Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Expanding on the Age Question

Author Topic: Expanding on the Age Question
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to write about characters in their twenties. I started writing about this age bracket why I was barely fifteen, for some reason I gravitate toward it. However, I have noticed in successful fiction, fantasy in particular, a really popular age for the MC is about fifteen. (Or teenage) For instance: Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Eragon (though I shudder to list it with the aforementioned two) but even Ender's Game etc. So, my question is, do you have any example of really, truly successful fantasy stories about characters in their young 20's? Or is this some kind of anomaly where people aren't that interested in that time period on the whole.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
If the book is geared for young-adults (as most fantasy is) then yeah, it makes complete sense to focus around 15.

Most books don't really set an age for their characters. I would assume any character that contains the classic 'rippling muscles' or 'firm dancer's body' is usually in their twenties (anyone maintaining those figures into their 30's deserves a medal).

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, with the exception of Ender's Game, all the books you listed are YA books. In fact, it is difficult for a book geared towards adults to have a young (child or teenage) protagonist. Most fantasy adventure books I can think of, including the epics (Jordan, Goodkind, Brooks, etc.) start with a relatively young and inexperienced protagonist but we're talking 20's, not teens.

Twenties is, IMHO, one of the easiest brackets to sell for a few reasons:

1. It's old enough that adults can relate. (Many books with teenage protagonists come across as juvenile, even when they aren't.)

2. 20's is sexy. It's definitely the easiest to write for romance or even the tiniest romance subplot or love interest. Teen romance can be fun but it is often innocent or naive. If it gets too steamy, it can even be uncomfortable for adults because it's not entirely legal. 20's are adults, so no holds barred, they are fully mature (physically...I won't get into mental states!), and young enough to still be easily appealing.

3. 20's are often still young enough to be inexperienced if that's what the plot calls

4. Yet 20's are old enough to have lived life, if that's what's called for.

5. 20's are typically not tied down with families.

6. 20's sells great on TV.

That's what comes to me off the top of my head.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure there are books with protags not in their teens. Modesitt, Feist, Moon, and McKenna have all done successful books with protags in their twenties and older--and those are the ones off the top of my head.

There is finally at least a little movement against the rather stifling requirement for pubescent MCs.

And even Farland's protag is in early adulthood in the first book but older in the later ones. Heck the original MC dies of old age I believe.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 15, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeanne, just broadening a little upon Feist, I doubt his MC Pug is in his twenties anymore :P

I usually make my MC's late teens to early twenties. I do that so if I have another idea I can use them if they fit into the new plot, but have them as older. At least, that's the plan.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if we want to broaden on Feist, although my comment was "in their twenties and older--", Pug is also no longer the MC in most of his books and hasn't been going back quite some books, I think.

At any rate, there are plenty of examples of MC's older than in their teens. I find writing about teen angst boring so I prefer not to start my MCs in their teens. I find MCs in their twenties and even older more interesting. But there is some pressure I feel like to do so.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 16, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 16, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
GRRM has characters of all ages. The youngest is what, like 5? And the eldest maybe middle aged. But certainly a couple are in their early twenties.

A lot of fantasies don't really mention the ages. The reader is just left to draw their own conclusions. I think Neil Gaiman's books have characters in their early twenties--I'm thinking of Neverwhere.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited December 16, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you can make your characters whatever age you want them to be. But you better be prepared to back it up. If a character is, say, twenty Standard-Earth-years old, he had better not be absolute ruler of a large portion of the Galaxy---that, or you better have a terrific backstory to justify it.

(Of late, most of my characters seem to be late teens or early twenties---I think it's a legacy of my Internet Fan Fiction period, where I dealt with characters in high school. Those characters are gone from my writings, at least for the time being---but the imprinting lingers. One more thing to work my way out of.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.