Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Creative Awakening

Author Topic: Creative Awakening
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not writing anything right now, unless you count this post.

I'm not sure when or how it happened, but somehow over the past few months or maybe even years, my creative muse took an extended leave of absence. I've continued writing in her absence, sometimes even well, but the joy is missing. It's like I grew up and forgot how to dream.

I have blocks -- tons of them. I feel like a failure despite having a published novel!

So recently, someone recommended a book to me: The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Guide by Julia Cameron.

I've just started, but already I'm seeing that my creative hiatus was far worse than coming up with new story ideas or falling in love with the stories I was writing -- it had infected every part of my life from playing with my son to cooking dinner.

I've decided to be true to the book and step through the 12-week structure slowly and deliberately, doing all the exercises. Tomorrow, I'm going to start writing my morning pages -- 3 pages of anything at all as long as my hand keeps moving.

In the introduction, the author says that the book is something that can be done solo or in a group. I know it's a bit out of the ordinary, but I was wondering if anyone would like to try this book with me? (If so, I think the discussion would belong in the writing class, but I'm not sure.)

Barring that, has anyone else read this book? What did you think?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that is a really interesting thought, with profound implications. I remember having a drought of creativity for a couple of years, ideas that used to flow like rivers had just stopped coming. And I've never been able to explain why it stopped, or why the drought ended. Because before that time, and for the last several years, I have had far more ideas than I can keep up with. Probably more than my share of creativity and energy. (Despite the usual drag I get from having to rewrite the same scene for the billionth time.)

I wonder if I went through something like you described.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited May 14, 2008).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested, but I find that anything that has a daily commitment is likely to get half-done by me. However, I have noticed also a low point in my writing/creativity, though I haven't been writing for very long, I have been on an extended break until very recently. I procrastinate writing, which is very curious because I really enjoy writing. Why do I procrastinate something that I enjoy? I don't know that I'll ever get the answer to that question.

I have not heard of the book, but it sounds good.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I've read the book and found it struck a chord with me. At the time I wasn't prepared to take it on, but I would absolutely love to work through the book with you. I have a lot of respect for you (based on your posts here and the stuff on your web page) and think we might be a good match for this.

I'm sort of in between life right now, trying to embark on a creative adventure (fiction writing, and other stuff) but like you, feel kind of stuck.

Anyway, email me if you want to discuss further.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the time commitment? That sounds like something I'd be interested in, but it's soccer season, and the beginning of summer...
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Notepads and pencils are good for summer. I remember writing a story one day while standing in lines at an amusement park.

Christine, please feel free to go ahead with this. I can move this topic if you like, or we can leave it here.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi,

I have wondered the very same thing. The best explanation I could come up with was that writing can be a very draining experience, it takes a lot of energy.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm at the point where I don't fight writer's block. When my writing muses want to take a sabbatical back to their respective home planets and/or alternate realities, instead of hiding their passports, I now help pack their bags.

There's a quote I read a while back that I've incorporated into my process: "When fishermen cannot go to the sea, they mend their nets." In the case of writing: when new ideas aren't coming to me with their usual flash flood intensity, I study physics, or brush up on my math (plenty of dust to brush off that skill set! ), or research new markets and new agents, or work on my web site. These things aren't direct acts of writing, but they very much assist with the entirety of my writing exploits.

quote:

it had infected every part of my life from playing with my son to cooking dinner.

When I wasn't getting as much writing done as I felt was necessary, I ended up short-changing time with my kids in order to give me more time at the keyboard. Except, this 'gift of time' to myself was oftentimes squandered staring at the screen in disgust of how little time I have for writing.

Fortunately, I self-diagnosed this condition within myself before it could mess me up irreversibly. I realized that, although spending time playing HotWheels with my 5 year old or helping my 8 year old with homework or throwing the football with my 11 year old or discussing photography and the arts with my 16 year old was time spent away from the physical act of writing, it would lead me to unique and valuable experiences in living my life...which added to the number of experiences I could draw upon when I was once again behind the keyboard. "When fishermen cannot go to the sea..."

