Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » instrument of the devil?

Author Topic: instrument of the devil?
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Many on hatrack have speculated on whether Freecell or Spider Solitaire are instruments of the devil designed purely to keep you from writing.
In unanimity the response has been: Yes, they are!
The question is: Which game is more evil, which distracts you more. Vote! Or dont'!

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Spider Solitaire is more evil.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you think that it's here, Hatrack itself, that is the manifestation of His Immortal Terribleness? (HIT)

I mean, honestly, these words could represent another 20 words in my MS. But they don't. They're just here in the ether, somewhere in the space between me and the rest of the known universe.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, there's not enough activity on the boards to keep me obsessing over them that long. It's other forums elsewhere that I have to worry about.
Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, it's the combination. I have to "check" my seven or so blogs, then this forum, then my own blog, then my email.

I think the Internet itself is the Devil.

(just kidding Internet, I love you. You know I love you. Please don't be angry with me.)

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm voting for the keyboard. I can type pretty darn fast, but I mess up one word and I swear I'm backspacing and blindly hitting buttons for twenty minutes, waiting to be back on track.

I want "thought to computer" word. Or telepathy. I'll take either.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Mine Sweeper. Pure distractional evil.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to check here and Baen's couple of dozen forums and the agent blogs and the blogs of some of the pubs I submit too. What? The day is over and I haven't written a word? How could that happen?
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with JeanneT and the others. My day used to start with an hour of writing, now its an hour of forums and such, writing related but not the same.

Now that I got Ywriter up and running, my novel is more organized, and I see the areas I need to work on. So hopefully I will gain at least part of my hour back.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, there's a whole slew of free games on the internet... Sonny the Zombie has been occupying me lately.

Seriously, to write I used to pull out my wireless card. Now I use a Mac so it's a little harder, but I turn off my wireless connection. Or use another computer which isn't hooked up. I used to play FreeCell obsessively but I think I've just played it too much and lost interest.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing most of my writing at work, where, conveniently, I can't get to the forums that are the worst offenders.

Haven't been obsessed with little games for quite a while, and I'm not sure I want to think about it. I'd rather keep it that way.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
According to Martin Short and Jon Lovitz, the instrument of the devil is the triangle.

I gave up on Free Cell after I got obsessed with keeping a winning streak alive. Found I was turning my computer off when I lost, which cleared the current game and left the streak as is. Moved over to Minesweeper and Spider Solitaire after that...usually play one hand of either to warm up before starting to write. (Come to think of it, I played a hand of Free Cell this afternoon.)

My computer came with a good game of Hearts, but that takes too long to finish up properly...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, I turn to playing games when I need a break from either writing out a new plot or editing one of my first, second, or third drafts. I find the break helps me think more clearly and actually gives me time to think over what I've already written. Then, I can go back refreshed and put in more time on my writing.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.