Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Anybody Know LA?

Author Topic: Anybody Know LA?
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a character driving to LA. She is coming in via I15, and I need to know a spot where she could stop and see the city from higher up. A side road would be cool, if you know of one, or a lookout point type place that she might drive to coming in from the north and east. If you have any suggestions, would you let me know?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, you'd have to go quite a ways to the west from I-15 before you can look out over LA.

Haven't driven into LA in several years, though, but I don't recall any kind of overlook along I-15.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
If you come south on I-15 from Barrow, you'll get a decent view of San Bernadino. It is quite a long downhill ride from Cajon Summit and if you do it at night the lights of a city just sort of spring up. That is still a long way from LA though (metropolitian Los Angles is one of the largest in North America).
If you're looking for a view of Downtown LA, along I-210 around Azusa (milemarker 40ish) there is a hill. Once you crest it you can see the tall buildings quite clearly from 15 or 20 miles. I think thats the scen you are after.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both, and thank you Snapper especially. I can google earth it, but first I had to have a name to google.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
What about LA's famous haze?

Just curious,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
The haze can be there, a mountain two miles away could be obscured. It isn't always that way though. In fact it's lot clearer than a couple of decades ago. If the wind blows all the smog gets pushed out. LA can be very clear about 50% of the time
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Very much depends what you classify as "LA".

You could block the I15 (overturn a truck or something - hardly unfeasible on that road) and decide to come in along the 2 instead, through the San Gabriels towards La Canada Flintridge - there are pullouts there that give great views down towards Glendale and closer to the "heart" of LA.

The best overlook points that I knew of for "real" LA, though, are Griffith Park and some of the loops of Mulholland.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Google Streetview can be helpful as well.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.