Curiously enough...even though I'm spending less time these days actually writing manuscripts, I'm the happiest I've ever been as a writer.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope it works for you.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 14, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

The book says that the time commitment is an hour a day. I can't vouch for this as I've just started. I did read through week one today and if I do all of the exercises, that amount seems plausible. You don't have to do them all, though. In the "how to use this book" the author suggests that you do the exercises that most resonate with you and the ones that you are most resistant to. (Some of that psychology stuff. ) The reading itself definitely won't take much time, especially a week at a time, and it might generate some good discussion. So even if you're just in it for reading and talk, it might do you some good. (Although doing at least some of the exercises would be useful.)

I can definitely understand that things are going on in all of our lives -- I'm actually 38.5 weeks pregnant right now so I'm expecting a tiny little interruption very soon. I'm mostly interested in good discussion and in bouncing ideas and revelations off of one another -- not being a nazi about doing the "coursework."

Kathleen -- perhaps we could leave this here and then put the week to week discussions in the writing class section? I figure give everyone a couple of weeks to get the book and start week 1 on June 1st, which is conveniently a Sunday.

Crank -- I think that's very insightful. In fact, I was worried about the time commitment of doing this book when I've got so much going on in my life...When in the world am I going to get around to actual writing? But then I realized -- I'm not happy with writing right now anyway and I don't feel confident that I've written anything good. I have set 3 hours a day aside for writing (my son takes a nice long nap) but lately have maybe used an hour of that. The rest is noise. So if I take time out to sharpen my creativity and still only manage to get one hour -- but one productive hour -- that's an improvement!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I would LOVE to get in on this. I'm doing student teaching to be an English teacher right now, though, and I barely have time to breathe (a cliche that I never understood until these last couple months as I started teaching). If you guys are still around doing this come Summer, though, I'm in.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd like to join too. I'm looking for mutual help finishing stories.

I don't seem to have much trouble dreaming up new ideas. My challenge is finishing and submitting. Partly I procrastinate over the revisions, and partly it's about managing work/life/writing balance. Is it likely the Artist's Way could help with finishing as well as creating?

Also, I found the website here ...
http://theartistsway.com/index.php?section=4&sub=9&id=230
... and there's a spiritual dimension to it. How important is that? I'm kinda spiritual but it's a personal thing; I've never found a group with which I'm comfortable sharing spirituality.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm going to rephrase a bit -- there is a personal spiritual dimension that is important, which is unlocking the creative potential inside of you. The spiritual dimension does not require any specific belief in a higher being, only in yourself. I was a bit nervous about that, but right off the bat the author says that her use of the word "god" is not meant to define that entity in any way and that even if you don't believe in a god or creator at all, going through the process in the book will still work. Which is good, because I have a personal kind of spirituality which is often out of sync with others. You can read the book with whatever personal beliefs you happen to hold.

As far as what stage in the writing process you are having difficulty with -- I don't think it's relevant. This book is for creativity of all sorts, not just writing. The purpose is to find out what's blocking you and to eliminate that. Blocks don't just occur in the dreaming up ideas part -- there are things that can keep us from properly finishing work as well. You just need to apply it in your own life in that way.

I'm having trouble with both the finishing and the dreaming, so I'm really hoping the book helps with both.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited May 14, 2008).]

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Christine.

I feel an imminent visit to Waterstones coming on.

Yes please, I'd like to try it.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Great. Go for it.

I'll let you start the topic in the Writing Class area when you're ready, Christine.

I just checked Amazon, and I believe I've found the book there -- let me know if this is the wrong link.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

That's the right book, but amazon also has a cheaper paperback version. Also, it looks like the hard cover is out of stock. This will get you to the paperback version:

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Way-Spiritual-Creativity-Anniversary/dp/1585421464/ref=ed_oe_p

brainie
Member # 7810

- posted      Profile for brainie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested too. My momentum seems to have stopped lately.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I would be interested in trying, if you all will have me. I was going to go back to Jerry Cleaver's prescription, but the idea of working in a group sounds a little more appealing.

In my case, I know on the surface what started my problems--the abrupt termination of a fairly long marraige that cast me unexpectedly into the role of a financially-strapped, full-time, single dad. It totally blew my routine out of the water (along with all the uh, well, emotional complications that go along with such things).

By the way, there are a couple of you I've owed crits to. I hope you'll accept an apology for my not doing them. If I could have, I would have.

