Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Clip Art?

Author Topic: Clip Art?
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for clip art (free clip art) that shows the phases of the moon. I have a calendar that shows, but it's white moon against black background, and i just want an outline. I could draw them out, but I can't figure out how to get drawn stuff scanned in and then formatted so I could plop it into some text. Ideas? Direction?
Thanks, Deb

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Most home computers come with really simple graphics programs (like Microsoft's Paint program. Apple probably has something *much* nicer and more intuitive, LOL) You could easily use the shapes tool to draw crescents. At least I believe you can. Somehow I managed to delete my copy of MS Paint when I was on a "delete everything I don't need" spree a few months ago when out of disk space (again.)

Oops.

Edited to add - otherwise, google "free clip art moon phases" and you should be able to find things.

[This message has been edited by KayTi (edited June 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Debhoag, I could send you some jpg, gif, or bmp files that would serve your purposes. I'd need to know what dimensions you want and what document application you're putting them in, Word or WordPerfect or other? How many increments? New moon, waxing crescent, first quarter, waxing gibbous, full moon, waning gibbous, last quarter, and waning crescent moons wouldn't take me long to render.

These are the only lunar character entities for web source code that I know of.
☾ ☪ ☽

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Extrinsic, that would be awesome (kayti, I already googled moon and moon phase clip art and several other combinations of words and didn't find anything that worked). I'm looking for small, plain renderings, black line on white, no 'night sky' background, that would fit into a line of 16 point courier type. And yes, exactly what you listed, plus the half moon. It's for a werewolf story, and the phase of the moon as different events happen is pertinent enough that I thought it would be worth it to start the chapters with a visual reminder. Oh, and I use open office, which is pretty flexible in converting other programs. So whatever is comfortable to work in, I can work with.

And, Kayti, in the meantime, I'll mess around with my graphics program.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited June 15, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited June 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Debhoag,

I sent you some quick and simple clip art moon phases. Let me know how they work out. I use Corel for graphic artwork. I find the Corel Draw suite less expensive than similar Adobe applications and just as useful. InDesign alone costs as much as the entire Corel suite.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Extrinsic, that was exactly what I needed. Thanks very much. Let me know what I can do in return!
thanks again, deb

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.