Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Let’s get Ready for Market

Author Topic: Let’s get Ready for Market
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Zac chimed in my ear.

"Go, Zac," I said. He's my artificial intelligence enhancer.

"You asked me to remind you when it's almost August, time for the Ready for Market group."

"I know," I said. "I've been wondering--do you think 'Better than Heinlein' is right? Someone expressed a dislike for Bob's work."

"Bob? You're on first name terms?"

“Well, no ... you don't think mentioning him in a familiar way lends authority to the idea?"

"No," said Zac. "It makes you sound pompous. Call him Heinlein like everyone else. To your question, yes, keep it as 'Better than Heinlein' otherwise you'll trigger an interminable debate about who was the best author ever--and as soon as someone mentions JKR or Dan Brown there'll be a flame war and She Who Must Be Obeyed will lock the thread and everyone will go home miffed. We're trying to be professional writers here, so we all ought to be able to see he was a great writer even if his work isn't to our taste, a writer of quality to which we can aspire."

"So, um, we just explain that the idea is to grade a story as 'Better than Heinlein' if it's better than your favourite author, better than the best published author you know in the story's genre. Okay?"

"Yes," said Zac, reassuringly and adverbially.

"Do you think we have the right set of characteristics to grade stories by?"

"Yes," said Zac, beginning to sound a little testy. It always amazes me how an implanted imaginary machine can sound like it has emotions. "If they were wildly wrong, someone would have said by now. Just start the darned process. Post something in the 'Hatrack Challenges' area and figure the rest out as you go. After all, that's what you usually do!"

"Okay," I said.

#

It's time to start, people.

The detailed rules follow below in this post (and if anyone wants changes to them, please post in this thread or let me know by e-mail). But here's the short version:

Take a story you've already workshopped, or at least polished, a story you're ready to shop around the markets. Post its first thirteen (together with title, word count and genre) in the thread I've started in the Hatrack Challenge area for the 'Ready for Market' group and follow the instructions there for reading and grading.

Enjoy!
Pat

Ready for Market Group - Objective
==================================

To help each other get stories ready for market, submitted and published.

We all have trouble second-guessing what editors want, and it's hard to know when a story is really ready for market--or as ready as we can make it.

In an article at Baen, Mike Resnick observed that as new writers we have to be, not just good enough, but better than established writers if an editor is to make space for our work.

The "Ready for Market" group uses competition (F&SF is a competitive market, despite us being a friendly lot) to help us judge our stories against others, and a grading scheme which asks, "Is the story better than Heinlein?" The grading assesses the story overall, and important characteristics like plot, character development and so on.

Without demanding a lot of critting work on the part of readers (the story should probably have been workshopped already, so in the author's mind it's pretty much ready for market), this scheme should help us to understand which aspects of a story are okay, and which need work.

The group is open to anyone at Hatrack. Stories should probably have been workshopped and certainly ready to submit to market.
Stories must be complete. No WIPs. This is not a way of getting others to help with the writing of a story that has not yet made it past first draft. Grammar and spelling should be good.
Stories that have been rejected by editors will be welcome. After grading, the writer may choose to share the (non-form) rejection letter so we can discuss how it compares with our gradings.

How it Works
============

The scheme is designed to demand a minimum of effort both from readers of stories ("graders") and administration.
There's almost no need for written crits (just a few one liners), unless you want to do them.

The only commitment you make to the group is this:

You don't have to submit a story every month. But in the month you submit a story you commit to:
- grade all first 13s according to the 3/2/1 scheme below;
- select at least one story to read fully, and grade the story overall and on ten characteristics according to the scheme below.

That's the minimum. In line with Hatrack's ideas on the value of critiqueing, the more you do the more you learn, and the more kudos you earn. Grading more stories, or critting some, will be well received and hopefully returned.

Everyone will get their first 13s graded, and some (hopefully all) will get one or more gradings of the full story. For novels, we’ll read and grade partials—the first twenty pages and the synopsis—so that novels get about the same chance as shorts.

Note that there is no guarantee that each story will get a manuscript request, and thus get graded. No request means its first 13 wasn't enough to attract interest from what we assume is a representative audience and that perhaps therefore some work is needed to make it stand out in the market-place.

Grading Scheme
==============

The scheme aspires to "better than Heinlein" or your favourite author of today, because our theory is that we have to be competitive with published authors to break into that first market.

For first 13s:
--------------

3 - would read on enthusiastically
2 - would read on with caution
1 - would not read on

Each grade includes a one liner (one sentence or bullet point) with the reason for the grade.

