Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » F&SF Goes Bimonthly

Author Topic: F&SF Goes Bimonthly
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.locusmag.com/News/2009/01/f-goes-bimonthly.html

I suppose this means even less of a chance at pro publication for us wannabes...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw this last night. Tis a sign of the times, I'm afraid.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. I bet they could raise the numbers if they'd just start trying to please their audience instead of themselves. There are lots of people who still read sf, just not the magazines. An untapped source of income.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they say the "Star Trek" audience spilled over a little onto the magazines...but, near as I could tell, the "Star Wars" audience, or any audience for all the SF-y or fantasy-y stuff since, hasn't. "Harry Potter" readers aren't flocking to the magazines.

I'm personally discouraged. I was going to submit my latest when I was finished. It weighs in at twenty thousand words but I was hoping to get it down to fifteen thou before sending it out. I know I didn't have much of a chance before...but, now, I have even less of a chance.

Funny, though...I got the new (February 2009) issue the other day, and there's a lengthy discussion about publishing novellas next to a "classic reprint" of a novella. (Advance warning?) I like reading things in the novella-or-short-novel range---I enjoy and used to collect the old Ace Doubles---but there just doesn't seem to be a market for that length these days, unless one of the magazines bites the bullet and publishes one.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
What are we to do!? (Okay, breathe, don't panic. There are plenty other mags out there, and it's still not hopeless. *swipes brow*) So how does one start up one's own magazine already? Not that I could pay writers a bloody red cent, but geez.
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
To start your own magazine, find a printer to handle it at a low price, and offer it to book and magazine stores. Hope it sells, and keep publishing, expanding your magazines to other venues, mailing it to national distributers. Get advertizing in it will help with the costs. Advertizing in places people visit will also help in distribution.

There are a lot of local papers being published that, under the right conditions, could become major papers.

Good luck on the project if you try it.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

That's just it---there aren't any other professional SF print magazines out there. Just Asimov's, Analog, and F & SF. The last-named goes bimonthly...the other two change their size and reduce their content. There's less and less of an opportunity for those of us who want to break into print to do so.

There may be others that come and go on the stands. I see Realms of Fantasy regularly---but they publish fantasy, not SF, far as I can tell. Weird Tales is usually around somewhere, too---and I'd classify them as semi-pro publishing. Other semi-pro jobs pop up here and there.

(Anybody know of a pro print mag I haven't mentioned? I'd love to know of another. I don't have enough places to submit things right now.)

steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
The issues of F&SF are going to be 256 pages now. I think the monthly issues were 160ish? So they'll have to cut back on number of stories, but they won't need to cut it in half.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I hate to say it, there may be a bright spot in the disappearance of the print mags, though. As they go away and become less relevant, it will only bring more and more attention to the on-line venues, which seem much more open to new talent, and much more numerous. For some proof of that, consider the Pro market list on SFWA. More and more of them are on-line only venues now.

So maybe this is only a transition from one media type to another, and in the long run, for the better. At least I can hope that's the case.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a newspaper, and magazines are going through the same problems affecting the publishing industry all over. Prices to do business are at all time highs; cost of paper, printing, labor--and advertising revenue is down. Magazines going to bi-monthly schedules don't do it because they don't care; they do it because it is a last-ditch cost cutting effort to keep from going belly up. Online publications certainly take a big bite out of print publication sales, making print survival uncertain. It's forcing us to better define our niche, get more creative with our content, develop new streams of ad revenue, expand our outlook. There's good and bad on both sides of the equation.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back I subcontracted for a small town tabloid-sized weekly news digest. Part-time columnist, part-time Web site administrator.

Before they engaged me for the Web site, the tabloid had a circulation of 1200. Afterward, it went to 1700, by and large due to the online version. Increases came from readers who found features in the online version that piqued their interest then sought out hard copies for posterity's sake.

Advertising revenues increased $3 for each dollar increase in costs. Not for increased printing costs, just for paying me and site hosting services. The revenues went up because advertisers were attracted by more exposure for the same cost.

