Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » First Person Advice

Author Topic: First Person Advice
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
In this case I am offering it for what it is worth. It seems to me that holistically, as writers in general, we are conditioned to avoid first person narrative. Perhaps it is do to the fact that it must be done really well in order for it to be appreciated. I am not sure exactly the logic behind this trend of advice.

By my calculations I have read or listened to (Pod Casts) 143 short stories since January of this year. Give or take a dozen.
This count is from the genres SF, Fantasy, and Horror. Of these many stories, my guestimation is that close to 35 percent were first person narratives. I think this estimate is a little low, and I may actually delve into the scientific method to establish some precise figures. Also the percentage in Horror seemed much higher, perhaps over fifty percent.

So to the point I am trying to make here. There is definately a trend for 1st person. I have read great good, not-so-good, and terrible, but there is no doubt that it is a large percentage of published stories. So I feel that we are essentially handicapping ourselves by limiting our work to third person.

I am not saying write every story in first. I am simply encouraging you all to explore this if you are comfortable in doing so, and don't limit yourself out of an opportunity due to extraneous advice which, to me, seems to have no meritable origins.

Practice it, if you are so inclined. It could offer you more pub potential, and at the very least can be an excercise in creativity.

-The End-

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

*Actual testimony, I just recieved in an email*

Yeah, bent. I just red yer post and wrote me up a flash fiction piece usin "I" alot. You wouldn't believe it, but I got a response almost befer I got back to me mail box. It said they wanted to consign my story.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't count the short stories I read, so I can't tell you whether is was more or less than 143 in the last year. I can tell you that I can't think of more than a handful that were written in the first person.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
My last four stories (finished, unfinished, and outlined-but-yet-to-be-written) were first person. My recent unfinished novel was third person, though.

I've just had trouble conveying necessary information and creating empathy with the central character without doing first person of late.

I tried about five pages of one story in third person, but couldn't find a way to put out important information---that the central character was successfully impersonating someone else, that no other character recognized (or would admit, at that stage of the story) she wasn't who she said she was. I had to go back and rewrite that stretch, then go on from there.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed this as well, however there is a difference between listening and reading a short story.

I think 1st person fits well with spoken word because it is like listening to a person's account of an event.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here are a couple of reasons for not using first person:

1--the risk of bragging, or appearing to brag, which can be avoided if the "I" narrator takes the approach of "this is what I learned through sad experience" instead of "this is the wonderful thing I did" (of course, not all first person stories do either).

2--the lack of suspense, because if the person has lived to tell the tale, then all the life-threatening stuff doesn't come across as very life-threatening (by the way, using a dead narrator to tell a story tends to feel like a cheat to the reader).

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just an observation. My wife reads a lot. So I can't help myself and always look at the first 13. I was suprised to see that the majority of the big name best sellers she reads are first person: Dean Koontz, James Patterson were the last two I looked at that were first person.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
I've noticed this as well, however there is a difference between listening and reading a short story.
I think 1st person fits well with spoken word because it is like listening to a person's account of an event.

You're right about that. All the podcasts as skewed even more in that direction.

But I recall a recent Analog in which three of five were 1st.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quick stats from Asimovs and Analog

June Analog
3-first
3-third
April Analog
2-first
4-third
March Asimov's
3-first
5-third
October Intergalactic Medicine Show
0-first
7-third
January Intergalactic Medicine Show
3-first
4-third

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

From PseudoPod

As mentioned this is spoken and horror so I am sure they are biased towards 1st person which shows. I didn't toil through every MS, but I got enough to give an accurate portrayal, I think.

Also consider the fact that they buy first audio rights and for the most part accept only stories which have been previously published. Most of these are pro and semi-pro pubs. I could not find a "previouly publicated" in a publication that I did not consider reputable.

27-1st person
25-third

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

The latest 25 from Escape Pod: http://escapepod.org/

17-1st
8-3rd

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Hugo Nominees '07

1-first
4-third

I didn't count novlettes or novellas

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I know when I'm writing a novel that I will have several POV's depending on the situation and which POV will bring out a scene or chapter the best. So they are in 3rd person. But in a short story, it's best to stay with one POV, which makes it easier to do in 1st person insteat of 3rd in my opinion and if one is inclined to write that way.

