Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » This Setting Stinks! - Using Smell In Description

Author Topic: This Setting Stinks! - Using Smell In Description
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from a week long novel writing workshop with Dave Wolverton (AKA Dave Farland). One of the things covered was how important smell is in setting description, yet seems to be used the least. It adds a powerful dimension, and immerses the reader in the story on a deeper level.

Anyway, my novel is to have an international setting, and uses the backdrop of many different countries. The only problem is that I haven't traveled extensively, and lack some basic information involving things like smell. While pictures on the Internet and in travel magazines can give a good description of how things look and people act, it rarely says anything about how things smell.

The funny thing about this is how important smell seems to be with people's memories of a foreign country, or visiting someplace new. This even includes visiting say the East Coast of the USA after living in California your whole life.

Along those lines, I thought it'd be good reference material for everyone to list some of the smells, both good and bad, we know of where we live, as well as where we've visited. I personally would like to know of people's impressions and smells of foreign countries, but anywhere would be useful to someone.

To start things off, I live in Iowa in the United States. It's farm country here, so a lot of the memorable smells are related to that industry. To start off with, there's the smell of dirt, clogging and heavy, in the air around this time of year (springtime) because of all of the plowing. To get an idea of this smell, just pick up a handful of black dirt or potting soil and smell it. You get the idea.

In the fall, there's the same smell, but mixed in with it is the noticable smell of dried soybeans and corn stalks. The soybean and corn smell kind of smells like dried grass.

Another smell comes from the numerous factory hog farms dotting the countryside. These are large, single story garage-like buildings each about a football field long. Each one houses about a thousand hogs packed in tightly together. Well, the manure has to go somewhere, and is usually pumped into uncovered manure pits that smell really bad. With the wind just right, it can be smelled in towns and from roads and interstates.

Also, a lot of natural fertilizer, (manure, to use a more acceptable term, but I'm sure you can think of others) is spread on the fields and can be quite strong for a couple of weeks. This smell is stronger than that from even the most vile of human outhouses (porta potties) since it is concentrated and aged.

In both of these cases, the smell is a stinging, sharp, rotten egg, ammonia, and methane combination that can be strong enough at times to make eyes water and cause coughing and breathing difficulties. The smell can also linger long after since the smell is actually from minute particles in the air that lodge in the nose. The same goes for heavy air pollutants in large cities like New York and Los Angeles, which there aren't as much of here.

Still another heavy smell comes from factory turkey and chicken farms. These are pretty much the same as the factory hog farms, but they house thousands of turkeys and chickens. The smell from these though is much higher in ammonia content, so that is what you smell the most. Ammonia, by the way, smells a lot like urine.

The final smell that has come to Iowa recently is that from Ethanol plants. These plants process corn and even though the smell is better with the newer plants, they still produce a smell like a cross between stale, moldy bread and old beer after it's sat on a messy bar floor for a night.

While these smells don't exist everywhere, or all the time, they are a part of what makes people remember and think of Iowa. For the most part, the air here is clean, crisp, and fresh, which is a good smell. If it wasn't, nobody could live here. I do think though that the smells that people remember best of a place will usually be the bad ones. That doesn't mean we should mention only the bad ones, though. Use them all.

So what smells do you know of or remember? Adding them to other descriptions using other senses can really enhance a description.

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited April 07, 2008).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think smell is like any other description in that you don't want to reach for the obvious or the mass experience. You want to mix it in, but reach for something unique to the character's experience. Saying Greeley CO smells like cow crap might be accurate (and for some cities that's really all you notice first off), but some one who's been there for a long time will notice some other smell entirely.

My 2 cents

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of my novel takes place in Iowa farm country! It's during the winter, though, when I notice that most smells tend to be overwhelmed by a bitter cold that infiltrates the nostrils. (Or am I just weird?)

