Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How do big ideas get smaller?

Author Topic: How do big ideas get smaller?
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed that there was a thread here about how some ideas seem like novels, and then end up as short stories.

I have the total, opposite question. I'll have an idea, and think: "Aha! I have a good short story here!" I then flesh it out, and add neat things to the idea, throw in some characters, a little history, and then, before I know it, I have 50,000 words.

Any tips on writing short stories? I'd like to write more short stories, but I'm never actually able to keep stories short...

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's all about focus. First, pick a smaller scale idea. Then just write the stuff that focuses on moving the story forward. Back story and so forth should be present but within the action, and at a minimum.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I so have that problem. I have NEVER submitted a short story to pubs that SOME publisher didn't send me back the comment--this would make a good novel so why don't you turn it into one. I suppose the flip side of that is that they're saying it DOESN'T make a good short story. *sighs*
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Short fiction has to be approached differently from novels. You have to drastically limit the scope. Trying to write flash will give you an appreciation of the differences. Once you can pull off flash fiction, short stories get easier.

The main thing is, if you keep working on it, an understanding and perspective of the scope will come. The more you write, the more you'll be able to estimate the length before you start writing.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem with the flash challenges recently. I learned to cut a short story idea down to a single plot.

But the one thing that made these stories grow uncontrollably was characters demanding that their stories be told, demanding that we get to know them, demanding (not asking permission, demanding) to wander off on their own sub-plots. I learned to eliminate characters mercilessly, nipping them in the bud before they got lives of their own. Some of them squealed--and might come back in longer versions of the same stories, better now for the focus the flash version defined.

I'm fascinated by this phenomenon. How characters develop their own lives, aspirations and personalities inside one's head is a mystery, one of the pleasures of writing fiction. But the implication of your question is correct: the growth has to be controlled somehow or the work gets out of hand, loses focus and becomes unreadable.

I think that editorial control--what's in the story, what's out--is one of the key aspects of good writing. For me it means asking, of each character, each sub-plot, "Does this move the main story forward? Is this the only way of adding something essential? Is it interesting and sustainable in its own right?"

These questions have to be asked especially of each character, no matter how minor. In one of my WIPs one character is quite vulnerable and may be eliminated because the answers to those questions are "yes", "possibly" and "no" and I think that answers other than unequivocal "Yes's" indicate areas for possible elimination. One can only do it with distance--not immediately after the first draft is finished when one feels passionately about all the characters.

(I think that a story can grow like this: The answers to those questions about a character are, "Yes, moves story forwards; yes, only way of adding something essential; no, not interesting and sustainable." Then, the story has to be expanded to give this essential character space to develop an essential role and a clear identity. Which I suppose is where novels come from.)

Hopefully helpfully,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Early on, I'd conceive and try to write novel starts...but either (1) they'd conclude after only a couple thousand words, or (2) just die on me completely and I'd try to salvage a short story or two out of the wreckage. Number One doesn't happen any more, but Number Two is still an all too frequent problem.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up one day and realized I'd probably grow old trying to push a novel. I needed the boost of smaller publication. I began thinking in terms of short stories that stood alone so I could get that boost.
I've also considered anomynous online sampling, online comics etc.
BTW:
Some of you more visually creative peeps might check out this:
www.tabblo.com
My pal works for them, it's an experiment in, I dunno, call them 'photo blogs' and marketing by HP.

[This message has been edited by supraturtle (edited January 09, 2008).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.