Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » motorcyles and small planes

Author Topic: motorcyles and small planes
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
anybody out there know enough to give me user details on a '46 Indian Chief or flying/building small planes? I'm looking for color. What the motor sounds like, what the ride's like, quirks that a rider/pilot would notice. Airplanes are King Lear 95, Embraer 120 (small commuter) and a bearhawk kit. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited February 18, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
You should rent " The Worlds Fastest Indian" if you have not seen it. Anthony Hopkins plays this Guinea fellow that, on a shoestring budget, builds a superfast motorcyle. He then takes it to the salt flats at Bonneville, where he earns what is still todays land speed record for that class. The Bike was an Indian. The story was based on a true one.

I have riden a restored indian. The engine has a very unique sound-- Sorta like a very deep toned weed-eater. Any old bike has funny handling. I don't recall it being particularly unique in any way, other than you can feel every crack, chip, bump in the road. It sorta jars the hole bike and your spine.

I believe all the old Chiefs were red. I am not 100% sure though. The logo is unique. Some of the other models might have been yellow, but I am almost sure the chiefs were red.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks, bent tree - exactly the kind of detail i'm looking for. I found a restored one on the internet, and the owner had matched the original factory paint job - it was a deep, brick red. I'm thinking that someone who really rides much would have put a custom seat on? and, do you know what that thing that caps the rear wheel is called? I'm also thinking that you could hang saddle bags, because that metal cover over the wheel would protect the bag. am I right?

And thanks for the movie tip. I'll check it out.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited February 19, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
The seat wont help much. The suspention on those old bikes is just primative. Some people like it.

I think you are refering to the fenders, which were very unique on the Indians. Sadle bags are possible. I am not sure what your story or character is but an Indian rider might have a scar on his leg where he burned it on the pipes as he was first beginning to ride.

I'll look for some mp3 with some sound bytes from an Indian. I am usually good at diggin stuff like that up.

Stock those things ran around 100 mph which at the time was blurring. Any serious modifications could produce speeds which would be considered going back in time as of the late forties early fifties. Doc brows Delorian would have a hard time keeping up.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
beleive it or not but i am a pilot myself.

i am corently in the finle plaining stage of begenning constrution of my P51 D MUSTANG.

i am going to use modern matierals such as titaniam alomnioman framing, and carbon fider for body and control surfases and an othintic Rolls-Royce Merlin engine.

cost approx $150000. covered by my friend 86 DIRTY-Q-TIPS

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Rommel, can you tell me what you enjoy most about flying? And do you know anything about Growlers?

thanks, deb

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
well i love to fly.. especily with a hang over.

what i enjoy most is taking my friends up after cloriforming them, draging them into the plane and waite for them to wake up at 10000. god that is funny as hell. they always think i will crash.

that is what i like most.

and if you are refiring to the EA-18G Growler not realy.

yankee whisky

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.