I've lived in the suburbs all my life -- St. Louis and now Kansas City. For the most part, Springtime smells like heaven. I've been going on walks lately just to breathe in the fresh air which includes leaves on the greening trees and flowers poking their heads into the air. It's just started to include the smells of freshly mowed grass.

But in any area, there are sub-areas. A few miles from our home is a sewage treatment plant and right next to it -- a housing development that I can't believe anyone lives in. We roll up the windows and turn off the outside flow of air into the car when driving by, especially on a windy day (and Kansas is prone to windy days).

Having said all that, except at the start of Spring when I get to go outside for the first time in months and become reacquainted with the lovely smells, it all falls into the backdrop. I would agree that smells often get overlooked in description -- but all description needs to be relevant and salient to the POV character.

For example, if it looks like it's about to rain there is often a smell that goes along with it that many writers would overlook. The smell of rain is different in different countries but the dirty, industrialized smells in London are a backdrop. If the character is noticing rain, they notice that smell standing out. It's hard to describe the smells of that city, even having been there. Some things you just have to experience. The closest I could get in a description would be the black snot -- sorry to be crude but it's just what happened when I went there!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the smell thing.

I have lived in West Africa, and have travelled quite a bit in Western Europe.

For example, when I was in Paris, the subway is the only one I know that runs on rails, but has tire-roller bumpers mounted on the sides of the cars so that it keeps it from scraping against the walls in tight turns. Often, the scrapes become skids, so in some stations, there is always the subtle but acrid smell of fresh-skidded tire/burnt rubber just after a train pulls in. Also, the Paris subway almost always has an underlying parfum of sewage. Not sure why, but I think it has to do with the way it was constructed. Yuck!!

If your character ranges as far afield as West Africa, remember that there is little if any sewage treatment, trash disposal, or refrigeration. If you want to see what the sun-dried fish that you're buying for dinner looks like, you have to smack the edge of the table so the flies lift off of the meat. It's 98 degrees, the humidity is 98 percent, and the smell is a combination of sweat, dead and beginning to decay fish, and the cloying, almost sickly-sweet scent of wild jasmine flowing through the air. All of these aromas will be veneered over the top of a subtle scent of urine, rotting vegetation, powdery red laterite dust (in the dry season), and chicken dung.

If you ride a taxi (city, or cross country) there will probably be 6-8 adults in a compact car (4-door Mazda GLC). If you are going cross-country, there will also be 2-3 kids (not a car seat in sight), some chickens in plastic bags with only their head poking out for air (gifts for whoever the traveler is visiting), and NO deoderant use. Based on the time of year, the rains, the local militia security checkpoints, and the quality of the vehicle, your average speed will be about 20 miles per hour. It used to take me between 8 and 10 hours to go 109 miles from my house to the capital in Freetown.

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited April 07, 2008).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You can say some place "smelled good," or "smelled bad" (or "stank.") You can say something "smells like [whatever]"---and hope the reader can relate to that. You could also say something "smells of [whatever]"---same problem. You can invoke the smell of something to bring back a memory in flashback.

It'd be trickier in SF or fantasy, where a new place or a new event (or even a new character) might produce new smells.

(Long as we're sharing a few smells---I've been at a couple of NASCAR events where a car or truck blows its engine. You can't get that experience from TV. And it's amazing how much the smell of a blown NASCAR engine smells like a blown regular engine.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth Moon once said, at a convention I attended, that a person can only learn to become comfortable in a strange place if they can learn to like the tastes and smells of the place.

Taste goes along quite closely with smells, but isn't usually used in description because people smell things before they are likely to taste anything.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading somewhere that the author, who had done a lot of traveling, claimed that each country had a distinct, and unique smell. Apparently America smells like grease... the sort found in french fries. Not a lovely image to leave with visitors.

I recall several books that invoke the sense of smell... primarily "Dune", which made repeated reference to the cinnamon-like smell of the "spice".

Like any description, too much emphasis on the details of smell would detract, but in my opinion subtle mentions of smells can make the writing more powerful.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.