by all them, I'm going directly after the publishers, the ones that take unsolicited queries anyway.

quote:
I'm not sure what you consider pro but Duotrope includes Tor Books which is about as pro a market as you can get in my opinion. It also includes Baen and DAW.

I put fantasy and novel length in the search engine and didn't see Tor, Baen, or DAW (all of which I would consider pro markets). But I think I'll pay $3 and just go through writersmarket.com. I just didn't want to buy the book again this year. And since my novel could be classified as fantasy, young adult, or children's, I didn't want to have to buy multiple volumes.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone

JeanneT
Member # 5709

They're there. Promise. For novels you have to go to the novel tab and you have to put in about royalty and advances. My guess is that you didn't go to the novel tab. But writersmarket works too. I already pay for so many subscriptions including $20 a month for Publisher's Marketplace that I refuse to pay for more.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 06, 2007).]

JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried making contacts at conventions?

I've heard multiple stories about authors that were rejected based on their query letters, but were later asked to submit manuscript pages after a personal meeting with the agent or publisher in question.

I also suggest reading the tale of Dune's road to publication if you want to lift your spirits a bit.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I haven't gone to conventions yet, and I don't want to incur the expense of travel and convention fees yet. Though I might get to that point eventually.

I'll check out the Dune reference, thanks

Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
To save money, go to the library and use the Writer's Market they should have on their shelves (at your main library, if not the local branch one). You can Xerox pages out of books at most libraries, but I usually take my own notes anyway. Once you find a publisher you like, be sure to visit their website to make certain the contact person given in WM is still working for that publisher and that all the contact info - addy, phone, etc. - is still the same. Good luck!

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ralan has a novel market list. Also, try Locus online.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.