The tabloid's printer had a minimum print run of 2,000 copies. So there was no change in printing costs, or hard copy layout or revenue stream expenses. Less recycling, though. The newspaper was free, no mailing, just hand delivered to strategic newstands. The couple that ran it made a modest living doing it, but sought other pastures after about a decade of running it, but only a year after I started the online version. C'est la vie.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited January 09, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My local newspaper just got about an inch shorter on the side, too.
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

In my opinion, this is not directly comparable to newspapers. I have very specific reasons for not subscribing to newspapers. Why would i pay money for something when I go to CNN.com (or whatever site) and see my news for free, and updated with the latest information to the minute? Also I'd feel bad for wasting all that paper when I only read a portion of the paper anyway.

On the other hand, I subscribe to 1 or 2 print short story mags, and don't regret it. I can always go back to re-read them, so they don't lose value immediately like a newspaper, and I can't find the same stories on a free website. Different stories, certainly, but I subscribe to the ones I do because I trust the editor of those pubs to make good decisions about what to purchase. I'm not sure what I'll do when my bookshelves get too full of them, but I could always give them to goodwill for others to enjoy or give them to friends to read or something.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
F&Sf do say that "We'll lose a little more than 10% of our content this year" because the bimonthly issues will be larger than the montly ones. So it's not like they're halving their output.

If all the major print mags were to do the same thing, the overall market for stories might reduce by say 10% or 15%. Given that we have a 0.1% probability of getting published in one of them, it hardly reduces our chances of getting into print by anything significant--and makes the kudos of achieving publication even more.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A local newspaper is an important part of a local community...just as the SF mags are important parts of the SF community. The loss, or reduction, of either, would be devastating.

And I've heard a lot of bitter words from people about the newspaper-shrinking---uncomfortable rearranging of important features (the TV section is now just about useless, for example). This kind of thing is a good way to drive readers away, not keep them, no matter how much is saved. (Also more than fifty people lost their jobs at the paper, too.)

Going to a website might lead you to your news, news you want to see...but you might miss out on news you should see, news you might need to see. And serendipitous discovery is also important to the creative process...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
As a newspaper copy editor for 10 years, I've been reading with quite a lot of interest what people have to say about that industry. Yes, you can go to cnn.com. You'll know all about what's going on in Zimbabwe, if you're interested enough to click on the link, but won't have a clue what your city council voted on last night. Which topic do you think affects you more? OK, then go to your local newspaper's website, right?

Thing is, newspapers in general haven't figure out yet how to make the online edition profitable. The only success story I'm aware of is the Los Angeles Times, which recently announced it can now pay for its entire newsroom operation with online revenue. Most papers are losing money hand over fist because people aren't subscribing and are getting their news online for free. My paper, which is a major city daily, is hemorrhaging money and I fear for my continued employment (so, yeah, I have a personal interest in this).

Here's what will happen with fewer newspaper subscribers. All that free online news is going to disappear. Already newspapers are firing workers by the hundreds and some major ones are shutting down. The Rocky Mountain News in Denver is up for sale and likely will stop publication if it finds no buyer in the next two weeks. A paper in Seattle announced yesterday it, too, is up for sale. I think there might be a major one in Florida in the same boat -- the Miami Herald, I think. No subscriptions = less revenue = fewer newspapers of lower quality.

Now is the same thing going to happen to F&SF, with more readers going online for their short-story fix? (See I'm trying to pull my rant back to topic.) In a way. As readers, we're going to see fewer stories over the long run. As writers, we're going to have an even smaller miniscule chance of getting our work published.

Yes, I can get my news and short stories online. I prefer to subscribe and support the publications I like so they don't disappear entirely.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Altruistic motives aside, what do readers want? Convenient access. In hardcopy, it's persitence of the medium that readers want, aside from meeting traditional comfort-zone expectations. As enduring in storage, available for retrieval, as some digests' online archives are, they nevertheless have an ephemeral quality. Readers forget where they saw that narrative on . . . They're reluctant to print out lengthy features for whatever reasons, caution over potential rights' infringement, printing costs, technological limitations, sharing with an associate who doesn't have online access, the legitimate version is the genuine version, whatever, acquiring hardcopy for portability and memorialization is less problematic.

