Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » join the first 13 challenge!

Author Topic: join the first 13 challenge!
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever wondered how others might approach the same story? Ever wondered what this "hook" is that everyone keeps talking about and how to write a good one?

Join the first 13 challenge! It's a great way to experiment with different ideas, and compare results.

Here's the deal--each week a moderator comes up with a story topic. Participants write up the first 13 lines of the story. You can start anywhere you like, and select any character you want. The goal is to write the "hookiest" opening. We all vote on the best one, and the winner gets to be captain for a week.

Why this is a valuable experience: For those learning to write, I think it's particularly helpful to observe and compare how others approach a story. It helps one grasp what a hook is and how many different kinds of hooks there can be. It's also elucidating to read people's comments and observe how they reacted to various entries, including your own.

So, what are you waiting for? It doesn't take long. Read through this week's topic and write up your entry!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

bump!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump! (It's an annepin sandwich!)

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think we could write about that here.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
Now there's a hook. A line? A sinker?

*scarpers*

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slocum
Member # 7925

- posted      Profile for slocum   Email slocum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still looking for the topic. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll find what you're looking for in 'Writing Challenges' section.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

You have to scroll down to the near bottom of the forum (last topic before the locked ones) and open the "Week 6 Challenge Topic".

quote:
Bump! (It's an annepin sandwich!)

oh my!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 26, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
slocum, you'll find the list of Writing Challenges topics if you follow this link .

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
come all ye scallywags. Do ye have what it takes to be Captain Hook?
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'm not giving up a hand...
annepin
Member # 5952

Enter enter enter! Come one new folks! It really is a great, low stakes way to experiment with the first 13. And if you don't win, well, who cares? It wasn't your story anyway--some hack created a cheesey synopsis and you did your best with it. But I think it's confidence-building. Every entry has gotten at least one vote; over all, I'm always surprised by the results, one way or another.
annepin
Member # 5952

I adjusted the rules for this week only (week 6). You can now submit up to two entries. However, points will not be cumulative--each entry must win in its own right. You will be competing with yourself if you put in another entry.

However, I think this will really allow people to try out different first 13s.

In the event I get more than 20 posts, including doubles, I will post only the entry I received first.

Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
At that point entries will certainly outnumber votes. Which, frankly, is a horrible idea IMO.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hm... I hadn't thought of that. You're right, of course. (Sigh... another badly thought-out plan!) Okay, okay, never mind!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.