Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Coincidence?

Author Topic: Coincidence?
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone besides me struck by how much Ender on the home page here looks like OSC - or vice versa?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not notice that... but at just the right angle I can see what you mean. Though, honestly, I don't imagine Ender looking like that at all, and I think his outfit looks ridiculous. Like he's dressing up as the Master Chief for Halloween, or something.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Master chief. Good point.

Did you notice the scorpion tank(From Halo, Not much of a tank actually, its more of an SP)featured on the cover of 'Empire'(OSC).

Anyone know why OSC's cover artist has decided to rip Halo images?

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't imagine Ender like that either. As a matter of fact, the technique the artist used makes Ender look older and plastic. Marvel has much better artist's (or could hire on better freelance artists, like Dale Keown) than that.

As far as the cover of Empire goes, it's not "OSC's artist", it's an artist ToR hired. Besides, That may just be similar to the scorpion tank.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
No. It is definitely the Scorpion. Any differences would take a microscope to spot, because I haven't spotted them.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Could also be stock artwork (for the EMPIRE cover). Publishers tend to do that when they can get away with it because it's cheaper than paying an artist to come up with something specific for a book cover.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

It is an ineresting cover. I have found that there are two versions, one had a different tank.

Same cover except in place of the Stock-Scorpion look-alike, there is a tank that resembles a Merkava with a dome atop its turret. Why would they change the cover. The other tank was perfectly suitable. Anybody know?

Things like that intrigue me.

debhoag
Member # 5493

On the back cover of the JD Robb series, the picture of the writer (Nora Roberts) has been transmuted to look more and more like the main character of the novel of the novels over time. It seems like a bit of marketing - identify the author as the product, and I wonder if that's a trend in publishing/promotion.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems like a bit of marketing - identify the author as the product, and I wonder if that's a trend in publishing/promotion

Hm... I wonder... if I wrote just about werewolves would they make me look, well, hirsute?

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited October 15, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I just want them to airbrush my thighs
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did you notice the scorpion tank(From Halo, Not much of a tank actually, its more of an SP)featured on the cover of 'Empire'(OSC).

Wow, you're completely 100% right. There is no doubt that's the Scorpion. So the question is, did Microsoft steal the image from another source when they made the Scorpion?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender looks much like I imagined him. Anyway, artists need something for their inspiration. I assume when the author does not provide a description clearly different than himself, an artist will incorporate the author's image into the character's. Matter of convenience, right?

quote:
Hm... I wonder... if I wrote just about werewolves would they make me look, well, hirsute?

Kitty Norville (fictional werewolf) looks like her author, Carrie Vaughn. I'm guessing Vaughn poses for the Kitty covers.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I met Carrie Vaughn tonight. She insists the artist of her book covers had not seen her before drawing Kitty, and he uses a Californian actress as his model. She admitted, however, that readers don't believe she doesn't model for her own books.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that Annepin I saw in the hairsuit?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.