Several print outlets have remarked that online versions of their digests increased circulation of the hardcopy. New revenue streams were developed because online increased exposure, and likely prestige also. Online access to past issues is free in many of the going concerns. Only excerpts or teasers free in the online seige mentality of the laggards. We pay for it directly or indirectly, either way, through advertising. Why not let most if not all of it go for free to readers. To persist in today's marketplace, advertising must coopt the fiction marketplace and vice versa.

Further, the online fiction marketplace must adapt new paradigms in publishing. Online references are chock-a-block full of interactive content. Web page formatting allows for a dynamic multidimensional architecture that a text page doesn't. And online text is machine searchable for that one discrete passage that comes to mind and is tedious to find in printed text.

One existing dynamic in reference Web pages not yet adopted for online prose publication, inline links to dynamic content. That made up word or unfamiliar term that readers stumble over in print, what if in its online version it has a pop-up link that defines it or sounds it out for readers who are interested in things like that--without having to get up and go find a fragging dictionary--and invisible to readers who aren't. Online dictionaries, pedia references do both those things.

Departing from blocky online formatting also might benefit readers by organizing the content in less eyestraining and more syntatically logical structures, making for easier on-screen reading and comprehension. Capability to alter text sizes is one welcome dynamic at some of the more successful online fiction digests. Format the content so that it appeals to readers more than print, but recognize that print isn't going to go away anytime soon.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited January 09, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think I've said elsewhere, but it's germane to what's being dicussed here, and maybe some of you haven't seen the earlier posts, so...online publication just doesn't do it for me. It's not what I want.

I got into this writing thing wanting to see my name attached to a story in a print publication---online didn't exist in those days---and, I think, if all the print magazines disappear, I think I won't bother. I set up a website last year and put up three of my more recent stories---anybody is free to look at them if they want---and, if there are no print mags to submit to, I'll just put them up once I've finished polishing them to my own satisfaction.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

In the Golden Age of Science Fiction, the fiction digest business model was based on the refund value of a pop bottle. For a nickel's worth of bottle refunds, a young impressionable mind could buy a cosmos full of wonder-and-awe entertainment.

Digital publication is the evolving present and future business model of publishing. It's the pop bottle to pulp paradigm reborn in a new package. To recapture that heady fascination with reading, appeals to youth interests are the key. Interactive content is number one for capturing young minds' attention. They're young, get 'em while they're young and they'll be fans for life. Stagnant circulation numbers will grow exponentially and bring a new generation to the wonders of fantastical fiction. Unimaginative publishers languish in the traditions of the past. Forward-thinking publishers will reap the whirlwind. And the publishing world will be a better place for it.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer, I say "Good riddance!" to The Rocky Mountain News. My husband and I made the mistake of subscribing to the The Rocky instead of the Times-Call, which provides more practical rather than sensational news with fewer advertisements for products and services I don't need. There's a two-week stack of The Rocky beside my door that I haven't bothered to read. That won't happen with the T-C.

There are valid reasons why businesses change or go under. Despite what the U.S. Congress wants people to think, this is the time for businesses to take responsibility for years of poor decision-making.

The decision by F&SF to publish bimonthly may mean its owners are reconsidering how they do business. Whether F&SF improves its online presence, changes its in-store marketing, or continues as always except with less frequent publication, it will reap what it sows.

As for our chances publishing, I think TaleSpinner brought up a good point.

quote:
If all the major print mags were to do the same thing, the overall market for stories might reduce by say 10% or 15%. Given that we have a 0.1% probability of getting published in one of them, it hardly reduces our chances of getting into print by anything significant--and makes the kudos of achieving publication even more.

I'll add that news of magazine cutbacks might scare away competition from other new writers.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspirit, I'm glad to say then that I don't work for the Rocky Mountain News.

Is there any word that Asimov's or Analog might follow suit? It wouldn't surprise me if they did, like when one airline makes a change to what it charges passengers and all the others quickly do the same thing.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you don't work for the Rocky Mountain News, too, JenniferHicks, but maybe aspirit didn't consider it "a major city daily" and so felt safe in saying that about it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Analog and Asimov's have been producing "special double issues" for a while now ...
Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Of course they're all available electronically through Fictionwise. Anyone know if that helps their sales at all?

