Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question on WOTF.

Author Topic: Question on WOTF.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you had a story published by WOTF and later decided to build on that story, would that be OK? For example, lets say our Aliette decided later on, to make Obsidian Shards the first chapter of a novel, could she do that or would that be considered dirty cricket?

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the contest only buys first publication rights, which is used up with the anthology's release. They may also buy rights for a year after that, but I don't think so. Regardless, after those rights are used up, no matter what, the story becomes the author's again to do with as they please.

Many good stories go on to get published two or three times in separate places. On top of that, the ideas or worlds in a story always still belong to the author, so in Aliette's example, she could write many more stories in her world and be perfectly legal as well.

Like I said, all of this depends on what rights WOTF buys. Most magazines and anthologies buy only first publication rights. Some only for the US, and others foreign and US, depending upon their circulation. For WOTF, they'd have to be buying both foreign and domestic first publication rights at the very least, since their anthology goes out worldwide.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that they're a writing contest, they must have something about what rights they're buying written down somewhere...and, certainly, you might want to find out before you submit to them...do they have a website?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well its not really under the rules unless. Oh wait, your right its under FAQ. So yes it looks like I can as long as the story has been edited to stand on its own. This is assuming a great deal of course but you don't know if you don't try. So here goes nothin.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaymondT
Member # 7281

- posted      Profile for RaymondT   Email RaymondT         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this.

A WOTF winner from Volume XVIII, Patrick Rothfuss, published a novel last year called "The Name of the Wind". The novel which he now developed into a trilogy, is based on his Vol XVIII winning short story "The Road to Levenshir".

It also just came out in Paperback and was on the NYT bestseller list a couple of weeks ago.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.