Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A fascinating article

Author Topic: A fascinating article
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
http://deanwesleysmith.com/index.php/page/2/

His June 1 article on short story writing and selling.

I found his opinion and experience (and this is a man who whether you like his writing or not does sell) with becoming successful fascinating.

He says to actually follow Heinlein's rules. And I got to thinking. What if I had spent all the time I've spent editing already written stories writing new ones instead.

So what do you think?

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say short stories, absolutely. I think I've wasted a lot of time hemming and hawing over short stories, figuring out how to rewrite them, and not doing anything in the process. I think we learn so much just from writing that it's better to just keep writing and moving on.

For books... I can't imagine sending my first draft to an editor. Why? There isn't really a story there. Because of the amount of time and energy I put into a novel, I'd rather put in more time and energy to make it really work and increase the changes it will get picked up than spend that energy on a new novel. Maybe his novel first drafts are much neater, I don't know. He's also talking about a different time, I think--the mid 1980s.

So--who wants to make a bet with me? A short story every week!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited July 30, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Annepin,

I think I'd take you up on that. Just so long as you are comfortable reading my crappy first drafts.

For how long?

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea is not to exchange drafts, simply to submit them to a publication. As for how long... well, as long as we can sustain the effort!

Maybe I'll start a challenge in the writing challenges section. People can check in if they've written and submitted anything that week.

Of course, I guess I'm not entirely sold on his idea, either. I think there is stuff to be gained from getting crits and rewriting.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited July 30, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
EEEP! So we'd write and submit all in the same week? With no workshopping? That sounds terrifying.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is a good Idea. To keep people honest we could cut and paste our email confirmation I guess that wouldn't work for snail mail subs though.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

you can usually get a quick turn on a piece. I have written posted got feedback and submitted a flash or two in three or four days.

I think the writing is the most important. It will help you build confidence in your own editing also.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that awhile back. I set myself a goal of writing one story a week for 12 weeks. I just had to get the story down. No worrying over how good it sounded. I could write garbage as long as it made some sense and had an ending on Mondays.

It got really harried after a while. I managed 8 stories before I burned out. still, those first drafts are what I'm working on polishing now

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

One thing that I have found helpful is really working out plotting before you begin your draft. I began really giving this process a great deal of focus and actually workshopped and brainstormed with others at this level and the resulting stories were much better and also saved me from major revisions which I always put off.

Another thing to consider is creating a process that is both thorough and comfortable to you. It is good to hold yourself to goals and deadlines, But giving yourself unrealistic goals and deadlines can leave you disapointed in yourself unduly.

I have had some sucsess with the story per week thing, but before I started, I had compiled about eight story ideas that I wanted to develop, and created a plotting worksheet for each. I also had a weekly plotting workshop with some reliable and respected peers where we took turns brainstorming each others plot and characters.

Then I wouls spend the next two days drafting and that worked well for me. During longer or more complicated story weeks, I would give myself two weeks and write a flash piece to help me maintain the sense of accomplishement. I could probably write a flash a day if I tried, so I compensated with that.

But it really depends on the individual and how comfortable you are with the process. Also look at the process from different angles to help you approach your writing more methodically.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

You'll notice that even he privately admits to doing a second draft. I think we at least have to check for reasonable correctness. But I'm tired of taking months to finish a single short story that frankly isn't all THAT much better than the early version. I think I may have learned as much as I'm going to learn from that process.

So I'm up for this. I'll sign on for a story a week.

No workshopping. Just writing.

Edit: And to start the process off I just finished and mailed a story to F&SF. He said start at the top. And getting rejections does not equal failure.

I must admit I re-read mine the next day, made some changes and ran it through autocrit and made a few more. But it was very close to what he said--about as close as I'm going to get. LOL

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 30, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 30, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys should join liberty hall! www.libertyhallwriters.org

Weekly flash challenges. There is a critting component to it, but best of all is each Friday there's a new trigger for a NEW flash. And you have 90 minutes to write it (whenever you login to view the trigger, the timer starts.) Runs every week through Sunday night. Monday the stories are all posted. M-Tues the crits are in (short crits, highlights, general impressions, suggestions for what to work on when you have more than 90 mins to write, etc.) Voting is Weds-Thurs. If there are large numbers (>9 I believe) there are two groups and then there's a secondary voting for "best of the best" (one wins best flash in each group, then they're pitted against each other for best of best.)

Fantastic way to jump-start some short story writing. It's dizzying, but phenomenal. I don't participate as often as I'd like (the weekend schedule doesn't work as well for me, at least not right now) but for a while I was entering at least 2x/month and I have some incredible stories that have resulted. Some better than others, and a few pieces of complete drivel, but hey - I wrote!

Anyway, just a thought. The 90 min structure forces your internal editor to the curb. It's refreshing and terrifying, love it.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Is anyone else working on their story for next week? I'm looking to complete mine on Wednesday, give it an edit Thursday and mail it Friday.

Annepin, are you still going to start a thread?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited August 02, 2008).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
In my more prolific days, at least in my best years, I probably wrote about a short story a week. But somewhere along the way the energy to do so drained off---probably associated with having to go out and make a living doing something that wasn't writing.

I do more picking at my stories now than I did then. For about a year or so (roughly that same year), I wrote rough draft as final copy and sent that out. (This year was also in the years before word processors came along.) I changed my mind about it when I got the stories back and saw all the mistakes I'd made just in grammar and spelling...

Now I'm a five-hundred-words-a-day writer. (I picked this up from Fred Pohl, who came up with a four-pages-a-day rule, but I didn't have the energy for that---my stuff probably spills out over two pages.) When I can keep it up---most of the time---the numbers add up enough to satisfy me.

(I do hope to reach the end of one story next week, unless things derail.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.