Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » ...Nineteen, Twenty, Twenty-One...

Author Topic: ...Nineteen, Twenty, Twenty-One...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you pronounce the year you're in?

When the year changed from 1-9-9-9 to 2-0-0-0, and then again to 2-0-0-1, I wondered how it would be pronounced. After all, everybody usually said "nineteen ninety-nine" and so on.

"Two thousand" was said, inevitably, and followed up by "two thousand and one." (The Arthur C. Clarke influence, maybe?) But after that it's been "two thousand and..." or sometimes just "two thousand." I thought it might be switched at some point to "twenty" something.

But of late, now that year numbers higher than 2-0-0-9 are approaching, I've heard more and more people start saying "twenty ten," or "twenty twelve," or whatever.

What is it? What should it be? Anybody got any thoughts, comments, expectations, further explorations of the topic, or whatever? (I mean, we are kinda concerned with the future and exploring it, so it seems something of a topic, both the futurism of it and the aesthetic / literary values...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been calling the years oh-one, oh-two...this is oh-eight.

I figure in 2010 it'll be ten or twenty ten.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I have been using the Mayan calendar for years now.:P
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordmerchant
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for Wordmerchant   Email Wordmerchant         Edit/Delete Post 
It is Two Thousand Eight here, but if Zaegar and Evans are reliable authorities, in just a few hundred years it will be the Year Twenty Five Twenty Five.

[This message has been edited by Wordmerchant (edited February 25, 2008).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
I say "two thousand and ___," but once we hit the double digits, it'll be "twenty ____" all the way.

It's going to be amusing reminiscing about "the twenties" in a few decades. (Unless they turn out to suck, of course.) I imagine that might be a joke only the pre-21st century generations will appreciate.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably say "twenty-ten" for ease of conversation.

Not that it'll matter for long. Nostradamus says the world will end in 2012 anyway. Oh well.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was the mayans who predicted it would end shortly before christmas.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
They called 1910 through 1919 (or maybe 1911 through 1920) "the teens"---but I don't know whether that was during or after.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
2012 (pronounced twenty-twelve by me) is the last year of the Mayan long count calendar. That's where the prediction that the world will end in 2012 comes from. Whether Nostradamus also predicted the end in 2012, I'm not sure. I thought there was a big (or not so big) brouha about it being the end of the world according to Nostradamus a few years ago.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait you lost me, isn't it the 20th day of Adar 5768, today? or do you live in one of those other countries.

PS, if i did use the gregorian calender I would say Oh-eight

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The world will end when the sun becomes a red giant. Until then, don't sweat it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
According to these folks, it's actually 02008.
(which my grandma would have pronounced "aught-twenty-aught-eight")

Long Now Foundation

(edited to fix the url)

[This message has been edited by LCastle (edited February 26, 2008).]

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If the Mayans or Nostradamus knew the world would end on such-and-such a date, how did they know it? And why wouldn't anyone else?
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mayans did not actually predict the end of the world in 2012. It's just that they this calandar called the long count calendar that measures really long periods of time. Basically, all of human history fits into one year on the the long count calendar, and that year ends in what we think of as 2012. Some people have extrapolated from that that 2012 will be the end of the world as we know it.

Someone correct me if you know I'm wrong. It's been awhile since I learned this stuff and I'm a bit shaky on the details. I'd say I'm at about 75% certainty that I got it right.

As far as Nostradamus is concerned, he knew about the end of the world the same way Miss Cleo knows how my financial future is going to turn out. You can know all sorts of things if you just lie about it.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe Nostradomus was a time traveller sent back from the year 2012 (prononced by me twenty twelve) to warn every one about the end of the world, and people like you wet willy are blocking his goal. Hmmm. that would be an interesting story... Dibs. (Grin)

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited February 27, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited February 27, 2008).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
well in 2525 i will still be here. well alive that is.

i say twenty hundred eight AD

or if i am filling out army paper work i go

28 FEB 2008
or civi
2-28-08

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Near as I can make out, at least when I've looked at something close to the original writings, Nostradamus was doing some political commentary in the guise of astrology, at a time in France when it was fairly, er, unhealthy to do political commentary at all.

One Nostradamus book I read when I was a kid said he predicted nuclear war would break out in 1973 (nineteen-seventy-three, in a nod to my original post) and last until 2000 (two thousand). I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say Two-thousand eight, two-thousand nine then after that twenty-ten etc.

Nostradamus was a fraud. People have always been eager to hear bad news. If he was so accurate why didn't we save the Kennedys or stop Hitler? You can read just about anything you want into his poetry.

[This message has been edited by Cheyne (edited February 28, 2008).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I completely neglected to mention another school of thought, but both came up today, once on a radio news program and once on a bumper sticker: "Two-thousand-aught-eight."

Unfortunately the news jockey went a little too far and also said: "two-thousand-aught-twelve," which added another digit to the four already there...

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
How come aught and naught can both mean zero?
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Aught came into use by verbal slippage. "A naught" was miswritten as "An aught" much in the same way as "An eek name" became "A nick name"

[From an aught, alteration of a naught; see naught.]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
The dictionary deffinition of aught (awt) says it menas everything. Where I come from (Lincolnshire slang) it means nothing. But then I'm from England, so things are probably different over the pond.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
My dictionary has aught[1] and aught[2]. The first means anything, the second means nothing.

quote:
When I use a word, it means exactly what I want it to mean: no more and no less.
--Lewis Carroll

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.