Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Stranger Than Fiction

Author Topic: Stranger Than Fiction
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard many people say, on this forum and others, that they develop a plot by talking to their characters. For those of you who do so, you might want to see the movie Stranger Than Fiction. I saw it on cable this weekend, and really liked it. I despise pretty much every other movie that Will Ferrell has done, but this one is not like his usual at all.

And I thought it was a nice touch for a writer with writer's block to have blank white walls with no decoration.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Symphonyofnames
Member # 8283

- posted      Profile for Symphonyofnames   Email Symphonyofnames         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a good flick; not a Will Ferrel movie, but a movie with Will Ferrel in it. A good change for him.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE that movie!!!
Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
A local library played this movie to start off this year's NaNoWriMo. I thought it a good choice. My favorite scene is when the author asks at the hospital where the dead people are, because it shows how absorbed she is in her own goals.

Edited to delete superfluous information.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited November 20, 2008).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
That movie is really amazing on many levels, I particularly admired what the writer did with the end (which I will not spoil) - endings are something I always have trouble with and I liked how the writer handled it.

Will Ferrel is a really gifted actor. Most of the time he uses his gifts for silly business, which isn't so bad when you think of how many action/horror/thrillers there are out there - nice counterpoint. This isn't his usual fare, but I think it shows what a great actor he is.

And Maggie Gyllenhaal is fantastic.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like how the Karen Eifel had the inspiration for the ending too. For those that don't know she spends most of the movie trying to figure out how to end her current novel. That's all I'll say. The how she does it in the movie is a good answer to "where DID you ever get that idea??"

All three of them - Emma Thomas, Will Farrell and Dustin Hoffman were brilliant in it.

A must see for writers.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pointer.

Marc Forster went on to direct Quantum of Solace which, I thought, had more subtlety of characterization than one might expect of a Bond movie. (Not much, but more.)

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.