Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » It's okay to take a break

Author Topic: It's okay to take a break
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . as I was reminded by my good friend Lord Byron:

For the sword outwears its sheath
And the soul outwears the breast
And the heart must pause to breathe
And love itself have rest

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EchoLaughing
Member # 8441

- posted      Profile for EchoLaughing   Email EchoLaughing         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool poem excerpt. I don't know enough poetry.

And I definitely agree. I think I'd go crazy from stress if I didn't take breaks where I just do nothing. But are you specifically talking about taking a break from writing? (Hehe, I've never written anything long enough to need to take a break from it.)

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't use it, you lose it.

Not really a poem, but its true.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you consider the "break" time as filling the reservoir from which you draw (for energy, ideas, etc), then it actually is a necessary part of writing. If you don't fill the reservoir once in a while, what are you going to write about?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you consider the "break" time as filling the reservoir from which you draw (for energy, ideas, etc), then it actually is a necessary part of writing. If you don't fill the reservoir once in a while, what are you going to write about?

True, we all need to feed the machine. However, I defined 'break' as switching off the machine; every time I've done that it is hard to get it going again and usually you have to re-learn stuff.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Even worse than switching off the machine is when/if the machine stalls. I recently recovered from a terrible stall in which I fell out of the habit of writing daily. I found that when I did not steal time for writing from other areas of life the writing did not get done. And other areas of life guard their time jealously; time I had made for writing was taken back up by these time-hording other tasks which returned them to me for writing only grudgingly. Be careful!

Write every day even if it is only for yourself. Time is precious and if you don't use it to write you will use it elsewhere. Stealing it back is the hard part.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheyne, you're absolutely right, and I think that's the most powerful argument I've heard for writing every day.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.