Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Q2WotF Results (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Q2WotF Results
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
They've posted the first round of Honorable Mentions. Anybody here on it?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Not me.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't recognize any names. That doesn't nescessarily mean much though.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
That could just mean your story is better than honorable mention.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Or that they haven't read it yet, right? Doesn't it usually take them several weeks to post all the honorable mentions, etc?
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, last quarter's Honorable Mentions were announced every couple of days. Took place over about a week/week-and-a-half. From what I understand, the Honorable Mentions are notified first, then put on the blog. (Speculation from here on I assume that's how the order works. Only the finalists have to wait, they've been culled out--and are probably on their way to the judges as K.D. Wentworth gives her critiques on the semi-finalists.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Who all have an entry in? (Besides me.)

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 05, 2008).]

tnwilz
Member # 4080

I wonder if each judge reads all the stories and the winners are a consensus or if they divide the stories up and its more like a slush pile situation where if the person who just happens to get your story is cranky that day another judge who may have really liked it never even sees it. If I were you guys, I'd slip a hundie in the envelope with your story... JK.

If it were I judging, I think I would only fully read the ones that were still tolerable after a pages or two. That way, all the judges would have the time to read all the decent ones. They probably only get a hundred or so decent ones per quarter, maybe 30 a month. Every day you could read 10 first pages of crap and toss em and read one legibly written, possibly even publishable one.

I’d be, “Crap,.. crap,.. crap,.. crap,.. hmm,… nope, can’t spell, more crap,.. crap,.. crap,.. Ah, ha, not bad, must be a Hatracker, lets see what old Orsie sent me this time."

Tracy

I didn't enter, cos hmm, I think I'm afraid of rejection.

PS. I don't know everyone's writing that well, but I would seriously be shocked if Louise (Darklight) didn't at least get an honorable mention, because I know for a fact she knows what she's doing and she's a gifted writer.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited April 29, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
The first reader, Kathy Wentworth currently, is the first judge and divides the rejects, the Honorable Mentions(the placement formely known as quarterfinalist), the semifinalists, and the finalists. Then the 8 finalist stories are sent to a shifting panel of three judges and based on how they rank overall among them, the first, second, and third place winners are selected.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to go on record and put my monopoly money on InarticulateBabbler this quarter--with the caveat that I did not see his final draft. If he revised just right in that last week before deadline, I think he'll be on finalist row.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to go on record and put my monopoly money on InarticulateBabbler this quarter

You are on! I'll place all my 500's, boardwalk and park place against what you got.
I haven't had the pleasure of looking at IB's submit but if it's better than Skadders and WriterDans it has to be a jewel.
For the record, I expect those two to do better than an HM this quarter, outstanding pieces of fiction.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I second Snapper, but I did have the opportunity to review IB's piece and it was exceptional. Best of luck to all. I think the three mentioned above all have a shot in the top three.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Chris (and Scott, sort-of). I'm hoping I'm up there. I don't know if I read Skadders, but I think I pitched in on WriterDan's. Either way, I hope the Hatrackers all leave their handprints (and footprints) in the sidewalk of the WotF.
darklight
Member # 5213

Didn't get to read skadder and IB's entries so can't comment, sorry. WriterDan's was realy good though, but best of luck to all of you.

I'm not expecting great things from my entry this time, but thanks for the vote of confidance, Tracy. Just felt good to enter the competition.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I did read *********** now I think about it. I only saw the rough draft but it was a good idea. Hope it places somewhere for you IB. Louise, could I read your entry? I always love your work.

Tracy

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited April 30, 2008).]

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Tracy,

Please remove his title ASAP. I don't know if he has changed it or not(don't tell us, IB!), but due to the anonymous nature of WOTF, revealing the title in a public forum could disqualify him altogether.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because you don't appear on the honorable mention list doesn't mean you didn't finish there. For Q1 I only received the generic "thank you for playing" letter. Out of the blue they sent me an HM certificate suitable for framing.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

Just because you don't appear on the honorable mention list doesn't mean you didn't finish there.

Nobody thinks all of the results are in, Spaceman. Last quarter, there were over a 100 Honorable Mentions posted (not including those who weren't reached or posted), and there are only 24 up there now. I'd imagine it will be at least a week just to see all the HMs. At the beginning of this thread, I said the first Honorable Mentions were posted up on the blog. This was actually intended to be a congratulatory thread for Hatrack HMs. The last few posts have been pure speculation and--I think--a bit of well-wishing. We've still yet to see the second blog installment. Though, I am sure Hatrackers and LHers will be there aplenty.

Good Luck to all who haven't had the call (or email, or letter), and congratulations to those who have.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 01, 2008).]

EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a story to enter next quarter. Exactly HOW much control over the contest does the CoS have? Depending on who I ask, it's somewhere between none at all and Xenu is reading each story. I'm more inclined to believe something closer to the former.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Shhh. They are listening.

