Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF Anonymity Question

Author Topic: WOTF Anonymity Question
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering about the "Fragments and Feedback for Short Stories" forum and the possible presence of judges from the WotF contest.

Since the contest is blind, should we not post for crits of a story we intend to submit to WotF?

Just wondering if that was a concern. I know that there are groups in the "Hatrack Groups" forum for this as well but since they are not publicly posted they are ok.

Thanks for your feedback.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say for certain, but i've used the F&F without getting disqualified (I just didn't use the title)--of couse...I didn't win either.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike some other critque groups, Hatrack is a public forum. It would be wise to NEVER use the title you intend on using on her, it is. Although, it is unlikely that a judge would read any of the post on here (even Mr. Card, I'm afraid) it would be best if you wouldn't tempt fate.
A lot of the members on this site are slush readers for other magazines, so in case you submit your finished product to lets say, Flash Fiction Online, you really don't want to taint there opinion of your piece because they remembered your original post on here.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...are you saying not to workshop a piece on here that you intend to submit?

While a few of us are indeed slush readers for magazines and ezines (including Flash Fiction Online), we expect you to workshop for the best possible piece to submit. I, for one, have not rejected anything I recognized from here (I think I've seen two), I only took myself out of the recommendations for said pieces. If it's a memorable 13, there's a reason: it's either horrible--in which case you will inevitably be told--or it has something.

But, as I have said before, I can only speak for myself.

(PS - Contrary to popular belief, I love to see fellow Hatrackers get published.)

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 29, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't imagine that it would have any negative affects for a slush editor to see your work here first. Might even help you.

I'm more concerned with WotF because of the anonymity of that contest.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
In case your question is directed at me, IB, no I meant to say I never put the title of my work in the F & F section, just in case it may influence someones decision.
I assume that stories are excepted based on merit alone anyway, but why tempt fate? Maybe I'm just being superstitious

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the WOTF group eliminates any sticky situations which might occur due to posting in F&F. Unless you just have no interest in joining a group there would be no need to unless it was a last minute descision to join, or something like that. Being somewhat naive, I posted my first entry in F&F--title and all.

It definately is not a good idea to post your title...ever, but in all honesty I doubt it would ever come into question. Millions of words are read per year by those that judge our stories. I am sure that they don't spend much time perusing through our first thirteen lines, but it is certainly a risk not worth taking, once you know the potential consequences. We work hard enough on our little unapreciated stories to have our chances narrowed even further, by being disqualified.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great ! That was the only reason I was writing my short story, and I did just what everyone is saying not to do. Should I still enter it even though I submitted my first 13 title and all? What if I find another title? Though I must admit the one I've already picked is the best one for it.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

quote:
Oh great ! That was the only reason I was writing my short story, and I did just what everyone is saying not to do. Should I still enter it even though I submitted my first 13 title and all? What if I find another title? Though I must admit the one I've already picked is the best one for it.

Honestly Crystal, I would just submit it the way it is. Like they've already said, chances are that no judges frequent this place and you don't want to cripple an otherwise good story by giving it a title that you don't feel good about.

In the future just use a working title that you know you won't use or no title at all. That's my plan.

Anthony

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal, if you like, you can tell me which topic it is (the title it has now), and I can change the topic title to something else ("untitled story" is always good).
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much, Kathleen, but I doubt if I'll do much more with it in short story F&F forum until I'm ready for a reader. It still needs work before I'll be ready to send it.

I really like the last "first 13" that I posted. The story was my horse abuser novella. If you change the title of my topic, I guess you could call it "A horse abuser fantasy"? How does that sound?

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a tad kinky. How about "fantasy - includes horse abuse" instead?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Oh my! It does, doesn't it? LOL!

Yeah, I guess that'll do. Once you've already chosen a title, it's hard to come up with an alternate. I thought originally of calling it "The Watcher" or "Watcher in the Woods", but both have been used at one time or another.

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited July 01, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Done.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.