Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ending a story on a question

Author Topic: Ending a story on a question
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, or Nay? Anyone ever encounter this before? Did it work?
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on the style of narration and the nature of the question.

It tends to work if there is a higher form of narration. Almost like a second person lead in and close. I think I am too tired to explain what I am trying to say.

It tends to fail when the narration is weak or the question is an important element that should have been in the plot to offer a satisfactory conclusion.

I have seen it shine and fail

Not that that helps

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what you mean, annepin? You mean an indefinite ending?
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean a literal question. I guess that might imply an indefinite ending. I intended it to be a rhetorical question, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure it came off that way. Bent Tree, I'm glad to hear you say that (about strong narration) because that's what I was going for. I suppose it's a riskier way to end a story, but in the right situation might be just the sort of lingering aftertaste required.

Anyway, I'm curious what other people's thoughts are on the matter.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I don't recall ever having seen it done but that doesn't mean it couldn't be.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Aldiss wrote a story whose title was a question: "Who can Replace a Man?" But I can't remember how it ended.

The movie "Finding Nemo" ends with a question which cracks me up every time I see it.

And of course there's Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy with its famous "The answer's 42--now, what's the question?"

Clarke's "2001" ended with us asking a question ("Wha...?"), and left us with several questions unanswered.

Several stories end with an implicit question. Asimov's "Nightfall", for example: did they make it through and reconstruct their civilisation?

Aside from those I can't think of any stories that end with a question, but the concept is interesting and I'd like to see it done. That final question would have to be a delicious one to savour, one that doesn't demand an answer, that we're sure the characters will solve one way or another.

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited July 10, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
That famous short story -- The Lady or the Tiger? -- a classic example of ending with a question.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it could be argued that GONE WITH THE WIND ends with a question, but Scarlett says she'll think about it tomorrow.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Many end indeterminately. Pip and the Fairies (one of my favorite fairly recent short stories) certainly does. But that's a bit different than ending on the narrator asking a question.

I don't remember the narrator asking a question in Gone with the Wind but it's been many years since I read it.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 10, 2008).]

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be leery of ending a story with a question. It could imply that the story is incomplete. Even if it is the first in a trilogy the question may still get a mixed response. For example, a movie that ends with a question would likely have people walking out mumbling about the unanswered question, possibly deprived of that ‘complete experience’ feeling. Complete resolution to your plot generates the most favorable response from the public at large. Not to say that there wouldn't be some university English professors that may declare an unconventional ending as genius. They, however, won’t pay your mortgage. So my advice is, when you reach the level of Ursula K. LeGuin, do whatever you like, but when the market has yet to eye you with any respect, play within the walls of convention and give them their Hollywood ending.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.