Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Weird line.

Author Topic: Weird line.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to say:

"The noise grew louder. Whoever it was was dangerous."

But I hate seeing "was was" like that. Should it be "Whoever it was, was dangerous" ?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever it (may be|could be|could have been) was dangerous.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
The noise grew louder and more menacing.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
The comma following the first was is grammatically appropriate according to Chicago. Rule 6.45: Homonym, applies for ease of reading when two spellled-alike words that have different uses if a slight pause is intended.

The Chicago example closest to the exemplar is: "Whatever is, is good."

Because it wasn't asked, and there's insufficient context to assess, I won't get into the relative/objective pronoun issue, nor the prounoun-subject agreement. Whomever was coming . . . Whatever it was . . .

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post 
How about 'Whoever it was, they were dangerous'?
Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with "was-comma-was" as grammatically correct...but the whole of it we see seems awkward...a noise, followed by identification of the source as "who," having identity and intelligence, rather than "what."

Perhaps rephrased as a question, and edited down a little: "The noise grew louder. Was it dangerous?"

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
You can usually change things about without disturbing meaning. Two things happen here:

1st: The noise increases in volume--presumably this triggers the thoughts that follow, so this sentence needs to remain first.

2nd: The realisation the unnamed/unknown person was dangerous. The clauses in the sentence don't have to follow any particular order to retain meaning.

The noise grew louder. They were dangerous, whoever it was.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 23, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammatically, you should structure the sentence either singular, singular or plural, plural. "Whoever" can be either singular or plural, but you can't change this mid-sentence. "It" cannot be "they." I'm sure extrinsic can elaborate on this more fluently than I can, but nevertheless, it's true. Therefore, what "was" must remain "was" unless you change your wording, which would be my choice. May I suggest:

"The noise grew louder. Whoever this was, he or she was dangerous."

or

"The noise grew louder. Whatever it was, it was dangerous."

On a side note, I find it interesting that it seems to be the second half of the sentence in the original version that determines it is "whoever" instead of "whomever".

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited September 23, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

In this case the source of the noise has already been identified as a person. And I believe "whomever" is more correct. As for knowing the comma is necessary, thanks a million. Ultimately, though, I decided to rephrase it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
"Whomever" is for when the pronoun represents a noun that is the object of the sentence. "Was" does not take an object when it's the only verb in the sentence. So "whoever" is correct.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Thanks.
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
how about "These pretzels(!) are making me, THIRSTY!!!"
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

No, no, you gotta do it like this. "These PRETZELS are makin' me THIRSTY!"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.