I've been toying with making my novella 1st person because it's all from Wyatt's POV. I have even caught myself slipping into 1st person and then changing it to 3rd to match what I've already written.

The reason I've been trying to stay with 3rd is because 1st seems to be more the norm with short stories. I figure that if I do the story from a more unique POV (and do it well... I hope) that there would be more of a chance to catch the editor's eye. Does that make sense? If not, it wouldn't take much to change the whole thing over to 1st. I should add that I just finished reading one of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books, and they are all in 1st. I'm now reading the latest Robert Asprin Myth book, and it, too, is first person. Maybe this is the reason why I keep slipping into 1st with my novella?

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Postcards From...

Volume One

Hell-Horror
2-1st
1-3rd

Uranus-SF (With one being a story from our very own Skadder)
2-1st
3-3rd

Woody End-Fantasy
1-1st
0-3rd

Volume Two

Woody End-Fantasy

2-1st
2-2nd

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, Bent Tree. I'd be curious in continued reporting of this. I've never kept track, though perhaps now I will. In any event, I personally have a harder time getting engaged in first person. And a hard time writing in first, for that matter.

I've heard that more new writers tend to write in first. So maybe what we're seeing is the result that more submissions are in first. Assuming, of course, that there are more submissions. Or at least each magazine is getting proportionally more submissions, which may be logical considering many publications have disappeared (less venues = more submissions per venue, assuming number of submissions hasn't decreased.).

I've also seen in various submission web sites that they encourage writers to write in third simply because it's much easier getting stories in first person.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Hey Crystal, and all. I am not saying you should drop what you are doing and write in the first, or change what you are writing to the first. I just think that it is a part of our craft that we should not overlook due to misguided information or advice.

I won't dig up all the statistical information on previous threads regarding this subject. (For and against 1st Person Narration)I have been digging all morning. And there is plenty of evidence that supports publishers are buying it. I just wanted to share this as an attempt to shed some light on the subject.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

So to summarize the above;

63-1st
66-3rd

That is pretty close and more than a handful of 1st person accounts.

Granted I am sure the Podcast skewed this count a fraction.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Strange Horizons (What is currently up)

3-1st
1-3rd

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to post an article I wrote (and used to have on my website) about how writers (well, everyone, come to think of it) should check before accepting "misguided information or advice."

I'll come back and edit this to include a link to the post once I've posted it.

Okay, the Writers Reality Check topic is here.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I look forward to it, Kathleen. I also don't mean to imply that all the information is misguided or incorrect. I also have read real solid on "how to write in the first and reasons against" which are valid.

I just think perhaps it has become almost taboo to many of us new writers.

Here is the Count from the 24th Annual edition of "The Years Best Science Fiction"

6-1st
19-3rd

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I said that I had seen only a handful, not that you had, Bent Tree. I don't read most of those publications. Most of what I read are past Nebula and Hugo winners and nominees (I'm trying to read all of them for the past 50 years) along with current Jim Baen's Universe and IGMS.

If you take out the podcast and lower tier publications, you come up with very different statistics.

I'm not saying not to write in 1st person if that's what you want to do or if you think that's what the story calls for. But I think advocating doing so is questionable advise as is telling people not to.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's something a lot of new writers do, and so it has probably developed a kind of "this is amateurish" stigma because of that.

First person point of view when done well is great, but it isn't as easy as some new writers may think. I guess it looks easy, though.

One thing writers might want to try is writing the first draft in first person, then going through and editing it so that the second draft is in third person, and see which you like.

I submit that when you do it that way, you may end up with something that might combine some of the advantages of both (or the disadvantages of both). You could try it the other way around as well, and see which you like better there, too.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
I said that I had seen only a handful,

Oops, I didn't mean to flay with my comment. I think it was subconcious. Truth be told. The fact that you don't recall that many raise questions in my mind about "Is this a matter of preference" Did you peruse intros and read what you are interested in?

Not to speculate, which I seem to be doing alot of this morning. But could this be the very conditioning of which I speak. I don't mean to make you a case study, but I only have you in this thread to compare notes with currently.

I used to be set against it. In fact many of the counts in these publications, I ignored for the fact that they wer in 1st person. I of course, was even greener than I am now, but that aspect set the wheels of thought in motion. It is were I first noticed how many were in this style.

