Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fiction art to stimulate your mind

Author Topic: Fiction art to stimulate your mind
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I might try this; take some time to search the Net for some SFF galleries, maybe come up with something that will stirr up creative thinking. The problem is I have very little patience going through all the junk on the Net these days.

Does anyone use online art like this? If they do, could someone please give me some starting points, possibly your own favourite web pages for such an occasion?

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post 
My two favourite SF&F online art galleries are Elfwood (http://www.elfwood.com) and Epilogue (http://www.epilogue.net). The former is a bit hit-and-miss if you're looking for something with star quality (I have a page there - says it all), but it's a good source of inspiration.

Epilogue is amazing. Entry standards for artists looking to post are notoriously stringent, so if you want art with a real 'wow' factor it's an excellent place to start. Looking at Epilogue for too long tends to bring me out in spasms of jealousy.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like looking at space images - hubble space telescope ones are fantastic. I don't know a specific site, but I'm sure if you google hubble you'd find some great stuff.

But I'm more of a Science Fiction gal, so...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a few of my stories have been inspired by someone's artwork for someone else's story. I remember a single page of art in Heavy Metal (remember that, guys?) that set off something that eventually turned into a novel.

I've tried thumbing through some [printed] SF art collections, trying to stimulate the idea part of my brain...but without luck. I guess, with art, it has to strike me spontaneously.

(With art...not with the printed word. Once in a while---not as much lately---I dig out some SF books, thumb through them, pluck my finger down on a random sentence---and bingo! I've got a great title and an idea for a story. (Usually it's a lengthy list with one or two titles I like.))

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.