Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Back-ups

Author Topic: Back-ups
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for AllenMackley   Email AllenMackley         Edit/Delete Post 
I create an additional new file for every day I work on my book. I have it saved in three spots: My computer's internal hard drive, my external hard drive, and my USB flash drive.

This way, even if lightning strikes my home, I will be safe. If my house burns down, hopefully the flash drive will have survived among the ashes.

Are any of you as paranoid about backing up your manuscripts as I am?

[This message has been edited by AllenMackley (edited January 28, 2008).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I back mine up to an external hard drive and a remote server. If my house burns down, I'll still be able to access my files.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for AllenMackley   Email AllenMackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, me too actually. I guess that's 4 places...

[This message has been edited by AllenMackley (edited January 28, 2008).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to go through phases.

I'll go for weeks and weeks (even months) without backing up, and then something I read or someone I talk to will remind me of horror erasure stories, and I'll be a religious backer-upper for the next while until the zeal fades and I return once again to my lazy, periodical updates.

It's the ciiiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiife.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a related thread.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably not careful enough. I save it on my laptop and a flash drive. Every 50 pages I email it to myself, only so I can email it to other people, so I suppose that's pretty safe.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
besids having back ups in those places i have back ups on the net, on my friends computer's and a copy that i keep in a bank safe box (for my more highly secure work) i am just that paranoid.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

Well its a good thing we're all cautions, cause that's a lot of work to lose to a hard drive failure or a computer virus.

If that happened to me and if it was my only copy I might just break out the sackcloth and ashes, tear my shirt and wail to the heavens... then again, maybe not But, it would be a sad day...

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep my flash drive around my neck. That way, nothing should happen to it unless that something happens to me, too, in which case I shouldn't need it anymore.

Of course, the drive can just go bad, so I keeps backups elsewhere, as well.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually do the ultimate save by printing it out. Usually I'm planning to rewrite, so I need a fresh copy to copy off of. (Or maybe just "use"...I was raised in a non-computer age and find it difficult to move from one file to another.)

Then I lose it somewhere in the clutter on my desk.

Of course before I print out I back up on a separate diskette...leading to a succession of diskettes with scribbled titles and dates...

(Yes, I have lost stuff in the bowels of cyberspace...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
My work is backed-up on 2 usb flash drives, plus on my pc (my PC is backed up to DVD every month), so I am covered if my house burns down.
I don't know what I'll do if I die in the fire...

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't back up nearly enough. Which is to say at all.

I should probably get on that huh? I suppose a bimonthly backup schedule would do well enough, though depending on my erratic writing schedule, I'll probably come up with a back-up-as-you-go (HA!) system as well.

I need an external server. >_>

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

quote:
I don't know what I'll do if I die in the fire...

Lol...

halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I sync an external drive with my local drive for standard backups, this is good for about 95% of all situations. This is an automated process, happens every night at 2am so I don't have to think about it.

If anyone is interested Cobian Backup is a decent easy to use automated backup system.

For writing I use Google Docs (docs.google.com) because it automatically versions my work and has a tighter backup regime then anything I could construct.

Anyone who doesn't have a backup system I would recommend trying Google Docs. At the very least you could use it as a "text warehouse". That is, you keep your local document and every now and then log into Google Docs and copy all your text into a Google Docs Document.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited January 31, 2008).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I use mosy home edition for offsite backups. Took ages to do the initial 80gig backup (like honestly weeks. The app is designed to run in the background with a very low memory profile, so it goes slow at first, then does incremental backups.) it has a monthly fee, but it isn't bad. I take a ton of pictures and have experienced catastophoc hard drive failures before (upon impact with the ground...) so the cost is worth it to me

[This message has been edited by KayTi (edited February 01, 2008).]

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I use Mozy, too. Although I use the free version (2gb) just for my writing. If the album burns that's too bad, but thousands of hours of writing (Perhaps not that much) disappearing would be a black moment.

I must say I am thinking of upgrading to the big version.

IT IS FANTASTIC...

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.