Now, I read, and sometimes toil through stories that I am not interested in, because I find that it has helped me improve my craft. I tend to go about it in a more analytical fashion now.

So, I apologize if I came across brash.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Kathleen,
I liked that point you made. I did so in one instance inadvertently. I started it in the first, but revised it to the third because the voice didn't seem that great to me. The result was I had managed to delve deeper into the POV character and I think the resulting story benefitted from that.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Take a look at what I said I read (and what I read I also study, Bent Tree).

I read previous Nebula and Hugo winners and a few top tier Pro publications. I don't edit my reading choices for person. Some are first person--but these are writers who choose first person because they think it's best for that story not because it looks easy.

I'm going to post a little "lecture" from Eric Flint from the JBU slush on the subject. I can't link to it because that's a password protected site. I think this is as good a discussion as I've seen from someone who is not only a top writer but also a top editor. I take his advice very seriously.

quote:

I've noticed that a lot of the stories that Paula and the editorial board have been sending me to look at are written in the first person instead of the more common third person narrative style. The phenomenon has gotten pronounced enough that I figured I ought to give everyone some general advice.

The main piece of advice is that it's usually a bad idea to use the first person. There are a few authors, like Keith Laumer, for whom that voice came naturally; and a few others, like Robert Heinlein, who could move back and forth with perfect ease from first to third.

Most authors can't and don't. I'm talking about very well-established authors, mind you. If you take a quick look at the writings of any of the following current authors, you will find few instances where they chose to write in the first person:

David Weber
David Drake
Lois Bujold
Misty Lackey

-- or me, for that matter. I've published over twenty novels and only one of them was written in the first person, with a second switching back and forth between a first person and a third person viewpoint.

If you look back through the history of SF -- or most forms of fiction except possibly mystery stories -- you'll find exactly the same thing. Tolkien, Clarke, Asimov, Poul Anderson, you name it. Yes, there are _some_ authors who handle the first person superbly well. But not many.

There's are several reasons for that. Newbies tend to think that first person is easier to write in, but it actually limits your viewpoint quite sharply -- and very few newbies can handle that limit well. For that matter, very few authors can, period, newbies or not. The sort of mild blurring of viewpoint that is not a big problem with third person narrative sticks out like a sore thumb in first person. It's a very unforgiving narrative voice.

The second problem is that, in the nature of things, a first person narrative sticks the _narrator_ directly in the eye of the reader. Whereas, with the third person, the narrator tends to fade into the background and is far less obtrusive.

That's fine -- IF your narrator is intrinsically a very interesting narrator. But, being blunt, most aren't. Most are just generic protagonists, with enough in the way of distinctive traits to make them stand out but not enough to make their constant narrative ruminations very interesting. In most stories, with most protagonists, what the reader is really interested in is what they DO and what they SAY -- not what they think, except from time to time.

And that leads me to the third problem, which is that using a first person narrative voice almost invariably (especially with inexperienced authors) leads down a steep and slippery slope called "the clever quips" and/or "the pointless asides."

Shakespeare could pull off asides to the audience in his sleep. You are probably not Shakespeare. What usually happens is that the writer gets wordy and starts peppering his narrative with all sorts of extraneous material that, even if it's mildly witty or interesting in its own right, just gets in the way of the STORY.

This is just a piece of advice on my part, that's all. It is in no sense a "Rule." I have and will buy stories written in the first person, if they're good enough. But, most times, I think authors are saddling themselves with an extra burden by choosing that narrative voice.

Here's a general rule of thumb that I recommend everyone use if you're trying to decide whether to use the first or third person narrative voice.

If you've written the story in the first person, go through it line by line. If you discover, over and over again, that the story works perfectly well just by changing "I" to "he" or "she"...

Then rewrite it in the third person. The first person voice is simply cumbersome and extraneous -- and pointless.

I'll end by discussing the one major exception in my own career where I deliberately chose the first person. That was THE PHILOSOPHICAL STRANGLER. I chose the first person because in that story, Ignace's thoughts and ruminations and grouses and commentary _is_ central to the story. If you were to do a line-by-line dissection of that novel, you'd see that I _couldn't_ simply swamp "he" for "I" and have it work.

But most times, you can -- and, that being so, why are you screwing around with this intrinsically intrusive and risky narrative voice?