J/K The list of judges is on the site. I don't think it seeps down that far.

But their is no way to be certain, unless you are clear

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I'll stay out of this one this time.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Please don't make this a retread of the religion argument. If you want to read about that, here is the Hatrack version.

As I said, this thread is supposed to be a positive thread.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

When do you suppose the next round of HM's will be announced?
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

The blog informs us that the next installment will be "later in the day" on Monday. That means--if your on the East Coast, like me--Tuesday morning.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

How does the art get associated with the story?
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

How do you mean? The art is done by the winners of the Illustrators of the Future.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

The art fits the stories right, so how do the illustrators know which story they will be illustrating for if they haven't won yet? Do they win for another drawing and then get commissioned for a certain winning story later?

Tracy

RaymondT
Member # 7281

- posted      Profile for RaymondT   Email RaymondT         Edit/Delete Post 
Tracy,

The illustrators send in 3 pieces of art which should be sci-fi or fantasy related. The judges pick the winners for each quarter from these 3 pieces that are submitted.

Once the illustrator winners are chosen and the writer winners are chosen, each illustrator is sent one of the winning stories and has to illustrate that story. The illustrators don't meet the writers and don't know who they are until they all come together at the workshop at which point the writers have to find the artwork for their story from the entire collection and then they are introduced to the illustrator.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Second round of HM's is posted on the blog. I didn't recognize any names from this batch either.
annepin
Member # 5952

Congrats to JeanneT and Alethea Kontis (sorry, don't remember your Hatrack handle) for their honorable mentions!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited May 05, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Now did they really email you to say they recieved your story? Did they do it quickly or weeks later?

Tracy

darklight
Member # 5213

Congratulations from me too. Isn't it great when Hatrackers do well!

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Here Here. Crongrats you two!
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Congrats to JeanneT and Alethea Kontis!!!
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an HM for “Duet”.

It's a start

Congratulations to JeanneT and Alethea Kontis! And good luck to everyone else who entered.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, congrats! By the way, is JeanneT still around any more? Haven't seen hide nor hair od her for... a month now? Two?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I forgot you entered that last quarter Toby. Congratulations! I really expected that to go further. At least to the Semi Finals. It was a great story!
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

I got an HM for “Duet”.

Congratulations!!!

And, yes: Good Luck to all those who haven't heard yet!

annepin
Member # 5952

Hey, congrats, Toby! Good luck to those still in the running.

Would it be helpful to have a WotF debriefing? Maybe discussing why stories didn't work, strategies for the future? Not sure if this would be of use to anyone but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Clever idea, Anne. It could benefit a great deal. Help turn HM's into published subs somewhere else or improve next quarters chances. A learning expirience nonetheless. I should have sent a SASE, but I somehow forgot to include it with my MS. I am sure the notes on it would be helpful*Hitting myself in the head with my pencil*
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to all three! I like the debriefing idea. May I ask when you sent it? A friend sent one a month before the deadline and got a non-winner email a few days after the first HM list. Last quarter, I sent mine on the last day and made the final HM list (they also had a hard time reaching me).
BT, the SASE wouldn't give you any insight. My return script had no notes or marks on it at all (I wanted to get a magnifing glass to study it).
What do you think people? Any hatrackers making a finalist? How many are still waiting for an answer besides me?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, congratulations to all of the HM's. I'm still awaiting word on mine, as are a few others, so I hope all of us make it to Finalists!

Bent Tree, don't kick yourself over it, as only the Semifinalists receive a critique. The Finalists don't even get one because those stories are considered already of publishable quality. The HM's usually get nothing, even though on rare occasions Kathy Wentworth will comment on one, putting maybe a line at the top. I know because I got one such on an HM in early 2005 telling me I started the story in the wrong place, but it's the only time out of I think eight or so HMs with anything at all on it.

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited May 05, 2008).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Good. I am not sweating it now. I still haven't heard. Each day my hope becomes more like dread. If Toby got an HM, I think I am in the middle of the slush pile
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to all three.
(And Toby - shows what I know).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Congrats to you all. It just goes to show you really are in good company here. Even a Horrible mention is not easy to achieve. There is some hardcore competition on this one.

Question, did they really email you to say they received your story? Did they do it quickly or weeks later?

Tracy

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Hey Tracy, I got a email conformation about two weeks after I sent mine in, but it was at the very last minute so I don't no if that is a good indicator or not.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I wonder how many submissions they get per quarter and if its increasing these days?
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

speculation says around 3k. i'd wager it is pretty steady.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

So if they have say 75 Horrible mentions out of 3000, Dang, that's nothing to be ashamed of. You should be so honored. Definately keep subing. They like you. Another probably would have published.

Thats top three percent.

Tracy

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 05, 2008).]

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
A big congratulations to all the Hatrackers who have and will get an HM(Toby, Jeane, and Kontis).

Are HM's in the running for the top three places or once you are on HM you are out of the running and it is their way of patting you on the back?

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.