Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A new challenge

Author Topic: A new challenge
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a new Thirteen line challenge in Writing Challenges. I hope more people will participate this week. I posted a little early in hopes that it would help. Even if you do not participate, please add your comments or vote on top picks after I close the competition on Wednesday. Voting closes on next Saturda and the winner will be announced.

This is a great excercise for us all, but the newcommers should really benefit by participating. I hope you have fun with my outline. Skadder was a hard act to follow.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think having the weekend definitely helps. Don't remember if that was the case last time. Starting these on Friday is a great idea.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I would agree. Some Hatrackers seem to be Weekend warriors.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I just got my first submission. I will wait until I recieve a few more to post.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
The 13 line challenge is off and running this week! Come one, come all. Check it out in writing challenges
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I reckon posting the new challenge on Friday is a good idea. We can still do the reveal of who did what on the previous week on the Saturday--it allows more people to comment.

Or perhaps do the reveal on the Sunday to allow even more weekend warriors to comment--it would mean they overlap slightly? That way you get a weekend to write it, then a weekend to comment? What do you think?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be averse to holding the entries until the due date, and posting them all at once. That would prevent inadvertent glances at other people's posts before submitting.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

How about posting the outline on Friday. Once there is at least a few submissions begin posting them. This will enable people with forethought to begin making notes on the posts. Submissions close on Wednesday. Final Tally on Thursday when Names are revealed. The torch passes on Friday to the next Mod?

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...sounds good.

If there are twenty entries, I doubt I will comment on all of them. Probably just ones that stand out (either good or not). Obviously I will also vote on the hookiest (1st and 2nd).

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Yeah there are ten now. I might limit mine to the top five.
MorwenElda
Member # 7871

- posted      Profile for MorwenElda   Email MorwenElda         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm still new to the forums, and thus new to the 13 line challenge as well, I'm slightly hesitant to put this out there, but here it is.

I rather like the idea of not telling who wrote what until the winner is announced. If the outline is posted on Friday, submissions due Wednesday, then winners announced on Saturday/Sunday (then there is still a 1-2 day overlap, but a bit more time for comments, for people who are on mostly on the weekends, then they can get a vote too).

What I like about having the "who wrote it" announced then, is that, even if your submission didn't win, everyone who entered will still get to see their name in that post. Kind of like when you audition for a play... You don't get the lead role you were hoping for, but you made a small part in the chorus, so you still got that warm fuzzy feeling of finding your name on the cast list.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey MorwenElda,

No need to be hesitant. One reason why we are pushing this 13 line challenge through is to encourage relunctant new Hatrackers to participate. Posting 13 lines for the first time is like learning how to ride a bike for the first time. Your worried your going to fall, get hurt and embarrassed at the same time. Once you learn how to stay upright, you feel that awe of accomplishing something you always wanted to do and feel the freedom of world passing underneath at a new speed.

Give it a try ME. can't wait to see how you do.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorwenElda
Member # 7871

- posted      Profile for MorwenElda   Email MorwenElda         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm not worried about being able to write 13 lines in fact, mine is already up there somewhere *innocent whistle*. I just don't like to go throwing out advice for things when I'm new, it's recently caused quite a bit of trouble.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Morwen- You are only new until you header says member. Post what you want, how you want, when you want. Your opinion is as valuable as anyones.

It has been fun Moderating this weeks challenge. Just so you know ther are only two entries and the rest are mine! Just kidding. As it stands there are 14 entries. I will open the gates Wednesday so if you want to get in and earn you claim to fame and all the publishing rights that come with the title Captain Hook of the week, you better charge up your laptop and get em in. I just got two mauscripts express mailed. I guess a few of you still use typewriters.

And remember even if you didn't contribute an entry, please vote and or comment. The more votes the better.

snapper
Member # 7299

You got two entries expressed mailed???

Wow, I wonder what that was about. It looks like that Captain Hook title is very important. Too bad we don't have a pirate hat to pass around to the weekly winner.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Express mail? Really? I wonder if we can't create a special user, i.e. "Captain Hook", that everyone can use to post their stuff. Or maybe that would be too chaotic.

I think if we open the challenges up on Friday maybe we can close on Tuesday, and then allow more time for voting? Just a thought.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I was only trying to make humor. Sorry I guess it was translated literally. As for closing Tonight, well there haven't been any new posts since this morning. I will leave it in the hands of the court, but as Skadder mentioned, the rules state Wednesday. If we change, perhaps it should be when the new mod takes over. They can change the rules to reflect the new.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited April 01, 2008).]

JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is captain hook? lol

I'm confused. Either way, this is a very fun competition.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Captain Hook is the title earned by the winner of the challenge. A notable achievement, my boy *Arggh* All the booty and spoils and publishing contracts that come with it.
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ru! Fee! OOohhhhhh!!!
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I think the rule change (tuesday cut off and friday post) would be a good one. I move to make the change.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Well Folks the polls are open. You can begin your voting and comments. Come Saturday we will find out which skallywag will walk away with a treasure chest full of praises.

Post your ballots in Let the Lines Begin thread.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

There are alot more entries than voters. Even if you didn't submit an entry. Feel free to cast your votes and comment on the entries. It will make the outcome of the judging more satisfying.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.