Eric

Copyright Eric Flint

Edit: Blech--hope posting that is all right, Kathleen. If not I'll delete it. I don't think it violates any copyrights since it was a post in a news group.

The comment that I thought was the most important and most telling in his comments was this one: It's a very unforgiving narrative voice.

Lynk
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for Lynk   Email Lynk         Edit/Delete Post 
The novel I wrote is entirely first person, if you didn't get that from my first 13. I still can't tell what I like better but writing my book was really fun in first person and I think it would have been very dull had I written it in third person.

Chronicles of Amber are all written in first person... Not sure if anyone mentioned that, yet.

[This message has been edited by Lynk (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
If you take out the podcast and lower tier publications, you come up with very different statistics{

Yeah, you are right.

19-1st
33-3rd

But with the exeption of the podcasts, these all offer pro rates so I wouldn't consider them a lower tier. In fact, most of those on Podcasts aren't paid pro rates, but have been published in pro markets. Escape pod runs all the Hugo Nominees as well.Getting your work in those markets is also very beneficial to writing careers. Look what it has done for ;Cat Rambo, Mcleod, Renyolds, and Scott Seigler

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard to not use first person, however, it is extremely noticeable when not done well. I don't think first/third person makes a difference in the marketing (unless some editors can't stand one), I think that you have a different set of guidleines to clean them up by. I remembering reading it was a definite no-no to describe the main character from their own PoV (looking in the mirror), when using 1st person--it's said, in certain circles, that you can do that only once and to leave it until you're much more experienced. Forutnately, (or unfortunately) I don't believe everything I read.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
Take a look at what I said I read (and what I read I also study, Bent Tree).

I think you are taking me the wrong way. I am more wondering out loud and questioning. I didn't mean to imply anything about your reading habits. Sorry again if I came across that way. I was mainly asking the question if you read by preference or out of diligence. I understand now that you go about it much in the same way as I do. In fact your scope is a little higher,which I admire. It means that you are intently focused on honing your craft.

You make valid points that I won't contest, and this link is a very good example of "Getting it straight from the mouth" of someone in the big leagues.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

About 90% of my reading these days is for professional reasons. I read and study what are considered the best stories to try to learn from them. I severely deconstruct them.

I don't dislike 1st person stories if they're well done. Now take Niven's Inconstant Moon which is a story I like very much. It won the 1972 Hugo Award for best short story.

Later today I think I'll give this story another read and think about how it would have been different in another PoV. But Niven when he does 1st person does it very well. That is certainly the case in that story. But it is a PoV that puts huge limitations on the writer.

In 3rd person limited, you can have all kinds of shades of "closeness." As a slush reader pointed out to me just a few days ago, you can have all kinds of shades and degrees of closeness in that without violating PoV and it can and does change within even the same paragraph. This is not true of first. The limitations are extreme and it stands up and shouts if you violate PoV.

Edit: I didn't mean to be defensive, Bent Tree. I think this is a suject well worth discussing.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
About 90% of my reading these days is for professional reasons. I read and study what are considered the best stories to try to learn from them. I severely deconstruct them.

This is a very good aproach. As you may have noticed I read more quantity than quality. But now that I have a pretty broad base, it might not be a bad idea to hone my scope.

I have only been writing since Feb of this year, so I am still very green. I guess as part of my evolution, I just got brave enought to begin to write in the first and wanted to point out trends I noticed so people would perhaps bypass their fears and begin to sharpen their skills without preconceptions.

There are lessons we all must learn in all aspects of our craft and by exploring all of them, I just feel it will serve to make us better writers.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
hope posting that is all right, Kathleen.

It might be all right, JeanneT, except for your mention that it's in a password protected site. I would prefer that you email Eric Flint and tell him that you've quoted him. Give him the link to this page, so he can see what you did and why, and if he has a problem with such a long quote of his words, we can delete it.

I would also recommend that you add a copyright notice to the quote.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I'll check to be sure that quoting Mr. Flint is all right. I'll also see if I can get the info (I'm not sure of the date of the original post by Mr. Flint because this was re-posted on Baen's after they changed their setup) in order to put up a copyright notice. I certainly don't want to violate someone's copyright and I know he meant that to help writers. The point of the password over there is to keep what goes up on their slush bars from being considered published.