For stories:
-----------

Story overall:

3 - Better than Heinlein (or, better than my favourite published author of today, or better than the best published author in the story’s genre--name her if you like)
2 - As good as the best authors published today (but not quite good enough)
1 - Okay but not as good as published authors

Story characteristics: (3 = better than Heinlein, 2 = average, 1 = weak)

1 character development
2 plot
3 satisfactory ending
4 milieu
5 willing suspension of disbelief
6 unique/never been done before
7 writing style
8 dialogue
9 action
10 understandable ("I get it")

Thus, if a story is requested as a result of its first 13, it gets a 1/2/3 score on its overall readiness for market, and on each of 10 attributes. If you want to include a short crit of the story, that's great but not mandatory.

When
====

There's a monthly cycle.
On the 1st day of the month everyone is invited to post first 13s.

We give ourselves one week to do that. This is not time for writing since the stories should be ready for market, but just recognising that we can't all get to things immediately.

Entries close on the 7th day of the month.

By 14th day of the month we
- grade first 13s
- request at least one manuscript (via an e-mail to the writer) of the story we'd like to read and grade (probably one whose first 13 we scored highly)

By the last day of the month we
- grade at least one manuscript
- grade more stories if we want to (e.g. those that have great first 13s in addition to our favourites)

The "end of the day" is the end of the day in your local time. There's no need to be more precise than that.

Where
=====

On the first of the month I will create a fresh Topic in Writing Challenges for "Ready for Market" entries for "this" month.

Contributors post their first 13s only. You include three lines at the beginning of your first 13 giving title, genre and word count:

quote:

Title: My Story that's Ready for Market
Genre: SF
Word count: 5000 words
First 13 lines of your story.

On the 7th day I'll create an "entries closed and here's a template for first 13 grading" post and then we use the same Topic to post gradings of first 13s.

On the 14th day I'll create a post that says, "first 13 grading closed and here's a template for full story grading" and then we use the same Topic to post gradings of stories we've fully read, and to discuss them. If discussions get long on a particular issue or story we move the discussion to a new topic in the appropriate area of Hatrack.

On the last day of the month I'll create a "gradings closed" post. The Topic remains open for further discussion, which could include sharing of non-form rejection letters for stories we graded this month, in order to better understand what gets stories rejected and how to improve our ability to grade stories--to second guess editors and market readiness.

On the first day of the following month the cycle restarts with a fresh topic.

Rules & Admin
=============

Normal Hatrack rules apply to story content and critque etiquette.

Note that only first 13s are in the public topics. Manuscripts are shared via e-mail, as usual.

If you submit one story, you must grade at least one full story. For novels, use partial (first 20 pages and synopsis) to read and grade, to make the amount of work equivalent to a short.

If for any reason the month's submissions include nothing you can read in all conscience (you only do Fantasy and this month it's all SF) you are at liberty to withdraw your submission and try again next month, because this month's contributors aren't your target audience. Or, do your best with the story you most sympathise with; you're a budding writer and your opinion will likely be valuable even if this is not your genre.

Since all the reporting is in public there should not be much admin work. However, I will monitor traffic to assure everyone grades first 13s and stories according to the rules. If someone appears to be not playing nice, I'll write a polite post in the month's thread reminding them of the rules.

If it takes off, and if there's too much work, I'll offer free ansibles in exchange for assistance.

If it takes off and we want to modify the rules, I'll offer to facilitate discussion towards consensus on revised rules.

There was a useful discussion of the concept at http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/004933.html.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha. I'm taking part and doing the story a week in the mail no matter what thing. Am I ever a glutton for punishment or what? *grin*
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking part in the 'Are you better than Bob' exersize as well.
One question; should we put the actual title on our 13 lines? I see that IB has warned a few that putting the title of your WotF submission could in theory disqualify your entry. My entry will not be a WotF entry but I can imagine a few may be.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't want to put the title, I suggest calling it 'Untitled' or some such ... otherwise we'll think the story is called "Word Count 4200" ;-)

Thanks for the reminder on this, snapper.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Ah. Thanks for the reminder. *runs to change title before some sneaky WotF person shows up*
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's almost no need for written crits (just a few one liners), unless you want to do them.

What if we feel the urge to crit some of the entries first 13s. Do we? Can we? And if so when? and where do we put them?

I wouldn't want to post my crits on someones piece and hinder their chances at having their story picked for a full crit by the group.

In otherwords if I feel I have something that might help the author, regardless of if I choose their piece overall, what do I do?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I don't think a crit would necessarily mean not being picked. The author could have missed something (easy to do) and it still could look interesting to read.

