Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write? 12-31-07

Author Topic: Did You Write? 12-31-07
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You Write? 12-31-07

I missed last week so this applies to two weeks if you want, or last week if you don't want.
This is my attenpt to try to embarrass myself into writing. I am supposed to see this note coming up and realize I have nothing to brag about and try to write. It does not always work. I also offer it to you as an excuse to try to produce something to brag about. Just about any writing counts. Editing, even someone else's work, is writing, along with poetry, articles, assignments, and new pieces.

As to my answer to the question, I wrote a couple paragraphs, 406 words, on a new Waxy Dragon story idea. I have wanted to write on it for nearly two weeks but the opportunity did not present itself. I wrote the words during a lull between work I was doing at home before heading out.

With tonight's story idea, I am ending the month with as many ideas as days of the month, and ending the year with three extra story ideas. That means that I have 368 story ideas for the year. The last couple months, the story ideas have become more and more like full short stories, rather than telling about the stories. After ten years, that is a definate sign that I am getting a handle on writing them.

I had a good Christmas holiday. I had a lot of fun making gifts to give. I usually give the twenty somethings, "the kids", a bit of money as their main presant, and a few cheep things to give them something to open. A last minute idea was to paint up some empty coffee containers I had and fill them with Candy. I have no idea what happened to the containers, but the candy sure seemed appreciated.
I had to paint a second set of Christmas cards this year. I painted a set of twelve with a Christmas tree on the front and then realized I needed to send them out to some friends. I then had to paint a second set on Christmas Eve morning for the family. This had a hearth and a tree. Since I had two of the old cards left, I gave one of them, which allowed me to keep one of the new ones. I now have them in my art collection. I heard from several people that they would not have known that they were hand painted. they were as good as commercial cards, at least the artwork was. the lettering inside definitely was not.....
I gave one big present, a dove bowl (a bowl with a carved wooden dove head and tail added to it). She never even suspected that was coming. I got one big present. My mom gave me her old Digital camera. I have used one of those cheep Walmart cameras, which does take good normal outside pictures, but anything unusual never came out. This new camera will do all the stuff I was trying to do.
I had shipped out Christmas ornaments and painted wooden plates to friends and family. what I have heard was that they were really appreciated.
I got a lot of fun making the present this year. I think I was more satisfied with the holiday than almost any other year I have had in a long time. I think I have the concept of why Santa does it.....

So, to the question of the moment,
Yes, I did write.

Did you?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been able to do as much as I have wanted to, because of holidays. But I still managed to have written about 5000 words on my novel since the last 'Did you write' thread. So I got some work done.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. I am. As usual, just taking a break and scanning things here.

Well, back to the grind.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I've gotten quite a bit of work done on my SF short story, "Beyond the Conscious Breath." In fact, I'm working on the military conflict scene right now. I anticipate it will be ready for the market by the 11th.

I also managed to write some brand new passages to my new SF novel. In doing so, I made some important plot decisions that I believe have strengthened the story. Once "Beyond the Conscious Breath," one other SF short story, and my young adult novel, have been completed, I will hit this story full force.

Being that there is a thread on world building, I will mention that I have been playing with my star chart quite a bit this past week. One side of the Rokkekk Expanse has been just about mapped out; now, it's time to finish work on the other side (the side where the Earthers reside). Yes, the term 'side' is a two-dimensional reference; for now, I have not done anything with the regions of space 'above' and 'below' the Expanse, although I already know who and what will go there.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope...first part of the last two weeks I was ill...in the middle I was consumed by Christmas...then I just haven't been able to get back in the groove since...yesterday I cut my lawn for the first time since late October...and today I spent an exhausting time doing all my "first of the year" and "every three months" cleaning and straightening chores. But I'm hopeful...I've got another day off left, plus the rest of today...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I have gotten some writing done, some research done, and have been racking my brain trying to work out the plot of a short story that keeps TRYING to turn into a novel!!! I'm currently on chapter 5 of the second edition of my sculpting book, revising as I go along (the first edition is sold out but for 4 copies). It needs to be in print by April, so I'm going to have to push it along as quickly as possible. Fortunately, it doesn't need a lot of revision, mostly bringing things up to date and adding some info here and there. That and battling that short story into a short story (NOT A NOVEL) are keeping me occupied writing-wise for the moment.
Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. It helped that the husband was off on business for most of last week, including the weekend. So, my choices were curl up on the couch and watch bad TV, or write. I chose the latter, and was really productive.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad the holidays are over. I have once last celebratory dinner to go to tonight, and then it's back to normal. I will finally have time to write again. There is nothing more frustrating than having to schedule in free time.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya, KStar! Having my hubby home for over a week has been MOST disruptive! I can sit at the computer and work, but ORIGINAL stuff just doesn't come when he's home and moving around in the house. Editing I can do just fine, and small things (like adding a few paragraphs here and there to my sculpting book). Writing original fiction? Not happening until he's back at work!
Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually did write quite a bit during the week in question, and why? Because I didn't have access to internet. It's really depressing how much time I could be writing, I spend online.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I did! My hubby left for a business trip Thursday night. I spent about an hour feeling sorry for myself and thinking how lonely I was, and then it struck me: I can write as much as I damn well please! No (loving, wonderful, but nevertheless persistent) hubby seeking me out for attention.

So, I hammered out one story, rewrote another, and handed them out to critters.

My WIP, however, remains woefully uncracked. I'll have to tackle that one next, but need to come up with a plan of attack.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.