Edit: I actually asked Sam Hidaka who runs the JBU Slush pile. I felt that if I emailed Mr. Flint it might well be buried in heaven knows what pile of email he gets between being a busy writer and editor. Sam is in a position to let me know if I've created a problem. They may well have had this come up before or he can check with Mr. Flint.

2nd Edit: Happily, I got an answer back from my inquiry approving this being posted here. According to Paula Goodlett, Mr. Flint has no problems with this being re-posted and it has been many times. She says that it comes well under any reasonable definition of Fair Use (a loose paraphrase of her comments) besides which Mr. Flint's rather liberal attitude toward copyright issues are well-known. He thinks that anything that educates possible reader about who he is can only benefit his sales. And he does not consider that material copyrighted anyway since he considers that to apply to something that might reasonably be sold.

However, for ANYONE who considers quoting it be sure that it is properly attributed.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thank you, JeanneT, and thanks for posting it.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add my bit about this, do what's right for the story. If it should be in first write it in first. I prefer third, I'm trying to get good at third limited, but if the story needs to be in first I will do it without hesitation.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, after reading through all these posts, I can see that I might be better off keeping my novella in 3rd person. I can see where 1st could very well limit some areas of my story. Thanks to all for the education, and a big thank you to Jeanne T for posting the Eric Flint "lecture". It was very informative.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
I'll add my bit about this, do what's right for the story. If it should be in first write it in first. I prefer third, I'm trying to get good at third limited, but if the story needs to be in first I will do it without hesitation.

This is the best advice of all. Kathleen touched on it also.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The choice of first or third person is not arbitrary. First person stories should be told by an "Everyman" character, not a superhero.

Sherlock Holmes stories were first person, but not from Holmes's POV. They were told from Watson's POV. This is because Holmes is a superhero, Watson is an everyman. The same goes for The Great Gatsby, where Gatsby is the superhero and narrator Nick Carroway is an everyman.

If you don't have any really super characters then you can choose either first or third person. Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow is a great example of a first person thriller. It works because narrator Rusty Sabich is an everyman. Turow could have written Presumed Innocent in third person and it would have worked just as well.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

There is a good deal more to the choice than that, Doc Brown. For instance, in Flint's THE PHILOSOPHICAL STRANGLER, by no means would Ignace be described as an Everyman character. That is only the case when the narrator is not the main character. This is sometimes done, but is hardly the only reason for writing a first person narrative.

It is always possible to write from either, but I think Flint's advice to be sure that if you use first person it is the best and really the only choice for your story is wise.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Every creative non-fiction piece I have published was in first-person. They have all been re-printed, a few have been anthologized, and some have been re-printed 3 times.

First-person person works well when it works. Writing it is easy; figuring out the "when" is the hard part. And, it is most likely easier to publish first-person in creative non-fiction than in fiction. So, although I vigorously defend the use of first-person in creative non-fiction, I am well aware that each genre has its own rules on what is acceptable.

quote:
Well, here are a couple of reasons for not using first person:

2--the lack of suspense, because if the person has lived to tell the tale, then all the life-threatening stuff doesn't come across as very life-threatening ...

I beg to differ. If the author is writing the first-person well, and if the event they are writing was suspenseful at the time, then the suspense they endured at the time is also endured by the reader.

Think about it; how many novels have you read in which the protagonist died, without a significant gain? Were you put off by the fact that you knew (almost beyond a shadow of the doubt) when you started reading that the protagonist would survive?

No, you weren't. You read on anyway, and if the protagonist suffered enough, and persevered and the conclusion met your emotional needs, you read to the very end.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 19, 2008).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
JeanneT, you are right, I meant it more as a guideline. First person is a more tool for the narrator to amplify a heroic; but it can be used in other ways.

mikemunsil, I think there is more to the suspense problem than that. Sometimes a character learns something in a non-action scene that you want to reveal in an action scene. Consider the problem of the classic first person detective novel. It works fine if you want the reader to learn who the killer is at the same moment when the detective does, but what about when you want to have a tense, action-packed climax?

Suddenly it all made sense to me. "Let's get all the suspects together in a locked room tomorrow night," I said. "Then I'll reveal who the killer is!"

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited July 21, 2008).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.