Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Who's applying to go to San Diego? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who's applying to go to San Diego?
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wondering if I should prepare for a flame war over this.
In the meantime, here is a list of topics in which OSC's Literary Boot Camp and its benefits are discussed.

I knew that you had a crystal ball, KDW

quote:
Point being that writing (in my opinion) is somewhat like painting, on the advanced level he can only teach you his style, because it's the only one he knows. Just like Van Gogh can't to Picasso, or Andy Warhol, and Polluck can only splash paint on canvas.

A very quick glance in How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy & Characters and Viewpoint will reveal many instances where he cites the styles and technique of other authors. Here he teaches craft. One cannot be an artist if one does not know the craft.

quote:
Are you suggesting that the entire sci-fi community rallies around OSC's work like it's old glory?

Perhaps I am speculating, but i think she was suggesting that OSC is a widely respected member of the SF (well even wider than the SF) writing community.

quote:
IB, you seem to have inarticulately babbled your way into a confrontation you were better off avoiding.

I am sure most of the members of this forum do not appreciate your admitted confrontationalism.

quote:
But I'm more interested in the reviews of those who've attended, and not as much in the belligerent attempts at defending Card's pride

If this were the case you might have looked at the link that Jamie Ford provided in an attempt to be helpful. The blog has a daily diary of his experience at the workshop.

quote:
This isn't venom. This isn't anti-card propoganda or hatemongering.

No, this isn't accute enough to be venom, well-thought enough to be propaganda, nor taken seriously enough to be hatemongering. Perhaps a more adequate description would be rabble-rousing.

I for one, would attend if I could afford it or if it were somewhere closer to home. This is based soley on the fact that I have found his books on writing beneficial, and I have heard positive feedback not only on the bootcamp, but the shorter workshops he offers. I also am the type of person that is humble enough to find lessons, even in everyday life, so being immersed in an environment with other dedicated writers and an award-winning, highly published author would no doubt be a learning experience.

But to answer the doctors question. Is it worth it? I will go out on a limb and say absolutely not. If you already feel your artistic abilities surpass the Instructor, then there is not much to gain from the experience, even if it were free.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree to correct his inferior coding (edited May 13, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 13, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I like your "last word," Bent Tree, and would be happy to leave things at that.

But, (second), I do feel a need to explain why I wasn't here to head this off. My daughter, whose first baby only lived for ten hours, went to see the doctor on Monday because she was concerned about her baby (her fourth pregnancy--the two in between are doing fine, by the way), and was told that she was right to be concerned and was put in the hospital immediately (this is passive voice, also by the way). I was watching her two kids while she went and ended up having them sleep here over night (without diapers for the one, pajamas for either, or toothbrushes, or their favorite stuffed toys to sleep with). Her baby boy was born just before midnight on Monday night, but he was only five pounds 13 ounces, and they are monitoring him closely.

On that note, I refer you back to my "single" link even though I clearly stated that it was a LIST of topics discussing OSC's Boot Camp, and I close (this topic) with a final referral to Bent Tree's last word in the previous post.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Time for apologies:

quote:

I profusely apologize. My e-mail to you, and my final post, were both the result of a hot flash of anger. I wasn't thinking clearly, and I said things I didn't mean. I never meant to disrupt the hatrack community, and I for months have enjoyed my stay there. As you can tell by reading the majority of my posts. There has been a recent tragedy in my personal life, the details of which I don't think are appropriate to talk about. But these circumstances have been affecting my judgement, yesterday was especially hard. And I admit to abusing hatrack by letting it become an outlet, while in truth I was only thinking about the very distressing situation here. Hopefully I am a bit better composed today.

Sorry for everything.

Sincerely,
Doctor

I accept, Doctor, and I am leaving this topic open so that any others who wish to apologize for contributing to this unhappy situation may do so as well.

Otherwise, since the original purpose of this topic has been opened in another topic, and since the deadline for applying to attend this year has passed, any posts other than apologies will be deleted.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I humbly apologize if any of my comments were found offensive.

I also wish to convey my sincere best wishes to Doctor. I hope whatever negative circumstances that you face are resolved in the best way possible.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry for my part in it. And hope things are looking up for you Doctor.

Todd

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, I hope your daughter and new grandchild are doing well. I know there are some things that one never ceases to grieve. Losing my oldest daughter was one of them so I have some understanding of your feelings.

Card is one of those people who chooses to make himself controversial. It's no secret that he uses other portions of this website to espouse his politics which is always an invitation to controversy. However, that doesn't mean that he isn't a great teacher. He is one of the pre-eminent writing teachers in the country in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited May 26, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I opened this whole can of worms.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks, people.

JeanneT, my daughter and grandson are doing very well, and I appreciate the good wishes and prayers and other expressions of concern offered to me and them here and in email.

EP Kaplan, you couldn't have known, when you opened the can, that people were going to find (or put) worms in it. It was a perfectly fine can when you opened it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.