But I think he was going to start a separate thread for crits and comments? Or no? I know the big question is: would you keep reading>

WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the issue with the title and WotF? I couldn't find anything in the rules about this.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

There is no rule about it. But since it is anonymous, people worry that something might make the story recognizable to a judge and violate the anonymity. I don't know what they would do if that happened. It isn't covered in any of the rules. I rather doubt a story would be disqualified in the unlikely event it happened though.

There is certainly no rule against workshopping stories eithr online or locally. I imagine that KD appreciates reading better stories.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 31, 2008).]

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a post from Chris Owen on Jan 10th in the WOTF 2008 Q2
thread in the hatrack group section.

quote:
It might not be a good idea to give the real titles in a public forum. If you get to the finalists round, you could disqualify yourself.
See where this link says NOTE: http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/2007/11/4th-quarter-writers-of-future-finalists.html

Working titles are probably okay, as long as they are sufficiently disguised.

The risk is very low, but why take any risk at all? The competition is thick enough.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh. I shoulda thunk of that. Thanks.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Good link. I hadn't seen where Joni posted that. However, that still assumes that the judges will be hanging around such sites, which I find unlikely. But not posting the name certainly doesn't hurt.

But remember, this is technically not a public forum. Passworded forums are not public. Nor is Baen for that matter.

Still not posting the title can hardly hurt (although I like to get reactions to my titles).

Honestly, I just want to know how I did in the 3rd quarter. My nerves probably indicates that I think the story was good. But that's my opinion (well, and that of a couple of other people I won't mention).

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 31, 2008).]

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think it's a stretch. Better safe than sorry but for people (like me) who have already disclosed part of our title... well, we're not up the river either.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Zac chimed.

"Hey TS. Wake up! Tiergan wants to know, and I quote:

quote:

What if we feel the urge to crit some of the entries first 13s. Do we? Can we? And if so when? and where do we put them?

"So what shall I tell him?"

"Everyone loves crits," I explained to Zac. He's not a writer yet, so he doesn't understand these things. "We wanna encourage them. But if we post crits in the thread with the first 13s it's gonna get awful cluttered and hard to follow, don't ya think?"

"Yeah. So," said Zac, switching to his smug voice, "artificial intelligence enhancement works, right buddy?"

"Don't call me buddy. It's as bad as calling RAH 'Bob'. Here's the deal: I'll post a special post at the end of the seven days inviting everyone to score the first 13s and reminding them of the scoring scheme. Each person gets one post with their scores for all the first 13s posted. In that post they're also more than welcome to include a short crit of one or more of the first 13s. Crits don't stop people offering to read in the Fragements and Feedback threads, so they should not do so here either.

"That said," I said, "if they really want to offer a crit, it would be okay to just e-mail it to the author, right?"

"Sounds good to me," said Zac. "Um ... shall I post that for you?"

"I think one of us already did," I said, and went back to sleep.

Cheers,
Pat

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Bump.

Six entries so far.

Entries close August 7th.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is this forum password protected, but it *can* be anonymous. Even if a judge knows that a Hatracker with screen name Doc Brown wrote a story, they don't know my real identity unless I give it away.

I do, in fact, let Hatrackers see my real identity. But I could give a false identity and no one would know the difference.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Bump.

Still just six entries. I thought from the earlier discussions there'd be a few more. Is there something wrong with the rules, timing? Too much other stuff going on?

I'll close entries on Friday and post instructions for grading.

Cheers,
Pat

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"So how's it going?" said Zac's voice in my ear.

"Don't do that, it makes me jump. Chime to get my attention. If you must."

"Okay, sorry." Zac chimed.

"Yes Zac?"

"You heard. Look back up the post about four lines."

"We're doing okay," I said. "We have some good stories which have clearly been workshopped. Some might actually be ready for market after a final polich."

"Polich?"

"It's a typo, idiot. Some might actually be ready for market after a final polish."

"And you'd know--how?"

I like Zac to be my critical thinker but there are times when he's rather deflating.

"Well I don't know, of course, but one or two look good to me."

"So how's it going then?"

"We've had a few gradings, and a promise or two. I'm hoping everyone's remembering to get it done by the end of August."

"I'm sure they are," said Zac.

"And you'd know--how?"

"Touche. Will you do it again next month?"

"If there are six or more takers, yes," I said.

"What should the takers for September do?"

Thinking ahead, Zac is. I'm glad one of us can do that.

"Read the rules at the top of this thread. Post in this thread to say 'I'm in for September' and make sure they have a story ready. Then, if there are six or more takers, I'll start a fresh thread in Challenges called 'Ready for Market--September' and we'll start the cycle anew."

"Do you have a story ready for it?" asked Zac.

"Hmm," I said, and went back to my desk ...

Cheers,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited August 23, 2008).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.