Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Word count on flash fic...

Author Topic: Word count on flash fic...
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it include the title?

Maybe it's a silly question, sometimes those 2-5 words in the title make all the difference!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always assumed title, genre, author and word count not included. Certainly, that's how we'll count the 2000 words for the Sudden Fic contest.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
In my understanding, the title is NOT included, though there are those who differ in that opinion (it's a real bone of contention with drabbles).

Genre, word-count, bio, cover letter, etc are DEFINITELY not part of word-count. The word-count is about what the magazine will publish.

If I run wordcount on a final-format submission MS, with name and address and so forth, I select from the first word of story text to the last. That means I DO include # scene breaks, if included, and also mini-chapter titles, if included. That's because they take up room and space, which is what a market is interested in.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.