(I think the circulation reports in the mags are print only, to justify circulation claims made when selling space to advertizers; correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, you may have noticed Asimov's and Analog---and, I think, their sister mystery magazines too---changed dimensions a couple of months ago. They got a little taller, a little wider---and a little thinner.

Now, I think some of that may have been done to accomodate mailing these things to their subscribers---if you've ever seen what a flat sorter will do to some of this stuff, you'd know why this could be forced on a publisher---but I don't know how much or how little this change involved cutting content length.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm glad you don't work for the Rocky Mountain News, too, JenniferHicks, but maybe aspirit didn't consider it "a major city daily" and so felt safe in saying that about it.

Actually, I figured she doesn't work for the Rocky because she separated the Rocky and "my paper". Also, working for government, I tend to forget most people take complaints about their workplace personally. I'm accustomed to people who talk like "The Government" is out to get them and lump all levels of government together.

I'm sorry if I offended Jennifer or anyone else.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

The topic of the downsizing has been ongoing at the F&SF forum. GVG says his present plan calls for a 10% drop in book reviews, and a bigger drop in film reviews. He's interested in taking opinions over there about this.
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

JenniferHicks,
Obviously the following is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Yes I would be much more interested in a local newspaper than a national newspaper. My town has a free newspaper that discusses things like decisions of city council meetings, and it ends up in my mailbox twice a week regardless. Perhaps if I didn't already get one for free, I would consider paying for one. For news of the metro area, I usually get that from the TV local news, again, for free. The local TV stations also have websites where they post similar stories to what they had on TV. For national or world news, I use the internet.

I don't think there is a direct comparison between newspapers and print fiction. News depreciates in value very quickly. If a major event happens right now, I can find out about it online probably within an hour (albeit with preliminary details) or wait a few hours for the evening news, both for free. Or I could pay money to receive this same news tomorrow morning.

Of course it doesn't help that one of the local newspapers has been dogging me for months to subscribe. At one point they just started delivering newspapers without our agreement and then started sending bills and I had to call them a half dozen times for them to cancel an account I never started. I can't hold that against newspapers in general, but I will now never consider getting a subscription to that particular newspaper.

Back on topic:
Fiction, on the other hand, doesn't depreciate so quickly, IMO. If I read a good story, it would be just as good as if I read it yesterday or tomorrow or next month. So the delay in time for writing, printing, and mailing, are unimportant. Many stories still depreciate in the long term, of course. I've read some 50's SF and marveled at how terrible some of them were by today's standards, but I expect they kept their value at least on the scale of years.

I don't think that moving to online publishing will produce fewer stories over the long run. On the contrary, publishers will spend less money on all those printing and postage costs and can spend more money either buying more stories or raising their pay rates to attract more writers.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I didn't mean to open a can of worms. Let me just say that if your local newspaper isn't selling a product that you want, then there's no point in buying it. I just hope (please, please, please) that newspapers can figure out a way to make their product attractive in an age when everyone wants everything NOW. Newspapers specialize in in-depth coverage; what you get online or on your television is a sound byte. Maybe in-depth, watch-dog journalism isn't what people are looking for anymore.

And, Steffenwolf, you do have a point. Old newspapers end up lining hamster cages, while fiction magazines go on the bookshelf.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am much like Robert, and probably many others, in that I prefer to read a story that I can physically hold in my hands. There is a sense of permanence, however misgiven, in ink upon paper bound to a spine. There is satisfaction granted with each turn of a page. There is comfort in knowing it rests upon a shelf within a hand's grasp.

On the other hand, reading a screen that disappears with each click of a mouse reminds me of how fleeting this world truly is.

The Internet and TV are my sources of choice for news (short-term information) - today's news quickly becomes tomorrow's kindling. The information that lasts, such as history and science, I prefer to have in the form of books. I do still rely greatly on the Internet for this information simply because I do not have enough money to buy every book I would like to have.

