Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Houghton puts freeze on acquisitions

Author Topic: Houghton puts freeze on acquisitions
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, one of the largest publishing houses has told its editors to stop buying new books for the moment.

via publishers weekly

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
You just knew this was going to happen.

The publishing world is not immune to what's going on in the country right now.

It's a baaaaaaaaaaad time to try to break in.

=^(

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny that you posted this now, because I was going to start a thread today asking if with this world wide recession it was worth putting a lot of time, effort and money into submitting to agents and publishers right now.

I'm in the UK, and things are pretty bad here. I don't want to sub now, and get rejections from agents because publishing houses aren't buying new books because of it.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited November 26, 2008).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, now seems to be a good time to keep that day job, keep your head down, and write write write. Of course, there's going to be a flood of new material when (cross fingers) this is "over".
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fox
Member # 3871

- posted      Profile for Fox   Email Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I think short fiction and online publications will be largely unaffected.

I kinda figured something like this would happen soon once I noticed the prices in the bookstore skyrocketing.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.