Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Cover Letter Formatting

Author Topic: Cover Letter Formatting
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen plenty of posts on what to say in a cover letter; what I'm wondering is how to format the letter. Do editors generally prefer one format (for example, modified block) over others? Do you know any editors who will reject an unpublished author's manuscript because the return address is below the signature instead of its traditional place above the letter body?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just format as standard business letter. I doubt they would reject a story based on small formatting choices. Obviously, ridiculous ones will make a difference.

I think a good rule of thumb is to make it as clear and easy as you can for the person you're soliciting.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you avoid adding perfume and glitter you'll be fine.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
annepin, "standard business letter" is different from company to company. I opened and directed mail in my previous job and picked up pet peeves regarding letter formatting. I can't stand "Dear [so-and-so]" from people I don't know and the return address next to the receiver's address, for example.

I thought I may be more particular than the standard editor, but I wanted to make sure. You know what people say about those who AssUMe...

Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. <shrug>
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Having consulted Dean Wesley Smith and Sam Hidaka on the subject, here is what your cover letter should look like:

http://home.comcast.net/~brad.r.torgersen/cl_example2.pdf

No extraneous info. Make it lean as a starving whippet.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
One, or possibly both of these sites, which AWSullivan turned me on to, has a thread on formatting a cover and a query letter. There are a number of useful discussions on each one, regardless. But the formatting thread contained a link to examples you could look at. Good luck!

http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/
http://webnews.sff.net

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 20, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.