Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Using terms/titles from famous authors

Author Topic: Using terms/titles from famous authors
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question, what do you think of using a term used by a famous author? Namely psoitronic brain (Asimov), or mentat (Herbert).

First you legal opinion(it isnt trademarked, can it be done?), then a personal opinion(Are you put off by recognising another authors work being used?). Refering to just the use of the term(s), not the world/universe that the author created.

I'm sorry, if this subject has been visited already on this site, and you are sick to the teeth of it.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the error in the topic header. I would correct it if I knew how.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Psoitronic brain has been used in Star Trek to describe Data's make-up. There has been other small contributions that made it's way into the Englush language. Talespinner has pointed out ansible, for example. I assume if it is in the dictionary or lexicon of speech, it's open game.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the terms "genetic engineering" and "space alien" come from Jack Williamson, as do several other terms familiar-to-SF-readers that are less well known to the laymen, like "matter transmission." But as none were trademarked or copyrighted, I suppose it's fair use. (I've got a book with a list of Williamson's contributions to our manner of speech, but, alas! my files are disorganized at the moment and I can't locate it right now to post a few more of 'em here.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry for the error in the topic header. I would correct it if I knew how.

I'll take care of it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
The word "ansible" was first used by Ursula K. Le Guin before it was borrowed by OSC, Elizabeth Moon and others.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

I was hoping to also get your opinions. Case in point: Whether seeing 'ansible' used by OSC bothered you JamieFord. Or to see, Snapper, if you objected when Star Trek used the word, or when countless other stories borrowed The Laws of Robotics?

I ask you because, well for one, you are sci-fi readers and represent the audience trying to be reached, but also because I have such mixed emotions on the suject and haven't quite sorted it out for myself.

When I see ansible used by another author, whether I react 'Hey! That was stolen from Le Guin!' or 'That was a nice compliment to a great author.', is pretty much a coin toss.

Edited to add: My thanks to all who responded. Thank you for your time. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because I am grateful you all took time to respond.

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited October 05, 2008).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many fictional inventions and creatures throughout literary history, that have had their origins with a specific story and have become commonplace terms. You have already mentioned positronic brains and ansibles. May I suggest the following terms: androids, hyperspace, warp drive, transporters, halflings, and the word "elves" (an alternate derivative of the word "elf"). I know there are many others, of which I do not have time to research.

The use of generic terms such as these do not bother me, nor does it seem to bother the originators or copyrighters, some, if not all, of which are dead.

What becomes problematic is when someone uses a specific name attached to these terms. If a story referenced the Milleneum Falcon, Vulcans, or Hobbits, this would be a copyright violation.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Consider "robot" as another example.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Thanks all!
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure Hobbits are copyrighted. Plus the term has fallen into standard usage, meaning a short (possibly hairy) person. Much like 'coke', which is used a lot to refer to any brand of cola, even though it's specifically a reference to Coca-Cola and the cocaine it used to contain. Or 'hoover' from 'Hoover'.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
This is where I would be more comfortable using the term "Halfling" indicating what you describe. Being that "Hobbit" is part of the title as well as indicating a resident of Hobbiton, a town within the Shire, and clearly a specific place within a specific fictional world.

I understand your argument about the "coke", but products can be mentioned as a product of the culture. I'm not sure how long something has to be in print to be considered public domain, but even if Tolkien is now such, my acceptance would depend on how a Hobbit was used in the story.

A graphic novel, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was made into a so-so movie a few years ago, used many famous heroes from literary fiction. It worked for me (not so much the movie). In the case of The Hobbit, it is a fictional world and characters would have to be able to interact within its realms. They did this with The Wizard of Oz fairly successfully. However, I do hold a certain reverence for Tolkien, and I'm not sure how I'd like it (it's probably already been done, and I stand in ignorence).

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited October 08, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.