Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ender's Video Game

Author Topic: Ender's Video Game
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
News Story - Since it's Hatrack, I figured I'd share it here.

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2959643420080129

The cool thing is I once knew the creative director of the company doing the game.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell him from me that if he ruins my childhood memories, I will personally kick his *ss. So no pressure.

Anyway, I'm not sure how well Ender's game will fair as a video-game. Orson Scott Card chose, wisely IMO, not to emphasize the battle-room. Instead the book is about Ender, his character and his role in history. That's what made it so appealing, not null-G combat. Recognizing this, I hope they let Ender rest in peace and instead have you play as a different 'Launchie'.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. This could be awesome or horrible.

I didn't particularly like Undertow, which Chair Entertainment made. Never played their other title, Empire.

They're using Unreal Engine 3, which was used in BioShock, so I'm hoping that means we'll have a visually appealing game on our hands. (...unlike Undertow.)

And since OSC has worked with them before with Empire, I think we can hope for a good level of OSC input which will ensure an authentic Ender's Game experience.

quote:
Recognizing this, I hope they let Ender rest in peace and instead have you play as a different 'Launchie'.

I second that. Not because I'm afraid they'll over-emphasize the combat (an emphasis on story is becoming a good selling-point for most second-gen consoles these days), but simply because character customization leads to better immersion, and more in-game choices handed to a character who doesn't already have his storyline written out.

I'd be more comfy if someone like BioWare was doing this, given their history of story-based RPGs, but here's hoping Chair will do the book justice. It's a great premise that could appeal to a lot of players if done well.

Thanks for the news, lehollis.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm personally curious as to how they're going to have the zero-g combat work in the game, such as the mechanics of it. It'll probably end up being a first-person team-based shooter, but I dunno how they'll properly grasp the concept of war in a null gravity environment that will separate it from just being another shoot-em-up game.

I'll keep my eye on the project, though. Always wondered if I'd be able to take on Ender in an environment like that. Maybe he'll be a final/secret boss character.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing it will be somewhat like Tribes. The not being able to change directions in mid-air should make for some interesting game-play though.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that if there is a story, that they don't try to make it the same one as a book. I think an action game like this would require a new, more battle-intensive plot. Maybe one of the lesser known members of Ender's army will be the main character?

~Chris

[This message has been edited by SchamMan89 (edited January 30, 2008).]

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for a customizable main character, I think of this as more of a sport game (with guns).
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
It has potential.
I can imagine the character(Ender) walking the halls of battleschool where in his room you save, in the mess hall you regain strength and view the tournament results, can train in the training room, and of course battles in the battle room.

It could happen. Or it could be terrible. I'll try it when it's released.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has said plainly that he was a game junkie and would have written many more stories/novels but for gaming. I would assume he's taken more than a passing interest in the quality of this game.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
The news link on the Hhatrack homepage has a bunch of info and articles.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.