For the last month I've been making an effort to get back into the groove but it's like the mechanisms are all clogged up. The ironic thing is that right before the divorce started happening I had just completed a draft of my first novel and was enthusiastically working on a revision, and had knocked out a handful of shorter works that felt like they were my best yet. Things really seemed to falling into place for me. Now I drop the bucket down into the well and when I fetch it back I get only dust and dried leaves.

I'll go check out the website someone posted above. Is there some sort of a quick-start guide out there until I can track down the book?

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've done the morning pages from the Artist's Way before, and while there is a recommended time allotment, you truly only have to do what works for you. The key is to do the amount of work that gives feels right, that gives you joy. Part of it is simply the discipline to make time for yourself, to be introspective and to reach out to your inner muse. Too much of our creativity gets zapped by the busy-ness with which we fill our lives. We tend to live life like we are human-doings, instead of human-beings.

The Artist's Way is a superb tool to help you recognize all the areas in your life that are touched by creativity. The process is well worth the time invested.

Regarding spirituality - it's not the same thing as religion. It is an inner feeling of connectedness with the universe, humanity, and ourselves. Religion can bolster that connection, but isn't required to get in touch with an awareness of the inner spirit, that spark of joy and gratitude for being alive. Nurturing our creativity also nurtures our joy.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"Now I drop the bucket down into the well and when I fetch it back I get only dust and dried leaves."

I think I detect a few drops of creativity already.

Cheers,
Pat

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"Is there some sort of a quick-start guide out there until I can track down the book?"

I'm in the same boat.

There's a pdf (free download) of the Basic Tools on Julia Cameron's official website here:
http://theartistsway.com/index.php?section=2&PHPSESSID=e52f91f06360e0244e8d6707beacb09f

It describes the two basic tools--morning pages, and artist date. Sounds cool.

Enjoy!
Pat

Christine
Member # 1646

I did the morning pages this morning for the first time and it wasn't bad. I got a bit of a hand cramp because I'm not used to writing longhand, but other than that, it seemed to help me figure out what I was thinking -- the good and the bad.

If you want to do a quick start, I'd go with the morning pages and the artist date. The 3 pages are stream of conscious and your pen should not come off the pages until you are done. Just write. Anything that comes to mind. If you can't think of anything to write, then fill 3 pages with, "I can't think of anything to write." You can jot down grocery lists, chores you have to do for the day...whatever you are thinking about. This is an exercise to free your mind, not hone your writing craft (it is not specific to writers), so don't worry about spelling or grammar or anything else. In fact, don't go back and read it.

Christine
Member # 1646

P.S. I am planning to start on June 1st to give everyone a chance to get the book.
Elan
Member # 2442

Another tip for doing the morning pages is to occasionally use your non-dominant hand for writing. I'm right-handed, so when I write with my left hand, it seems to free up a part of my mind and give voice to a part of me that is normally more constrained. It's an interesting experiment.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
OK if you can do it! I can't even write legibly with my left hand, never mind my right. I have to use the keyboard (both hands) or I'd have trouble reading it myself.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

You aren't going for legibility here... you are making an attempt to tap into your creative mind. You'll be surprised at what you come up with by using this method.
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I found a copy of the book at my local BAM store. They had it shelved in the "Self Help" section rather than the books on writing section.

I did my first morning pages this morning. It was kind of interesting. She is not the only authority I've seen that recommended such an exercise, but in the past I've substituted work on my latest project for true stream-of-conscience writing. Since I'm not able to do that now, I actually followed the instructions for a change. Even though it was complete drivel, whiney in tone, it actually left me with a positive feeling and a clearer mind.

[This message has been edited by dee_boncci (edited May 16, 2008).]

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

dee_boncci: Yep, that's the point of the morning exercises. I've felt the same way two mornings in a row now.

And no, you wouldn't find this book in a section on writing since it's not specifically for writers -- it's for anyone who wants to become more creative.

Christine
Member # 1646

Just wanted to bump this and remind everyone who's interested that we're getting started on Sunday. I'm actually going to post the first topic in the Writing Class today because I've got guests coming this weekend and may not be able on Sunday.
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, and timely, interview of Julia Cameron and two psychologists in Scientific American: How to Unleash Your Creativity.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.