With literature, it is not information that I seek, but a place where I can crawl inside and live for a short time. More importantly, it is a place that I know I can visit whenever I want.

If all of the fiction mags were one day to go solely online, I wonder if it would be possible/profitable for a private company to print out paper copies of the mag and keep it affordable.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Most, if not all, fiction digests and literary journals have online versions anymore. Many offer complete, free access to archived issues. A few prefer online submissions, most of which have Web applications for uploading RTF manuscript submissions. Some of the laggards will accept inline e-mail submissions.

I've seen the future. Early adapters are already on their way. Why do the fantastical genres have to be last? Wait and see. Watch long enough and they won't be able to catch up. The audience will be lost to early adapters' preemptions.

I once had stacks and stacks of magazines. They're not very portable. Most of them them got left behind in one move or another. I used to spend as much on paperbacks as on booze. I don't buy booze anymore, nor paperbacks very often. The ten thousand I'd accumulated over seventeen years weren't very portable, either. They went in lot sales to used bookstores at a penny a cover store credit for new purchases. Most of the titles going for about fifty cents that were available were the same ones that I traded in. I bought a couple of reference books. I kept a few of my favorites, some of which got lost through loaning out.

My library shelves now hold mostly antique dictionaries and reference books, a few replacements for favorite fictions, and a few more-modern references and contemporary novels, several dozens of writing tomes that collect more dust than wear. The rest see regular use.

The gem in my collection, Porter's 1860s Principles of Chemistry, Pre-Mendeleyev's Periodic Table. The original owner's signature practice limns the front and back endpapers in pencil. At the time I bought it for a quarter at a yard sale, it had ten times its present-day appraised value. Online used booksales drove the value down. No matter, it's a classic sample of bookmaking from a bygone era and its content is fascinating.

My 1926 Funk and Wagnall's Standard Encyclopedia complete set in mint condition sans slipcovers has gone up in value since I paid a buck for it at the same yard sale I bought the Porter's. More fabulously fascinating content, like Porter's, that's not on the World Wide Web.

Dictionaries that span a century of changes in language, and my how it's changed. A mass market casecover edition of Black Beauty from before paperbacks came into production. A 1947 Hoyle, rules for gaming entertainments. Know what a four-flusher is? A common derogatory term from the mid 20th Century. The use of the term by GIs and sailors during World War II directly caused the game of poker to abandon four cards in the same suit as a hand superior to a pair. Even though the odds of a four flush are longer than the odds of drawing a pair, a four flush is no longer a hand superior to even an Ace high. A four-flusher is a sneaky low-down churl taking advantage of every niggling trifling card over a noble pair. Webster's 11th Collegiate, 2004, "four-flusher; to bluff in poker holding a four flush; broadly: to make a false claim: BLUFF."

Print isn't going anywhere, the Internet is.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited January 13, 2009).]

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

JenniferHicks, I agree with your sentiments about newspapers and hope, believe, that sooner or later we will come around to paying for decent on-line coverage. After all, a few centuries ago, we moved from free news via word of mouth to paying for newspapers. We may have to go through some uncivilized times before getting there, but here in the UK I think the Guardian is leading the way:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/

It's one of our leading national newspapers, to the left of the Times, and I believe that all the print content is also on-line, certainly much of the in-depth analysis. I never buy it now, always read it online, and feel as informed as I ever was, FWIW.

Cheers,
Pat

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I would say that, though some of the books and magazines I've got are considered valuable now, I've never bought a book for its value---I'm a reader, and I buy to read.
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

JenniferHicks, I agree with your sentiments about newspapers and hope, believe, that sooner or later we will come around to paying for decent on-line coverage. After all, a few centuries ago, we moved from free news via word of mouth to paying for newspapers. We may have to go through some uncivilized times before getting there, but here in the UK I think the Guardian is leading the way:
]http://www.guardian.co.uk/

Pat, I don't think you'll have to worry about that happening. It seems inevitable one way or the other to me. I see one of two things happening with print news.

