Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hatrack outage--only in UK?

Author Topic: Hatrack outage--only in UK?
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last few days (since Monday I think) I was unable to get to Hatrack. It was as though the website was down. I understand that one or two others in the UK also had problems, although apparently it was available in the USA.

I tried two different laptops, each running different anti-virus software. I tried different ISPs. The UK-based help desk that supports my business laptop also could not reach Hatrack.

Even an e-mail to Kathleen was bounced by the yahoo mailer daemon:

quote:

<'kdw@hatrack.com'>:
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named hatrack.com'.

All the other websites (UK and USA) I cruise regularly were up and running. If I Googled 'Orson Scott Card' or 'hatrack.com' I could see a sensible search result, and reach sites that linked to Hatrack. But the entire hatrack.com domain was unavailable.

It came back last evening for no obvious reason.

Did anyone else experience this outage? If so, which country are you in? Any ideas as to what caused it? Why only Hatrack? I'm curious because I'd like it not to happen again.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i have the same problome in AFG sence our internet is provided from eather Italy or Germany. i found that if i bypassed the sirver using www.webproxy.kaxy.com i could get into the sight but it was quite slower.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I couildn't get on either from Wednesday morning until Thursday evening (UK time). I tried to get to it from the Hatrack River website, but that was inaccessible too.

Edited to add: It could have been Tuesday morning I couldn't get on from, but I seem to be having some memory difficulties and can't remember for sure.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited January 18, 2008).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Could this be a pre-invasion action? Rommel?
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WobblyG
Member # 2055

- posted      Profile for WobblyG   Email WobblyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem. I couldn't get hatrack.com or IGMS when I tried from work during lunch. I live in the US, but our internet runs through a proxy server out of Germany. When I brought my work laptop home and ran it on my home wireless network it worked fine.

Some of the international people at the Codex Writers forum had this same problem and they asked Edmund (editor of IGMS) and he apparently contacted someone who did some sort of internet voodoo magic to get it running. So it was a known issue and something was done to fix it. Hopefully the problem is taken care of for good.

WobblyG

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe one of those regional name thingys was out? I should know these things, but I have a poor memory for the details. DNS maybe? The things that when you change your website or create a new one, it takes a while for your site to propogate to all the name servers...

Yeah, so that's the extent of the info I can offer, though it wasn't any more or less useful than usual.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
"Could this be a pre-invasion action? Rommel?"

highly unlikly. if there is a invasion for any thing i would be the first to know. sorry if your hopes were gotten up.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Invading the UK? God, I hope not.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

to tell the truth i dont like the UN and any contry in it, unforchently that includs the US. so i9nvading the UK would actily be the first move. but that wont be for another 29 years.

sorry for the cold hard truth.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.