Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Corporate Sponsorship

Author Topic: Corporate Sponsorship
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to know...is it somehow possible to get corporate sponsorship for a novel if you, say, slide 100 or so references to Coca Cola during the course of the story?

I just finished reading Book 4 in "The Dresden Files" and there were a couple of points where I found myself thinking (and at one point saying aloud), "And now a word from our sponsor -- Drink Coca Cola!"

So, is Coke paying him or is this just an annoying writing quirk? Have you spotted this kind of thing in any other novels?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I've noticed this in movies ("Now, let's hop into our BMW Z4 limited edition which can go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and has lovely aerodynamic curves just perfect for our getaway!") but not in books.

Maybe the author is just a huge Coca-Cola fan?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
In movies, the products are definitely paid advertisements. Not sure about books, but I noticed in a couple of Dean Koontz's books, he used quite a bit of name-brand products. Enough for me to notice anyway. For me, it just looks strange in print. Almost like a...well...paid advertisement.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly this is one of the few commercial horrors that "The Space Merchants" didn't predict.

Taking the idea further, perhaps we can look forward to ...

"Murder in Manhattan"--sponsored by Glock

"The Man Ray Code"--sponsored by Kodak

"Trains, Balloons, Planes and Space-Ships"--sponsored by Virgin in association with Boeing and Goodyear

"The Petticoats and Perfume Affair"--sponsored by Chanel

"Promise Me Anything"--sponsored by the Government

"Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stoned"--sponsored by the original Coca Cola Company (the one that put cocaine in it)

"Space Wars"--jointly sponsored by NASA and the Soviet, Chinese and European Space Agencies

"Magic--Illusion or Reality?"--sponsored by the Mushroom Growers Society, Magic FM, the Magic Circle, and Pixar

This is certainly an idea to go with--did you ask Coca Cola yet?

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect some authors use brand names as a way to designate place, time, and character. I.E., we can deduce a lot from the fact that a character drinks Southern Comfort vs. Macallan 18, much more than if we just said "whiskey" or "cheap whiskey" vs. "fine whiskey." But it's a fine line--sometimes it feels a little gimmicky--and if done too often, leaves the impression the author is pushing something other than his or her prose.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you happen to be a southerner, you probably refer to most if not all "sodas" (or whatever they're called in your part of the country) as "Coke".

They are definitely paid in movies. I never heard of their being paid in novels, but anything is possible. You'd have to convince the corporation they'd get their money's worth which might not be that easy.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 06, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ian Fleming uses expensive brands to establish Bond's penchant for fine living. (And yes, I think it was autobiographical too, reflecting Fleming's own taste.)

Annepin's comment reminds me that I suspect none of my characters know what Macallan 18 is ... yet.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Both Ian Fleming and Bond would have been acquainted with Macallan 18. I am when I can afford it.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 06, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Oh yeah, it's well known that movies are paid for product placement. Drives me nuts there, too.

In the case of the book I just finished (The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher) I'm sure he did not mean "Coke" as any type of soda. Jim Butcher is from Kansas City and the story is set in Chicago. Plus, there was even a point where the MC put on a COca Cola hat!!! (It was REALLY thick.) This went way beyond establishing time, place, or character.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I prefer specific details, especially when they tell us something about the person. I don't think it has to be product placement, so much as the author stopping to think what Dresden might drink. (I saw him as more of a Shasta or other "cheap brand" kind of guy, myself.) (

In Dresden's case, I don't know. Never read the books, only saw the series. Insert rant about decent shows getting the axe here, please.) Was it overdone? I could see it mentioned briefly and then forgotten. If it keeps coming up, with emphasis on how much he likes it and stocks his fridge with it... who knows.

Anyone ever watch the show Life? I stopped after a few episodes because it didn't go the way I thought it was going to go, but one thing did turn me off aside from the show itself. His partner is an ex-alcoholic, ex-druggie. In one scene she was putting away some groceries and I caught a glimpse of a product. It was a frozen-food vegetarian "brand" product. (I recognized it because I eat them sometimes.) As far as I know, only vegetarians ear them. The character did not in any way strike me as being a vegetarian, given what else had been revealed about her and her family. It really seemed off. If they were going that way, it should have been detailed more.

(Disclaimer: yes, I know a person could be a vegetarian without fitting a certain profile. People are usually surprised if they manage to find out I am one, too. In the case of the show, it did more to break my concentration than to build the character up.)

Okay,done rambling

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
Insert rant about decent shows getting the axe here, please

Too true! One of the few shows I could stand to watch and they cancel it!

KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, is Coke paying him or is this just an annoying writing quirk? Have you spotted this kind of thing in any other novels?

It happens in interactive fiction also (as a parody)...

http://www.ministryofpeace.com/if-review/reviews/20010928.html

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited January 07, 2008).]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

lehollis: I'm with you about the show! Although now that I've read 4 books into the series, they had already screwed up the first season so badly that they wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the best parts of the series. The vampires, in particular, were extremely badly handled in the show compared to the book. But it played well on TV. Butcher is one of those writers who can tell a good story but who has some serious stylistic weaknesses. The Coke thing could be an offshoot of one weakness, which is that he likes to get very specific and very detailed in his description -- and then do it again in case we weren't paying attention before.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.