The first is that free market forces will eventually force the print market down to only a few players. It's happening already with newspapers buying up smaller ones. Sooner or later, there will only be a few left that will be willing and able to pay for quality reporting and news, so they will be the only ones left with news worth reading. When that happens, I would expect that they would miraculously all decide to charge for the on-line stuff as their print markets fade, and would be the only on-line sources with reliable reporting.

The other thing I could see is visual news media pushing print news out entirely as a paying business model. Then, everything on-line would become a free service offered by someone else, like Yahoo, MSN, Google, and so forth, just to get visitors. Kind of like the main street mom and pop stores being all but run out of business by places like Walmart and Target. One stop shopping.

Personally, I think the latter is more likely. People who grew up with the internet expect all their media for free, and everything is heading that way. The genie is out of the bottle. The problem with newspapers is that they are based on very old technology, and don't seem to be able to adapt well as a business model under the new technologies. As the readers used to the old technology fade away with time, the newer readers expectations will force newspapers to either die or adapt. The same goes for music and video, but they are making headway on adapting, where newspapers don't seem to be.

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited January 13, 2009).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

The local fishwrapper here in Gunkhole USA went fully online two years ago. Web posting coincides with delivery time of the biweekly hardcopy. Languishing sales and advertising revenue rose noticeably since then.

I read my antique books, the Funk and Wagnall's cover to cover during a dark, dreary, miserable time. Got me over habituation to alcohol. The Porter's has detailed processes and methods providing for the agricultural, medical, and industrial needs of the times. The university where it was a required textbook served the vocational needs of the region, farmer-chemist-doctor-inventors like Booker T. Washington. One particularly detailed process covers how to get tree stumps out of the ground with a minimum of fuss. Dangerous though, not the kind of reading material that I'd want to fall into the wrong hands.

In endeavoring to get a better handle on where the creative writing game is going, and looking for sales figures related to print-companion free e-digests and novels, I've located a lot of talking points about name writers and publishers. Tor's free e-books, Baen's free library, Mike Resnick on his results, John Scalzi, Thomas Buckell, Cory Doctorow, Charles Stross, Harlequin, HarperCollins, Random House, St. Martin's Press, Yale Univerity Press, blogs galore--some optimistic, some naysayers--all have forayed into the free online fiction marketplace.

Most are in agreement, online giveaways boost hardcopy sales for recognized writers, don't do much for unknowns.

steffenwolf
Member # 8250

Jennifer,
By the way, I didn't mean to be argumentative. You expressed interest in opinions about newspapers, so I thought I'd throw out my two cents.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

As long as newspapers have come up (I don't mind, it seems to me all part of the same problem), I'll bring up a sidebar---the problem of the comic strip. In recent years my local newspaper has dropped several I liked ("Cathy," "Mary Worth," "Baby Blues," and "The Humble Stumble," which ceased publication soon after), added some I don't like (which shall remain nameless by me)---and, in all their rearranging of the paper, kept rearranging the comic strip pages.

I'm an inveterate cutter-outer---I've got piles of some comic strips going back to the late 1970s. I also like these things in consistent piles---and the rearrangement defeats this consistency.

In addition to that, there's two comic strips I like, but which have lapsed into what amounts to living death---"Peanuts," which I am devoted to, but which in my paper currently runs strips I cut out back in the 1990s---and "For Better or For Worse," which I was devoted to, but whose creator made the decision to go back to Square One (in both style and content).

I'm forced to go online to find my favorites---and, also, find ones not in my local paper, but that I like and want to read regularly. The notion of "paying for what you get" came up above. Last year, I finally bit the bullet and subscribed to the "goComics" service, to get several bundled together in a neat package I can print out and paste into notebooks. (Not ideal---there's some kind of glitch in my web browser that every so often prevents one or other of the comics from printing out correctly and completely, forcing me to go to their pages to get a corrected page and printout.) (Nor does this service have every comic I like to read---I may eventually subscribe to a competing service as well.)

I made the decision to abandon massive cutting-out of comics from my newspaper---I just don't need them anymore. And I may find I just don't need a newspaper either.

steffenwolf
Member # 8250

Regarding comics, I read them in the paper for a while, but realized there's only one I like (pearls before swine), and it wasn't even in my newspaper!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.